Recommended type of paint?

Vader41607

New Hunter
So, What is the recommended type of paint to use with an airbrush? Acrylic or Enamel? I'm attempting to paint the Helmet, Armor, Jetpack. Thanks for you time and help

I find the enamels to be more durable, however, the dry time is so considerable (10ish hours for comfortable "Curing" on Humbrol) that I've made a full switch to exclusively acrylic if I can get the colors there. That said, they're both great!

I am a new member as well and are leaning toward acrylics.
Do you guys usually clear-coat over the acrylic paint job to make the surface more durable ?

Thanks. Bob

I agree with everyone here, it really ends up being your personal preference. I prefer acrylics because of their ease of use with an airbrush and regular painting brushes. Topped it off with a few coats of Testors Dull Cote. I've only ever had to touch up one spot on my lower torso armor in about 15 troops (due to screws from my rifle scratching up the lower torso ab armor, which has been remedied. I've not had a single issue since). I've painted all my life and strictly use acrylics. I'm a novice airbrush artist, so sticking with acrylics just made sense to me. Much, much easier to clean your brushes/tools with acrylics. Just my two cents

Enamels are way more durable and from what I've seen from everyone's posts on TDH, the more popular choice.

I'm new to this as well. I'm in the middle of painting the JP (learning to airbrush on the fly) and I'm using humbrol enamel. There was a pretty steep learning curve on getting the paint thinned appropriately and not making a mess of things while painting, but overall I'm happy with the enamels and they seem very durable.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back