Return Edge adjustment

Vithar

New Hunter
I've been out of the game for some time, and wanted to get my suit up to snuff for a potential future 501st approval. I have a set of older animefan FP armor that AFettFullofDollars was kind enough to paint up for me back in 2017. Unfortunately, looking at the current updated CRL for ROTJ Fett, it appears the requirement now is the armor having a "Return edges should be no more than 3-4mm." The issue is my return edge on my painted armor is 5mm. Is there a way to trim down my existing return edge to 501st standards without hurting the paintjob? I believe the armor is ABS plastic. I've read some advice to use masking tape as a guide along the edge, then trim with knife of Dremel -but I haven't been able to find any accounts of people trimming already painted armor. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!

Fett Armor.jpg

I honestly don’t know if I would even mess with it. People get so hung up on the 501st requirements like that’s supposed to be the Bible for building an accurate Fett and it’s not. If you look at photos of the actual suit and there are some great photos of the return edge if you look at the touring pics of the ROTJ hero suit you can see that the return edge isn’t evenly cut and there are some edges that are probably over 5mm and some edges that are like 2mm. When they made these costumes they just cut it out and didn’t give it as much though as we do when trying to re-create the suits lol If it were me I would get everything else up to snuff and then if they say something trim it down!

Agree with Spicy above but will say that I recently did exactly what you're thinking about doing because my return edges were too wide for my own satisfaction. I was able to use a dremel wheel to gradually reduce the edge to my satisfaction. The key is to hit the armor from the inside back of the edge so that the wheel never touches the painted part that will remain visible. It worked well for me but I took it very slow.

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back