Newb has questions

Hey guys. I would like to know any information you guys might have on how the screen used armor was made, if anyone knows. I have searched quite thoroughly through the 15 or so pages here, but can only find bits and pieces. I am not very familiar with metal working/ fiberglass/ plastic stuff/ anything really, but I would like to learn up and start making this stuff myself. I want to reserve buying someone elses stuff as a last resort since it kind of feels like cheating.:) Also any information on casting pieces would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks peeps

Do a search for "templates." There are (or will be soon) templates for the helmet, armor, gauntlets, rocket pack, and even shin tools. If you can cut and paste, you can make the props. The search button at the top of the page is extremely effective. Just use words like templates, tutorial, scratch built, etc.

If you need help with anything, just post and someone will be there with all the info you need.

Welcome to TDH!

Thanks buddy. I've looked around a bit more and decided that I will more than likely have to buy a helmet. As for everything else, I am starting to get the picture. Do most of the casters on here start with something like clay to make the initial pieces, then form over them with something to make the cast? Sorry if this is beyond newbish but this stuff facinates me.

I think that the screen used Armour was in fact Vac formed, correct me if i'm wrong guys.
As DungObeetle suggests, there are templates for almost all parts for the BF outfit now... thanks to Alan.
You can make most if not all items using Sintra and plenty of glue...:lol:

It's kind of odd...in the scene where Obi-Wan is fighting Jango on Kamino, and Jango is trying not to fall off the side of the landing platform with Obi-Wan attached to his cable, Jango moves a certain way and his chest plate bends as if it was made of some kind of shiny faux-plastic material...almost pleather-like. I've never seen armor bend like that without breaking or creasing or messing up the paint job.

Yes, the 'hero' armour is certainly fibreglass with an aluminium bound gelcoat surface, but I haven't discovered what material the stunt armour is made from. It is highly unlikely that the stunt armour is fibreglass it is more likely to be made from rubber or plastic.

DAZ

The stunt armor looks like a rubber or even latex to me. Check him out when he is sitting in Slave1 whenn Obi-wan is following him.........

Yes, the 'hero' armour is certainly fibreglass with an aluminium bound gelcoat surface, but I haven't discovered what material the stunt armour is made from. It is highly unlikely that the stunt armour is fibreglass it is more likely to be made from rubber or plastic.

DAZ

Page 133 of Dressing a Galaxy states:

"The stunt version's pieces of armor were made in a felxible polyurethane called FlexiCast and then painted with a supple silver paint; the hero versions were produced in a polyester resin impregnated with aluminum powder."

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back