General Overheating issues - anybody tried air con system in the jetpack?

fetfetishlad

Jr Hunter
Hi guys, well, I'm having terrible overheating issues in my ROTJ Fett - I am 53 and disabled & cannot control my body temperature too well due to chronic health issues.

I am on the look out for a new XL helmet to put fans in as my current lid is way too tight inside.

I'm wondering if there is anybody that's had a go at utilizing the space in the jetpack to fit an air blower system?? I'm thinking it could have two air pipes that slot through the back armour and up under the neck seal into the helmet?

Your thoughts and ideas would be good to hear.

Cheers

This maybe an option for you and your special circumstances, I know they are not cheap, but helps my buddy in his race truck (pictured on the website). Basicly a battery pack runs a small pump that is circulating ice water from the reservoir, through a special t-shirt and cools your core. They also sell DIY parts, so you could buy a pump, a shirt, some connectors and tubing, then come up with your own custom resevoir and battery pack that will fit inside your JP.

http://www.ultrachiller.com/catalog/

Last edited by a moderator:
There really is no good answer for heat issues with a Boba Fett. I have multiple other costumes besides RoTJ Fett...and this costume is the hottest by far. The issue is the layering that is done with the costume...there is no good way for heat to escape the body. If you added the cooling system like the one shown above or other suit air conditioning systems they all would add significant weight to an already heavy costume. I am blessed my jetpack weighs only 6 lbs, most I know have significantly more heavy jetpacks.

I would suggest venting the costume. What I mean is install mesh areas into parts of the vest that are covered by the armor (especially the back) and likewise the flight suit. Try to reduce the layer effect. Lots of Vaders have mesh backs to their suits where the cape covers it.

Agreed my friend, not to mention that my jetpack is a Darth Vorhees model coming in at a hefty 8Kilos. I would really like the Manofwar one as it's only 4 Kilos but the value of the £ just went crazy due to Brexit fears - not to mention postage and Import Tax... (n)

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure that would work as the area cut away is still covered unlike on a Vader :(

I use a cooling vest. It's low profile enough that it stays hidden under the flak vest. Usually good for a couple hours.

http://www.ezcooldown.com/ezcooldown-complete-performers-pcm-vest.html
Did hazmat stuff for years wearing cooling vests. In hot conditions they are only good for 30 minutes max...and add significant weight to what you wear. To be fair though that was conditions of a constant 120 degrees inside a sealed hazmat suit.

Sent via Holonet from Slave I

Thanks Vod, that looks like a viable option indeed. Their description seems cryptic as they say use the one that's not so cold in the hotter rooms?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually that is pretty obvious, why the hell did I not think of that LOL. Only beef is the weight of water in my 8 Kilo jetpack :/

Did hazmat stuff for years wearing cooling vests. In hot conditions they are only good for 30 minutes max...and add significant weight to what you wear. To be fair though that was conditions of a constant 120 degrees inside a sealed hazmat suit.

Sent via Holonet from Slave I

From experience, these are good for about 2-3 hours in a stuffy convention hall. I actually don't mind exterior troops for the fresh air, and we are lucky that it doesn't break 25-30C here.

Yes defo, an outside troop gets the air into the suit and is far more pleasant a troop. On the indoor stuff I suffer but it's at lunchtime when we break then I come to put it back on and its soggy - it's grim.

An update on my ongoing thoughts about controlling the temperature better inside Fett. I have a 100% Cotton jumpsuit being made for me which will help a lot but my seemstress has been poorly for over two months now so I'll just have to wait on that one as it's been half made since before the Rogue One release. I have made inquiries about a new bigger helmet too so I can get two fans in. (no way they'll go in my current cast. Again that will be a few months to get made, come over from the US & then prep & paint etc.

I have had a thought about body cooling following a suggestion of an expensive cooling vest. I have ordered two Koolpack Gel Ice Packs & felt bags to try. They are 11"x5" and only around £5 each. They are pre frozen before a troop and are reusable, so i guess I'd take them in a soft carry picnic coolbox and use one in the morning and another in the afternoon.

When I get them I will figure out a system for them to hang on me & sit under the flac vest and give them a try.

I cannot think of anywhere else they cold go to be effective (the leg map pockets are perfect but i can't see that helping my upper body much) I'm thinking one across my mid chest horizontally & maybe one down the back somehow if I can get it in without the metal jetpack harness bursting it. If you have any ideas I'd be interested?

I will keep you posted. :)

I have the same vest with my red guard (head to toe velvet with an huge unvented helmet) and concur with Death Proof - it's good for a few hours and a lifesaver. They suggest the higher temp one for hot locations because they last longer. I went with the slim packs so they don't show through the costume. You can dunk the packs in ice water to quickly get them back to cold temps. It's a must in Texas - we break 105* F (40* C) regularly.

Forgot to mention, the other thing we use that was suggested by one of our Vader troopers is underarmor. Counter-intuitive, I know, but putting on another layer of skin tight compression wear actually helped keep us cool. My best friend and I always wear a maroon set we got at eastbay.com under our robes. If it's really hot you can spray them with water before you suit up.

Progress update, I have ordered a new Techkewl Phase cooling vest from ebay (without any gel packs) for £39 which is pretty good price. I have ordered 2x sets of gel packs from a 3rd party that will fit into the netting pockets. The whole thing coming in at about £70.

It's funny you should say that, I fired off an email last night to Under Armour to see if they do their heatgear balaclava in grey (i've seen shots of it in grey on google images). I currently wear a thin grey one and it helps dissipate the heat a bit but mainly stops the sweat running into my eyes or dripping off my nose :/

Progress update, I have ordered a new Techkewl Phase cooling vest from ebay (without any gel packs) for £39 which is pretty good price. I have ordered 2x sets of gel packs from a 3rd party that will fit into the netting pockets. The whole thing coming in at about £70.

Looks very similar to the FlexiFreeze vest (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P30358) I have for my Vader suit -- overheating is a real problem with all that leather and wool compared to Fett. Works great, making +2 hour troops a breeze!

Yes that's the style although the ice packs I have are11"x5" big single packs so should have more surface area to cool than the small cookies on this design. The Vader must be a pig, I know the rear areas can be cut out & mesh put in but even still.

No it's just Texas and he hadn't vented his suit yet. He's a 6'3" former Marine power lifter so I don't know if I'd call him a pig...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back