RF Stalk too thick

Spawn77

New Hunter
Hello,

I'm new to building helmets and have a boba kit but the stalk appears to be too thick to fit between the helm and ear cap. Do I sand the ears or sand the stalk down?

Thank you.

What kind of helmet? Did the stalk come with it?

You can sand it down. Just be careful not to go too far. You don't want much of a space between the ear cap and the stalk.

I'm not sure what type of helmet it is, I impulse bought it on ebay without doing much research until after. It's larger than my old don post helmet though. The stalk did come with the helmet.

Is the stalk resin? If so, I'd consider replacing it with a metal one. You'll probably have to sand the ear pieces and the stalk to get everything to fit right.

I would get the ear ready to go together, then sand the stalk down a little at a time. You want it to fit the gap properly between the ear cap and helmet. Not too tight, not too loose. Should taper it up so its not as obvious, unless the other end needs it as well for fitting inside the RF topper.

The stalk is resin. The ear cap fits on the helmet fine, the stalk is just too thick. It does fit into the RF top well though. I'll attempt to taper it without sanding the entire side of the stalk.

Resin = snap

Not always. It really depends on how you handle your helmet and also what your doing with it. I had a resin stalk for 2yrs before i switched it to a metal one and i never broke mine. Also if its a display helmet, it really wont matter much. Is it recommend to get a metal stalk, sure, but you definitely dont NEED it. You just need to be a little extra careful with a resin stalk is all.

Not always. It really depends on how you handle your helmet and also what your doing with it. I had a resin stalk for 2yrs before i switched it to a metal one and i never broke mine. Also if its a display helmet, it really wont matter much. Is it recommend to get a metal stalk, sure, but you definitely dont NEED it. You just need to be a little extra careful with a resin stalk is all.

Ohhh snap Lou

Yes, I plan on using this helmet as a display piece. In the future I may upgrade to a metal stalk, funds are pretty tight right now though. I didnt realize how many paints this thing would need.

Well... I accidentally broke the stalk. Everything was together and working then I dropped the helmet and it's now in three pieces. Anyone know where I can get a metal one? I'll need a new RF top as well because this one was jb welded in. Ugh... I'm off to an awesome start on this project.

Well... I accidentally broke the stalk. Everything was together and working then I dropped the helmet and it's now in three pieces. Anyone know where I can get a metal one? I'll need a new RF top as well because this one was jb welded in. Ugh... I'm off to an awesome start on this project.

LOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!! @ crumdum

I have some aluminum ones, i can sell you one. $25 shipped.

IMG_8789_zpsgdl6hscm.gif

IMG_8792_zpso5iguzib.gif

IMG_8791_zpsal5eb9tl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have on pretty good authority that a memeber will be doing a run of hollow aluminum stalks fairly soon. When they do come up for sale, I recommend one if you plan on doing a nice light kit for the helmet.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back