New to TDH? Read this about how much you will spend!

To add to the mystique of building a Boba costume compared to a normal set of Imperial armor, talk to any TK/TS/TB or the like, and they’ll say “my armor is from ___ and my boots are from ___ “. Compared to......

There’s currently parts from 28 different costume vendors on my Boba. :lol:

(Not counting all the little assembly odds and ends pieces and the massive variety of paint colors purchased to complete it.)

Shipping and import taxes often gets overlooked when setting up a budget. I live in a small town in Norway, and I've had to order most parts and even most tools and supplies abroad. To date I've payed somewhere around 1040 USD just in import taxes and customs fees.

Ok since about once a week a new member comes in and expects to buy all the parts to a Boba/Jango costume for $100 I thought it would be a good idea to make this thread. I am not trying to discourage new builders but rather inform them so they know what they are getting into and they can get past the "sticker shock" when they ask for parts. Of course you can always find the "great deal" that comes up and get parts for cheaper, and you can always scratch build parts. This is more a list of what to expect to spend if you were to buy parts.

I will not list builders names, and please no one else do that either just to protect the innocent (and the guilty);) And just FYI I don't make any of these peices so don't PM me asking for the $100 set of armor.

So here we go. Head to toe. These are for Boba, jango prices will vary slightly

1.Helmet, anwhere from $100-$300 unpainted in kit form. Paintjobs vary from $200 up. Painted helmets start ususaly around $600
2. Neck seal $30-$60
3. Vest $50-$100
4. Armor $ $100-$300+ unpainted. Paintjobs vary from $100 and up
5. Jumpsuit $100-$250
6. Girthbelts $40-$60 undyed $60-90 dyed
7. Ammo belts $80-$175
8. Belt pouches $20-$40
9. Jet Pack $300-$550 unpainted kit $600-$1000 painted paintjobs $200 up
10. Jet Pack harness, this one not many people make so I don't know
11. Knee armor $50-$100 sometimes included with other armor
12. Shin tools $50-$150 unpainted or painted
13. Boot spats $10-$30
14. Boots $90-$300 the cheap ones are the defect ones from CAboots the expensive are the aftermarket resale on MC or JW boots since neither are still available.
15a. Blaster ROTJ/ESB $75-$1000 the ones for a grand are based on real deactivated webleys
15b. Pre-pro sling gun $75-$150
16. Gloves $50-$150
17. ESB sidearm $90-$140
18. Cape $15-$45
19. Chest display $70-$100
20. Gauntlets(both) $130-$350
21. Toe Spikes $50-$70
22. Wookie Braids $10-$50
23. T-visor $7-$15

Add another $100-$300 on there for accurate paints, glue, snaps random other odds and ends if you are going to do it your self. This is also a good time to point out that that is part of the reason a paint job can cost so much, the paints that were used on the costume aren't cheap.

Again this is just a partial list of what I have seen parts sell for. If I am forgetting anything please feel free to add to it. Good luck and happy building.

Also there are other parts you can add to your costume that you don't have to have such as a voice changer, RC RF controller, metal RF stalk...etc.
100 is just what you tell your wife you spent on a complete setup.

I can attest to this. I started researching last March, began purchasing parts in August and thought I could get away with spending under $2k. I finally have all of the parts needed to finish my first build and I'm in at more than double that amount.

I don’t even wanna tell y’all what I spent on my Mandalorian build...let’s just say it’s exactly what I wanted in terms of screen accuracy, but way over budget lol. Took a while for the wife to come around

Vader and Fett are the most expensive SW costumes to build. I have a completed ROTJ Vader and a WIP ANH Vader. I did look into a Fett a few times and even started buying parts a few years ago. I still have the vest and neck seal from that. Eventually I would like to revisit that after ANH Vader is done. Vader is my main man and literally every other costume I assembled took a back seat to him in some capacity mostly due to costs. No SW is cheap when accurately done. I dream of a Fett one day when I can fully commit to one.

Here is my ROTJ Vader build

Trooping helmet: $950
Display Helmet: $1,500
Trooping armor: $550
Chest box: $260
Belt boxes: $200
Belt: $20
Buckle: $50
Shins: $100
Boots: $100
Suit: $500
Gloves: $175
Cape and robe: $600
Cod: $175

ANH build

Helmet: $1,530
Armor: $900
Chest box: $200
chest box straps: $30
Cape and robe(on order): $675
Completed belt rig(on order): $450

Long ways to go on the ANH build! When it comes to these more expensive builds its best to focus on your character of choice instead of multiple unless you have extremely deep pockets. I really wanted to tackle Fett but I also REALLY REALLY wanted ANH Vader even though I have ROTJ Vader.

Last edited:
Ah, they just don't make 'em like they used to.....they now make 'em more movie accurate!!! (and you get what you pay for, that's why all us old timers have upgraded many of our original parts over the years. TDH became a phenomial research database). To bring back some nostalgia from the "old times", check out my original Boba parts back from the late '90s before TDH even existed...

Helmet: Free, given to me by a friend. 95 DP

Armor kit: $315 shipped. This included:
Collar
Chest (4 pieces) + Sticker
Backplate
Shoulder Bells + Sticker
Gauntlets
Cod
Knees + Resin darts
Shin tools
Jet Pack

That's right, every single "hard armor part" including jet pack for $315 shipped. You can't even buy just the jet pack for that price now-a-days. That stuff was really good quality for it's time, but now with the massive research done by TDHers, there's more movie accurate parts available.

OK, part two: the "Bounty Hunter Ensemble" from a now defunct costume company. Again, it was around $315 shipped for this set:
Jumpsuit
Vest
Ankle Spats
Gloves
Wookie Scalps
Cape
Tan "Saddle bags"

So, those 2 makers made almost every part of my original suit except for shoes, blaster ( $95 resin kit off ebay in 1999 ) girth belt and ammo belt.

I made my own original ammo belt and shoes and upgraded both within the next couple years. Now you can see I made my Boba purchases for everything under $800. But wait! That doesn't include a few hundred dollars more for all the different paints, glues, elastic, industrial velcro, screws/nuts + bolts, aluminum tubing, braided hose, welding visor, and all sorts of other nick nacks to just complete the parts kit you have sitting in front of you. By the time I was "finished" the first time to wear it out, I'm sure it was more like $1,200 or so. By now, I've spent another $600 probably on upgrades, and I'm sure that's normal or even a little low by todays prices to build your own Boba Fett costume.

But on the other hand, you can create your own parts by hand if you're talented in such things and make a good looking Boba costume. I know one local TDHer who built all his "hard parts" by hand out of sintra (yes, including gauntlets and they look darn good) and I believe he said he spent $35 for all the "hard parts" except for the jet pack. You can do it, just depends on how much labor you wish to do and/or what your budget really is.
I’d love to see a pic of this fett

Very interesting thread. I am doing a post-sarlacc Fett. I made some of the items myself, but I acquired a pair of boots here, Ninja Hakama pants there...the hard parts are all 3D printed. Problem: I got a 3D printer for that (and to have an easier start, it had to be a Prusa). Yikes. Some leather (I am good with leather), waxed thread, Chicago screws to hold on the plates to the flak vest, eyelets...oh, and the vest I had to buy (from time to time, I like to buy ready-made, if it is good quality).
A spray rattlecan here and there, sanding paper for my sanding mouse (incl. a sanding mouse)...I honestly have no idea how much I sank into that project. And it is not done yet. Might be several hundred...or so (or rather...add a zero at the end?).

But it is worth it to me. Feels good wearing all of that stuff, and most of it I made myself.

It's funny, I've been here since 2019 and never noticed this thread. However, I never went in with the mindset of trying to get everything for $100 either. Hahaha! If someone truly wants to try and get everything on the cheap end ($100 or so). Then they honestly should be going for this....
1655516531217.png

I mean Google users gave it 4.6 stars!
1655516865799.png

For $120, you get the costume and blaster!
1655516699610.png

Don't get me wrong, those costumes have their place and that's fine - and maybe its good enough for some. But if your objective is to replicate this....
Boba Fett - ROTJ Screen Pic.jpg

Then you should know you'll spend not only quite a bit of money, but also time in getting it all together! I'm $5300 in mine and spent about 3 years and I still have plenty of room to upgrade on it!

-Iron

About two years ago I decided to make a life size Fett display and bought the Rubies deluxe Fett costume on eBay for $350. That was a steal compared to what it retailed for. I bought a really crappy mannequin and displayed on the mannequin. I was quickly underwhelmed and hugely disappointed. Then I discovered this site and then I discovered all the distributors here and on Etsy. I was literally beginning my first legit build one day after setting up that Rubies mess. If you're not aware, I'm the insane person who has built six (so far) life size Fett's for my basement as well as 3D printed the life size Kenner action figure. I'm currently working on a PP2 (dear lord, don't tell my wife) as well as a couple of Boba Fresh commissions. The commission work is how I slide in the occasional delivery for my PP2 with none the wiser. She'll roll her eyes when she sees it displayed and completed, but hasn't killed me over six, so seven shouldn't matter too much...right?

I have a spreadsheet that I track every purchase, including shipping and I've got an average of $3000-3500 in each build, including the fairly high-end mannequins. That's doing all of the prep and painting of the hard goods myself. I don't sew or do leather, so I've got to pay full fare there.

ps. My spreadsheet is super password protected! :)

pss. If you haven't seen my six Fetts, check them out here

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back