NECKSEAL 101 **PIC INTENSIVE**

LadySewforus

Active Hunter
Hello All,
I have been wanting to do this for quite a while, but just did not have the time. Here is a tutorial for the Boba Neckseal. This is one interpretation. I also like Mrs. TK409's version (which is AWESOME) and I am not sure which is considered more screen accurate. Again, it is interpretation, and really subjective. I have looked at the High Def screen caps and here is one version....

First, you will need a piece of tackle twill, or whatever you would like to make this with. And you will need a different material, a lightweight cotton for the lining and a dickie portion. So, we will have the "neckseal" the "lining" and the "dickie". You will also need some padding.

The neckseal and the lining are both cut the same way. Take your neck measurement and add 3 inches. This will be the length of the rectangular piece of material you will be cutting. The width will be 7". So here is a pic of what you will have.....
LSFnecksealtutorial004.jpg

So you will need to cut one piece of the neckseal material and one piece of the lining material, with the same dimensions.

Next, put "right sides together" this means take the part that you want to be seen for the neckseal and the part that you want to be seen for the lining and put these two pieces together, facing each other.

Then, you will sew 3 of the edges with a 5/8" in seam allowance. This simply means to sew your line 5/8" in from the edge of the fabric. This is a standard sewing method.

*Sewing tip, you have an alternative of cutting only a 1/4" seam allowance. This will help you to avoid the trimming, but the sewing is more difficult. It is easier to sew with a 5/8 inch seal allowance, and trim later.

So, you will sew the two short edges and one long edge. And you will have this....
LSFnecksealtutorial004.jpg

Next, the trimming. First cut the two corners at a diagonal, about 1/4 to 3/8 " away from the stitches. If you cut too close to the stitches, you will risk the strength of the seam, so don't cut too close. Here are two pics...
LSFnecksealtutorial009.jpg

LSFnecksealtutorial010-1.jpg

Next, you will trim all three edges at about 1/4 to 3/8"....
LSFnecksealtutorial014.jpg

Now you are ready to turn so the "right sides" will be facing outward...
LSFnecksealtutorial016.jpg

You can take an object with a point and press into the corners to make them sharp. Don't use something too sharp and be careful or you will poke through the seams or material. A No No

Take this to your ironing board, or some similar facsimile of, make sure the
iron is not too hot. I like to use a spritz of water and/or steam, and press the edges.....
LSFnecksealtutorial017.jpg

Next you will make lines with a very fine pencil. This will wash out later.
Start at the top edge and make your lines for the ribs, 1 1/8" for each ribs, and make 5 ribs...
LSFnecksealtutorial020.jpg

Then you will need to cut the batting in strips that are about 1/2" to 3/4" w wide. 2 pics........
LSFnecksealtutorial021.jpg

LSFnecksealtutorial023.jpg

Next make the strip the same length as the neckseal and put the strip in between the neckseal and the lining........
LSFnecksealtutorial024.jpg

Now you will stitch the neckseal and lining along your first line.....
LSFnecksealtutorial025.jpg

wash, rinse, and repeat, until you have 5 ribs.... 2 pics....
(y) you can do it!!!
LSFnecksealtutorial027.jpg

LSFnecksealtutorial028.jpg

When you have all 5 ribs, take a look...... you are almost done!
You will need to cut the dickie from the lining fabric...
LSFnecksealtutorial029.jpg

Then take the dickie to the ironing board, or similar facsimile thereof. You will now need to put the "right side" down. You may not have a "right side" and you may not really care, no one will see this part of the neckseal.

Press up 1/4 to 3/8" on three edges, the two sides and the longest edge...
If it is easier you can press all edges, it wont matter too much, but the top edge will be finished when you sew the neckseal to the dickie, so it is not necessary.

Next you can set your machine to a zig zag stitch, with about 10 stitches per inch and the widest setting. Just practice on some scraps until it lays ok, this is not crucial either, no one will see this and zig zag this edge down...
LSFnecksealtutorial033.jpg

Now take the "right side" of the neckseal and the "right side" of the dickie and line up the edge you are going to sew together...
LSFnecksealtutorial035.jpg

Then sew these two edges together...
LSFnecksealtutorial036.jpg

And Viola.... neckseal..... I will leave it up to you to close as you would like.
LSFnecksealtutorial001.jpg

LSFnecksealtutorial030.jpg

You can take a toothbrush and some bar soap, or Shout, or something and a little water and wash off the pencils line, and there you go........

CONGRATS!! YOU DID IT!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!!

I was going to ask my wife to make the neckseal but now I know I can do it myself.
Members like you make this forum great!

I love the way it looks all puffy with the RIGHT wrinkly look, like the screen used one.

i've seen to many neckseal that look too straight and flat.:facepalm

THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually just buy it. I think it's 1/4 to 1/2"

I hope that did not sound kurt! LOL, Now that I am reading it is sounds a little funny.
Just take a look at what is available at the fabric store and try it out.

I would probably be a good idea to make one that you will not have a problem throwing out. Just to save some heartache and frustration, make one that you designate for a trial run.

I hope that did not sound kurt! LOL, Now that I am reading it is sounds a little funny.
Just take a look at what is available at the fabric store and try it out.

I would probably be a good idea to make one that you will not have a problem throwing out. Just to save some heartache and frustration, make one that you designate for a trial run.

:lol: No, it didn't sound kurt. The only batting our Wal*Mart (the only fabric supplier even close to here) carries is in bulk bags, it looks like I'll be making a few. Since my girlfriend and I supply costumes for local plays from time to time, anything I make that turns out alright and I don't plan on using, I'll just throw it in the recycle bin and break it out when I need it.

That's a great tutorial! Thanks Debbie, for posting it up...it's too bad tackle twill doesn't seem to exist in my neck of the woods.

Debbie, would you happen to have time to do one neckseal order for me? Please do LMK and thanks!

Stay safe,

Tim.

That's a great tutorial! Thanks Debbie, for posting it up...it's too bad tackle twill doesn't seem to exist in my neck of the woods.

Debbie, would you happen to have time to do one neckseal order for me? Please do LMK and thanks!

Stay safe,

Tim.

will send a PM later today or tomorrow...
busy at work right now.....

:cheers

Great tutorial! This is pretty much the way I did mine. I would love to get some tackle twill and do one though. I vote sticky this thread.(y)

just a little not you dont reeeally need to cut thebatting into strips as your stitching pulls it really tight so both pieces of fabric almost touch.

nice job though

just a little not you dont reeeally need to cut thebatting into strips as your stitching pulls it really tight so both pieces of fabric almost touch.

nice job though

I have done this both ways, and I just prefer putting the batting in strips. I like the look I end up with better, but here is more than one way to skin a cat. :D
Thanks for the tip~

lol no prob just make sure its comfy and isnt too choking.

remember when you can sleep in your armor you get to go for the new armor record.....we dont have a "longest time in fett armor" do we..

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back