NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!!

Very helpful thread! I'll order a girth belt made of a synthetic fibre soon and will try to dye it with idye crimson which is specifically for sythetic materials. I've used it before to dye lenses for my Vader in the correct color and it worked like a charm.

Has anyone had any issues trooping with the minwax stain? I've been doing research on stains and the minwax is designed for indoor use. Trying to decide if I should go minwax (indoor) or behr (water and UV resistant). Thanks!

I ordered a girth belt on amazon and gave this a try today. My local Home Depot doesn’t carry Minwax anymore and said the Verathane wood stain is the closest thing. I printed the ESB girth belt pantone color from the CRL and brought it with me to match. Verathane has limited colors and I picked Truffle as the closest and had the paint guy add some extra tint to darken it a bit more. The staining was easy and I used less than 1/2 the can, wrung it out in the paint tray, then hung it up and dabbed it with a rag to remove more of the excess stain. I’ll let it hang dry for 24-48 hours and see how it looks. I saw one recommendation to stain it twice. Any other thoughts on whether or not that is necessary?

Overall, super easy to do and cost me less than $45 for the belt, stain and supplies. Thankful for this tutorial!

Attachments

• E4458049-2755-4B0E-B5E6-957639500295.jpeg
    E4458049-2755-4B0E-B5E6-957639500295.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 340
  • 837B0251-B64F-41DA-A359-C3DDA2C9CBC0.jpeg
    837B0251-B64F-41DA-A359-C3DDA2C9CBC0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 334
  • 2EC5D3AD-086A-4061-A1B6-17DDBFC7B78C.jpeg
    2EC5D3AD-086A-4061-A1B6-17DDBFC7B78C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 355
  • C76E5B34-C05A-4D3D-8D66-B9726DE95789.jpeg
    C76E5B34-C05A-4D3D-8D66-B9726DE95789.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 348
I ordered a girth belt on amazon and gave this a try today. My local Home Depot doesn’t carry Minwax anymore and said the Verathane wood stain is the closest thing. I printed the ESB girth belt pantone color from the CRL and brought it with me to match. Verathane has limited colors and I picked Truffle as the closest and had the paint guy add some extra tint to darken it a bit more. The staining was easy and I used less than 1/2 the can, wrung it out in the paint tray, then hung it up and dabbed it with a rag to remove more of the excess stain. I’ll let it hang dry for 24-48 hours and see how it looks. I saw one recommendation to stain it twice. Any other thoughts on whether or not that is necessary?

Overall, super easy to do and cost me less than $45 for the belt, stain and supplies. Thankful for this tutorial!

i just did mine a few weeks ago and I stained it twice. After first round i rinsed it until water ran clear. Dyed it again l, let sit another 24 hours and again rinsed until water ran clear and then let dry.
Came out perfect.

Tried this technique with miniwax spice, diluted with water but it came out too light imo. Did two soaks, looks almost pinkish in person.

I'm going to try again without diluting the stain to see if I can get a stronger red.
1000009832.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with the synthetic fiber girths is its not easy to get a good rich color using those stains. You might try starting with a stain that's a more saturated red then darkening with misting with either a blackish stain or paint. When I used this method I used minwax crimson. It was fine, but it wasn't great. A real mohair belt will be easier to color, will be far more pliable and soft, and will have the correct size cord, but obviously mohair is a more difficult/pricey option.

Here's a little addendum. I now used a white cord strap as raw material and colored it with the dye mentioned. However, not in red but in crimson. The strap is made of polyester. I colored the strap twice and the result is impressive. I will post a picture soon. iDye Textilfarbe, Poly Beutel 14 g, für synthetische Stoffe, Crimson kaufen | Modulor

This thread is more than 2 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back