Post Imp Mando Scratch build

BrandNewMando

New Hunter
Hi, I just received my raw 3d print of the mandalorian helmet from Galactic Armory. Getting ready to start sanding. I am a complete rookie, this is the first helmet I have made, so any tips, tricks, and tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

I know its suggested I use bondo putty, anyone have any alternatives for that? Would drywall putty work?

Thanks!

Attached is my MandoCreator concept

Attachments

• IMG_8731.jpeg
    IMG_8731.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 86
Update: Just finished sanding the helmet, time for bondo! Also got a coat of paint on my blaster. Is acrylic okay for the details and weathering?

Hi, I just received my raw 3d print of the mandalorian helmet from Galactic Armory. Getting ready to start sanding. I am a complete rookie, this is the first helmet I have made, so any tips, tricks, and tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

I know its suggested I use bondo putty, anyone have any alternatives for that? Would drywall putty work?

Thanks!
Depending on how rough the 3D print is, you may only need to use the Bondo glazing putty to fill in any imperfections. Do not use drywall putty. It will crack and flake off. When using Bondo, do so in a well ventilated area. When applying and sanding a respirator or at least a dust mask.

Got on the grind today! Almost there!
IMG_9088.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9090.jpeg
    IMG_9090.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9091.jpeg
    IMG_9091.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9092.jpeg
    IMG_9092.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9094.jpeg
    IMG_9094.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9104.jpeg
    IMG_9104.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 106
Awesome job, that looks great! If I may offer an opinion, I think your weathering is too heavy and too regular. You should be able to use some isopropyl and a rag to take some of that back down. Hit the large flat areas and see where that gets you. There's so much right now that it's hiding your awesome paint job!

Yes... I kind of thought the same. I had already clear coated it, I'm guessing there's no possible way to still take the weathering off...?

Regardless, I'm planning to resand and paint sometime after Halloween, as all the small imperfections are already bothering me xD

Thank you for the honest feedback though!

Yeah if it's clear coated I'm not sure there's much you can do short of sanding it all down. Looking forward to your progress!
Also, I'm curious what's that extra channel inside of the faceplate portion of the helmet? Some way to sandwich the faceplate in?

Yeah if it's clear coated I'm not sure there's much you can do short of sanding it all down. Looking forward to your progress!
Also, I'm curious what's that extra channel inside of the faceplate portion of the helmet? Some way to sandwich the faceplate in?
Yes! One of the reasons i love galactic armory's helmet, the visor slid right down in there, only had to glue it at the top and bottom, i cannot stress how much easier that is than gluing it to the actual helmet!

Okay-- thanks to this awesome community, I discovered Sintra board, which I'll be using for the rest of the armor for my mando. Any tips?
Here's the link: I was thinking 1/8"and 12 by 24'', (2 sq ft) that should be enough?

Okay-- thanks to this awesome community, I discovered Sintra board, which I'll be using for the rest of the armor for my mando. Any tips?
Here's the link: I was thinking 1/8"and 12 by 24'', (2 sq ft) that should be enough?
When heating Sintra to shape it, just like Bondo, make sure to do so in a well ventilated area and use some kind of respirator. It puts off some pretty toxic fumes when heated.

A flight suit has been ordered! I ended up getting something different than most people... tactical gear. I purchased a black ripstop BDU shirt, as well as pants to go with it. The Sintra will be here tomorrow, everything is coming along! A rough (slightly rushed) version of the kit will hopefully be done by Halloween! The only thing left to purchase is a nice pair of gauntlets...

A little late to the party...
But I like seeing another "generic" Mando build rather then the named characters. Cool!
I would just maybe consider takeing the "colorfulness" a little down. Darker, more earthy, colors usually look more professional and in-universe. And also look a lot better on photos :) You choice on the helmet seems not too bright, but I would consider lessening the weathering and rather making the base colors a litte more earthy.

But I like seeing another "generic" Mando build rather then the named characters. Cool!
I would just maybe consider takeing the "colorfulness" a little down. Darker, more earthy, colors usually look more professional and in-universe. And also look a lot better on photos :) You choice on the helmet seems not too bright, but I would consider lessening the weathering and rather making the base colors a litte more earthy.
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of people say this, although I'm not a dark and broody kinda guy haha. I like bright colors, my other 2 color scheme options were yellow and purple or bright red and gold, this orange and silver won the poll. I'll prolly repaint sometime xD.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back