ROTJ Armor Paint colors

bearden6521

Active Hunter
Could someone please post the proper/accurate paints required to paint ROTJ armor (metallics, yellows, greens, maroon, etc).

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the Rogue Studios color list. Most people just use any kind of silver, aluminum, whatever spray paint for the underlayer of the metal look you see. All the paints listed are Polly Scale or Floquil airbrush paints. Both paint brands are the same, only Polly Scale is acrylic based and Floquil is enamel based.......

Jet Pack (AOSW version)
* Light Blue
* Chrome
* Grimey black (weathering for exhausts etc.)
* Boxcar Red
* UP armor Yellow
* White

Armor (AOSW version)
* Reefer Yellow (Shoulders and knees put on heavier on knees but not much this color gets darker the more you throw down).
* ATSF Catwhisker Yellow (Shoulders and knees the trim around the scratches).
* UP Armor Yellow (Shoulders and knees to highlight darker spots).
* US Med. Green (Chest, cod, back, buttplate).
* Yellow Zinc Chromate (I could not locate in floquil so I used testors for trim around scratches)
* Black (For speckles and weathering)
* Chrome

Gauntlets (AOSW)
* Wisconson Central Maroon
* Weathered Black (weathering and highlights creates that purplish look you see)
* Chrome
* Rock Island Maroon (calc buttons)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Could someone please post an accurate rattle can color for the armor (green) or should I go with Krylon Italian Olive(3522) like mentioned for the dome on a ROTJ helmet in that thread? I'm looking for an accurate rattle can color for ROTJ shoulders and knees as well. TK409 mentions Rustoleum sun yellow on his site BTW...

Also, I plan on painting on the yellow and silver chips on the armor and shoulder/knees. What would be the best type and colors for doing that as well?

Thanks!

Ok I have a question if you paint your armor spruce green shouldnt the back of the helmet be spruce green also to match and then the olive to make the dulled paint look on the rest or am I wrong? My helment is on its way so I just wanted to check on that. Thanks!:)

afettfullofdollars recently got a new set of armor and will be experimenting with it to find a set of colors for the airbrush challenged, like me. be patient, i have faith that he'll have the list up by june.

He refers to all of the paints listed as "airbrush paints" in the first paragraph (with the exception of the silver/metallic color...Are you saying that I should purchase airbrush paints to hand paint the silver and yellow chips???

Um. . . not to be a wise-acre, but all that info is in Mr. Fett's first post. ;)

Thanks for the head's up. I will be looking forward to seeing that thread. (y)

afettfullofdollars recently got a new set of armor and will be experimenting with it to find a set of colors for the airbrush challenged, like me. be patient, i have faith that he'll have the list up by june.

He refers to all of the paints listed as "airbrush paints" in the first paragraph (with the exception of the silver/metallic color...Are you saying that I should purchase airbrush paints to hand paint the silver and yellow chips???

They're not "airbrush paints," just regular paint applied with an airbrush.
The Floquil or Polly Scale paints can be brushed or sprayed on.

Thank you for explaining that better. I honestly have no idea about airbrushing :cry . At least I know what paints to look for now. Thanks to all of you for your help!

They're not "airbrush paints," just regular paint applied with an airbrush.
The Floquil or Polly Scale paints can be brushed or sprayed on.

No problem!
I think people sometimes don't take into account the different experience levels people have with things like painting.
There are a lot of different paint brands out there, and a lot of different methods of applying them.
For some more inexperienced painters, an airbrush has some kind of stigma attached, like it's something mystical and scary. :lol: It's true that using an airbrush is a little different than just popping the top off a spray can, but if you mess around with a simple little single action Testors or Badger airbrush (I use a single action Badger, myself) and get some practice, you'll find that it's pretty fun! The one I use was only $20.00 and I've been using it for close to 4 years.
It will certainly give you a lot more color options, instead of searching high and low for certain colors of spray paint. (y)

Your exactly right, I feel that way. I've been kicking around the idea of trying it out and may just have to do so. Thanks again for explaining this stuff. :cheers

No problem!
I think people sometimes don't take into account the different experience levels people have with things like painting.
There are a lot of different paint brands out there, and a lot of different methods of applying them.
For some more inexperienced painters, an airbrush has some kind of stigma attached, like it's something mystical and scary. :lol: It's true that using an airbrush is a little different than just popping the top off a spray can, but if you mess around with a simple little single action Testors or Badger airbrush (I use a single action Badger, myself) and get some practice, you'll find that it's pretty fun! The one I use was only $20.00 and I've been using it for close to 4 years.
It will certainly give you a lot more color options, instead of searching high and low for certain colors of spray paint. (y)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back