Vest Question: Plate mounting methods?

Lilac Fett

New Hunter
Oya!

I'm planning on mounting my Boba plates on my vest soon and I'm expecting to use velcro. But I would like to hear about other methods used to mount plates. I'm curious as to what you use and how you go about doing it?

• I did try the magnet method, but those shifted around when I snagged 'em on something.
  • I never got to the clutch-pin method, but I know a lot of people really like that.
  • I like the tiny-leather strapping method that JCFETT used but never got there quite yet. Maybe next upgrade.
  • I currently use a velcro method for most plates. I sew-on-velcro to the soft parts for one side of the velcro solution. For the other side of the velcro equation/plate side, I use Gorilla Glue/Devcon plastic weld w/adhesive-velcro for the plate adhesive. That allows me to adjust plate orientation and tear off when needed. I know others don't like it velcro, but the velcro (sew + glue) works for me. Caveat: I don't troop in hot weather, especially full sun in the summertime. The hottest I've been outside was 81 F and it was nighttime for 5 hours.

Eyelets in your vest will be your best bet. It’ll be secure, screen accurate, and you won’t see large gaps between armor and vest.

Personally I've used contact adhesive to stick the metal bolts to plastic, its a two part bond kit and in the uk its called a mitre kit, that's what I've used on my plates as it is the only thing I've found that sticks and stays stuck , It consists of a glue which is clear and then a spray that is an activator that hardens the glue solid as a rock bobamaker has used epoxy method which I improvised on o_O as in the tutorial I mentioned ! ( Attaching Armour : Tutorial) click on blue bit to see link
hope this helps
As believe you me I've tried many different methods, starting with press studs that didn't stay pressed, Velcro that came loose and fell off, jewellery clips that forever lost their backs and left me stuck with pin marks where I didn't want them! Painful - if I wanted my nipples piercing I would've paid money for it!! It's frustrating when first attempting a build because you want to try everything on to see how it looks and it was only by doing this that I found all the flaws in the methods that I tried for attaching the armour, as in life it's trial and error, unless you work in bomb disposal ha ha.
good luck with it all.

Last edited:
Locking back pins ftw. If you use clutches they will fall off. The locking ones are a different story. They hold my medals on my dress uniform just fine and never come off. Plus you're not damaging the vest if you ever decide to sell it later.

Last edited:
Locking back pins ftw. If you use clutches they will fall off. The locking ones are a different story. They hold my medals on my dress uniform just fine and never come off. Plus you're not damaging the vest if you ever decide to sell it later.
deathxcircle is very correct when it comes to not wanting to damage the flack vest ! although I'll be honest I only tried clutch pins and not the locking type although the pins on each are both the same they are like flimsy thumb tacks unless they have medals professionally welded on them as apart from the clutches falling off I struggled to firmly attach the said pins and keep them stuck!
YOULL NEVER KNOW TILL YOU GIVE IT A GO o_O
71F-AqSSDeL._SL1500_.jpg flimsy thumb tacks untitled.png professionally welded

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back