My scratch build and thanks...

ToEleven

Active Hunter
Its taken me about 5 months to get to this point and there are still some details I need to deal with but here is the nearly complete bucket.

BF_complete1.JPGBF_complete2.JPGBF_complete3.JPG

Special thanks to Wizardofflight, Rafalfett, Teminal fettler, Antman, Superjedi and others who blazed the trail here. I had no idea what I was getting into, but it's been a fun project. My wife hasn't kicked me out yet, but she was close (kidding but seriously). Everyone who sees this thing is in awe, and I really owe everyone here my gratitude.

I managed to build everything from scratch using frame matting board, bondo, fiberglass, CNCed mdf and plastic for the ears & rf stalk, plexiglass and sintra for the rangefinder (which isn't really done yet). I used my dremel to cut a T-visor from a face shield thing from Lowes with some cheap window tint (which was a bit of a pain and needs some rework)

I wish I would have photographed my process more but here are a few post build pics I do have.

BF_scratch1.jpgBF_scratch2.jpgBF_scratch (1).jpgBF_scratch (5).jpgBF_scratch (2).jpgBF_scratch (6).jpgBF_scratch (4).jpg

I used terminal fettler's esb paint up guide with airbrush Humbrol paints & maskol, etc.

Some pics from my painting process. Also thanks to Lewis-White FX channel. He really lays out the painting process in a concise way.

BF_paintup (3).jpgBF_paintup (4).jpgBF_paintup (5).jpgBF_paintup (10).jpgBF_paintup (8).jpgBF_paintup (11).jpgBF_paintup (12).jpgBF_paintup (13).jpgBF_paintup (16).jpgBF_paintup (1).jpg

BF_paintup (6).jpg

BF_paintup (15).jpg

An amazing scratch build. I find projects like this inspiring where there is an incredible amount of hard work and skill involved. Keep up the good work

Yep WoF templates.

I wish I would have used Rafalfett's templates though. My reason being that as I researched the original prop photos and the pro casting photos like FettPride I began to see problems with the visor cutout, mandibles and dome shape of the WoF templates. I ended up going back several times and re-applying bondo to get my some of my lines looking better. If you look through his template post he has gone through great lengths to get the all of his measurements correct...even down to the asymmetrical imperfections in the original prop.

I would recommend going with Rafalfett at this point. My sons are dying for their own Fett helmets so I'll use some scaled down rafalfett for those.

ToEleven:

Excellent work. I have used picture matting board on projects too. My previous helmet was based on the WOF templates and I discovered the same issues you did. My current helmet is based on Rafal Fett's work and his template are much more accurate.

Really nice! Do you have any more details on how you built your ears? I'm getting close to finishing the bondo stage on my bucket and need ro start my ears.

Really nice! Do you have any more details on how you built your ears? I'm getting close to finishing the bondo stage on my bucket and need ro start my ears.

My father has a cnc router he uses for wood carving, so I imported the WoF pdf template into the software for the machine (basically a 3d design program) and carved them out of MDF (medium density fiberboard).

The bottom angle part is a piece of a maple strip cut at an angle on a table saw. I did this to get a sharper look than the cnc carving could produce.

I WAS going to use antman's method from the scratch build sticky threads in the helmet forum. He used a layered up cardboard method. I would recommend going with his method, since most people don't have cnc machines to play around with.:unsure Plus his finished product looks pretty legit.

ToEleven:

Excellent work. I have used picture matting board on projects too. My previous helmet was based on the WOF templates and I discovered the same issues you did. My current helmet is based on Rafal Fett's work and his template are much more accurate.

Thanks, I just started a 92% scale rafalfett which I'm going to attempt to cast for my sons (hopefully in time for Halloween). They're so into my helmet...maybe this will appease their little Fett appetites.:lol:

This is where I am with my son's bucket...92% scale. It will be a little big but should last him a while.

I'm working with expanded pvc (sintra etc). It's really nice with super glue and a heat gun. The dome is driving me crazy though. :cry I got it almost all in and realized I had uneven heights in my sections. It always happens when I get in a hurry. :facepalm

0704151340 (Custom).jpg0707152043 (Custom).jpg

Tell me about it my youngest is the same age and has been 'helping' at different stages which has made things a bit more interesting than they need to be lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back