Need opinions on repairing SuperTrooper Cape

TrevOwnz

New Hunter
Hey ladies and gents. I just won a 1977 Star Wars Beach Towel (SuperTrooper Cape) and I would like some opinions on repairing it before I do so. I have been hunting this thing down for a year and a half and damaged or not this thing was going to be mine.

So I have a couple options
- Do nothing and rock the damaged vintage look
- Trim the whole thing half an inch or so to make it even
- Trim the damaged area off but not even to save more spacing from the end to the art
- Clean up only the damaged part and let it be uneven

I'm thinking of trimming the whole thing even which will bring the art closer to the edge but still give me some room and a clean look. I think only I would know it's not the full width.

I do graphic design and was thinking of redoing the art and making capes with the art, not towels if people would be interested. That way it's light, capeish, and keeps that classic style with the art. Imagine the white cape most people use currently but with this art on top.

So. What do you guys think in regards to trimming?

SuperTrooperCapeTrim_zps08a4fd28.png

Saw it, I thought it would sell for much much more then what you paid! It was so hard not to bid on it, I really wanted to, but I have one and I knew whoever got it would appreciate having a rare Boba Fett related item. Great buy Brother! Welcome to the Fett towel club! ( is that a real club? No! Lol

Sent from my iPhone

BTW - don't do nothing to it at all, ever! Display it and if you use it on a supertrooper suit, leave it just the way it is

Sent from my iPhone

I would leave it as is myself the edges of towels are bound in a specific weave and if you cut that edge off the entire length is going to fray apart like the fringed ends.

I had a feeling most people would suggest not touching it. To add I did plan on taking it to a tailor to match the edge stitching so it wouldn't come undone. I do see your points. It is a classic piece now and altering it, is taking it's vintage wear away.

Is it possible that it can be scanned and reprinted to make a replica? I know a few people wanting to do this costume and need the towel.

I would leave it alone, other than a repair job to keep it from getting worse.

I can scan remake the artwork and get it screen printed if I have enough people willing to buy. It will take more than just a couple people for it to be cost efficient. It's a 5 color screen print which isn't cheap. Once the towel comes in the mail I will start remaking the art.

If I made a replica run on these would you guys prefer towels or boba capes made? The capes are lighter and not fuzzy so it would look better and be easier to wear.

Well isn't that interesting...I'm sure if you could do a run people would jump on it...depending on what the price was...

Sent from my SCH-I545

Nice buy ya got there!! I'd potentially be interested a replica, cape or towel doesnt necessarily matter to me as it'd be a display Fett. Hope your build goes well with this new treasure!

Well I'm all sorts of confused. I got mine in the mail and if I put the corner on my shoulder it drags. I'm 5'10 so I'm not that short. I was comparing the printing to a few others and mine is different. I have a blue and red Jawa where the others have a dark red and red Jawa. The thing is the two links below are different from each other in different ways. The edges, the copy right in the bottom right and etc. Do you guys think I have a replica. I wouldn't be mad but I'm not sure which is right because the promo photos were bad quality and black and white. Man I thought I scored an original. Now my excitement is deflated.

Dscn0157stcape.jpg

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/supertrooper-cape-towel-49221/

1001361-boba-fett-prototype-armor-002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's real mine is the same, it's a large beach towel. I believe they mounted it above the Death Star, up where the single star is. If you attach it there it would look correct.

Sent from my iPhone

Well the mounting makes sense but I wonder why there is two types of the towel and screen printing. I would love to see yours.

I wonder why there is two types of the towel and screen printing. I would love to see yours.

Wait what? TrevOwnz you have a real and only supertrooper beach towel! I have seen only two ever for sale on eBay in the last five years. Search my name, supertrooper cape or towel and you'll find my found thread. Only part missing from your towel is the tag and thats right were the damage is in the lower left corner.

Sent from my iPhone

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back