Rose Fem-Mando

SciFiGal

Hunter
I realized I've had this new version since Dragoncon and haven't shared... so here we go!

Rose Mando v2
dcmando1.jpg
mandoback.jpg

The final design is a combination of Saxe and my ideas rolled into one bizare look... Basically his original concept was kinda sexist, but in a sexy way. Incorperating chaps as a way to symbolize "female mando's second duty is to reproduce, first is to fight and defend". I rolled with it and made it a part of the final design.

mdia.jpg

I constructed all the soft parts, he cut and painted all the custom hard parts (except jet pack made and produced by his brother from an old Nerf gun).

The undersuit is a single piece with seams down the sides (no waist seam), zipper up the back. The chest has a see-through mesh panel, and despite the appearance from high flash cameras, the rest is pitch black. Still part of the undersuit is the shoulder sleeves with trim and neckseal.

Chest is a corseted vest (lightweight boning installed to keep shape around my shapelyness). Hammered eyelets lace up the sides (inspired by Zam's vest). Laces also at front of chest and neck mainly for looks.

Jet Pack is mounted to backplate which rests on shoulders quite comfortably. Front chest plates had to be glued onto vest for security, took alot of trial and error to get them to lay right, but we made it work.

Belt is simpler then original design, only thing custom built is a holster for my Jango Fett blaster. Chain dangles, again inspired by Zam.

Pants... here is where it gets REALLY complicated...
Chaps are a bell bottom cut with elastic at the ankle, then attached in garter belt style to a strip of fabric which velcros around my waist. The duster/loin cloth is then attached to the "garter belt". This is all completed with trim, shin pockets, and knee plates.

My boots and hands have small plates as well.

In addition, I've added a satin linned velvet cape (Royal Guard inspired, since that is my main 501st costume).

That's my custom mando! I'd like to weather the suit to match the armor some, but really that's all I think it needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Rose. Your Fem Mando is one of the best out there. Not only original but realistic looking as well.

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

and finally i think i have convinced my wife into costuming :D

Rose

do you have pics of the garter belt / chaps system on its own? Also if you have any pics of the how the sleeves are attached to the undersuit, that would be really useful. Sorry to be a pain. cheers (y)

Really well done suit, and awesome weathering. (y) Everything matches together so perfectly! The only thing I would like to change is those strangely clean soft parts :)

By the way, I thought the mandalorian standard to have a completely non-transparent visor? Or maybe it's just that very bright flash from the camera that's decieving.

Rose,

I like what you have done with your suit....nice job on it.

Not to get too far off topic, but have you ever thought of darkening up your helmet visor? As pics are taken of you, you can see right through it.

Just curious...

You seem to attract quite a few custom mandos down there. Maybe I'll need to commute the enxt time your holding one, most of the cons I go to are kind of devoid of my customs bretheren :(

Rose,
Not to get too far off topic, but have you ever thought of darkening up your helmet visor? As pics are taken of you, you can see right through it.
Just curious...

To be honest... that's my fault... I wanted her to have a clear visor... she didn't like it, so we stuck some clear red tint on it, but it's still too light. I *think* what ROse is going to try and do is use a chrome visor and give it a cote of clear red. Just enough to tent it...

I'm sure she'll chime in on it also...:)

Thanks everyone for the compliments. It's alot of hard work that's seemed to pay off well, fun times all around!

Yes, the suit is full of "compromises" in design and construction. I've seen enough mirrored visors now to know that's what I like overall, with a red tint if possible.

And again, yes... it needs weathering on the soft parts to match the armor. But I work a certain amount of time on constructing something, it takes alot of courage (or someone else) to paint, burn, and stain my sewing work. I'm always worried I'll screw it up to the point of "you have to make a new suit". Bah!

The concept of the jet pack was mainly "communications", with a bit of juice to quick bursts more for jumping high rather then flying. Although, it is just an old nerf gun originally ;)

Ronin, I'll try and take some pics of the up-close construction tomorrow, share the details.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. It's alot of hard work that's seemed to pay off well, fun times all around!

Yes, the suit is full of "compromises" in design and construction. I've seen enough mirrored visors now to know that's what I like overall, with a red tint if possible.

And again, yes... it needs weathering on the soft parts to match the armor. But I work a certain amount of time on constructing something, it takes alot of courage (or someone else) to paint, burn, and stain my sewing work. I'm always worried I'll screw it up to the point of "you have to make a new suit". Bah!

The concept of the jet pack was mainly "communications", with a bit of juice to quick bursts more for jumping high rather then flying. Although, it is just an old nerf gun originally ;)

Ronin, I'll try and take some pics of the up-close construction tomorrow, share the details.
What nerf gun did you use??

No, it was old, and colorful. We sanded it down and made it unrecognizable... so I have no idea what exact nerf gun it was. Had two barrels and a handle you pumped back and forth that made the two barrels go in and out. *shrug*

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back