Attaching Armour : Tutorial

Discussion in 'Boba Fett Costume' started by bobamaker, Jul 19, 2007.

1. bobamaker

bobamaker Active Member

Just finished attaching my chest armour to the vest. i used steel eyelets, as can be seen on the ILM props. i bought the eyelets from a 'Hobbycraft' store, they are very easy to attach, everything is included in the pack except a hammer.

You can trace around your own armour onto cardboard for a template, but make sure that you keep the same curvature or the holes in your jacket won't line up with the bolts on your armour when finished.

Just a note: If you wish to troop in your armour you will need to cut off any excess bolt when finished (a dremel will do the job), get the bolt as short as possible so it won't dig into you.

2. mrgr8ness

mrgr8ness Active Member

3. Dark Amon

Dark Amon Active Member

good job Daz !
    i search how i fix my bobamaker armor on my flak jacket now i see the answer ! but can i fix the bolt without maked a hole ?
  4. Jimmy BufFETT

Jimmy BufFETT Well-Known Member

Very good idea, DAZ!

Got a question for people trooping in the armor. After walking around and putting the armor on and off for multiple events, there may be chance one of the bolts may come loose. Would you recommend using a thread-locker (like medium strength lock-tight) to prevent this from happening?
  5. MandalorFett

MandalorFett Well-Known Member

Using a dab of hot glue on the end would keep it fastened and provide a little cushion from the bolt head.
    boba68 likes this.
  6. never ending fett

never ending fett Active Member

Great Idea! And I really like your addition of the hot glue MandaloreFett, just peel the glue off when you need to and reglue it. Hot glue's cheap. I think this is the route i'll end up going.
    Keegan likes this.
  7. NovallTalon

NovallTalon Well-Known Member

Awesome tutorial Daz!
  8. Keegan

Keegan Community Staff

Great job Daz! I have been meaning to do a tutorial on this forever.

If anyone is curious, I know how to make it with a pretty accurate pattern for attachment, and many other things too if anyone is intrested.

Can't wait to see your finished costume!
    Brown6910 likes this.
  9. Seven

Seven Active Member

Really nice to see this method being so nicely laid out. If anyone asks, this is the way to go. Thank you BM!:cheers
  10. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Well-Known Member

Or, you could use a cap nut. It screws on, and has a rounded head. No mess, and it doesn't dig into you. Drop of Loctite Threadlocker, and you're good to go! ;)
  11. dung0beetle

dung0beetle Active Member

Why would you need to take your armor off?:confused;):p
  12. bobamaker

bobamaker Active Member

Try these, they're called "locking end caps" or "star washers" these will be perfect :) These won't come off whilst trooping.

13. mandalore697

mandalore697 Active Member

Great tutorial Daz, I'll definitely be doing this for my armour.....

...just when I think I'm done, something else comes along!!
  14. Mojo Fett

Mojo Fett Well-Known Member

Great tutorial Daz... (y)
  15. never ending fett

after hours of trooping in the heat wearing (maybe) a t-shirt, then the jumpsuit, then the padded vest, then a layer of some sort of plastic or other hard material to hold in the heat and the vest is bound to get stinky. If not you could end up spilling something on it or having someone spill something on you.
  16. Mojo Fett

Mojo Fett Well-Known Member

I think DB was being sarcy... ;) :lol:
  17. dung0beetle

dung0beetle Active Member

I couldn't find the sarcasm smiley...
  18. SaxeCoburg

SaxeCoburg Active Member

That's cool... I more or less did the same with the grommets on my ESB Boba. What I like is I can get the vest really tight up against the back of the armour, no gap like I had with snaps or velcro
  19. Ronin677

Ronin677 Well-Known Member

Just when i needed a better method, you come up with the goods :). Thanks Daz (y)

oh the new method will work wonders with some new armour i am about to order :lol: expect the order any day soon daz
  20. shabad

shabad Active Member

Great method Daz, I think I'll upgrade to this with my current armor even before I upgrade to my newer armor. I also really like your tutorial method, very easy to follow.
  21. mixmastermace

mixmastermace Member

What about those of us that don't have resin copies of our armor lying around? :)

How do you mark the holes in that case? Or do you just make paper/cardboard copies?
  22. younginfett

younginfett Member

looks nice Daz i used the good ol snap method and that worked well but this is great
  23. mandosoldier

mandosoldier Member

How would I make resin copies? anyway to do it with stuff around the house?

24. never ending fett

How do you go about this with the collar and back armor bolts? What I mean is do you have a seperate attachment point for the collar armor to the vest that is different from where the collar and back armor connect with the "keyboard key" bolts/studs. And following this same train of thought, when you are attching the backplate you can't really use this method can you? How could you screw it on once the vest is on you? Would you just use velcro or snaps then on the back along with the bolts/studs?

I hope I made this clear...not sure how best to ask this...i'll wait to attach the collar and back until I get that all figured out i guess.
  25. mandosoldier

mandosoldier Member

the collar should overlap with the backplate, therefore you can make the studs into bolts themselves. This way you can bold on the cape and have a hinge like atachment, the rest of it is snaps or velcro.