My humble ESB Fett build (so far)

I bought a pair of Evolution Props Boba boots a few months ago. I wasn't fully aware of his... reputation. I received the boots last week. I'm not disappointed. Could be better, but not bad for my budget build. Plus it was fun following Spidey's weathering tutorial. I think they turned out decently.

IMG_20210223_231834_056.jpg

- Josh

Last edited:
I had a little paint run on the right plate, but I think I can clean it up with some dry brushing. Still have to paint the diamond. And I'm not sure if I'm going to use the decal from Bobamaker or paint on the signet. Still lots to do on the armor but I like how it's shaping up.

IMG_20210307_180557_749.jpg

- Josh

Last edited:
Turns out I wasn't very happy with the variations in color between all the pieces. Silly me forgot to mix up one single batch of paint enough for it all.

I went with Vallejo Model Air Gunship Green. It turned out pretty dang good, I'd say.

IMG_20210322_170740_067.jpgIMG_20210322_170740_123.jpgIMG_20210322_170740_128.jpg

I want to work on the yellow trim a little more before sealing it with some dullcoat lacquer. Overall I'm much happier now.

- Josh

Last edited:
After more repaints and reworks than I care to admit, I'm finally happy with my armor (except for my two fairly obvious boo-boos). Now that isn't to say I'm not planning to refine it some. Haha

20210420_152103.jpg20210425_222411.jpg20210425_222540.jpg20210425_222611.jpg20210425_223235.jpg

- Josh

Last edited:
It's been... a while. I've made very slow progress. I managed to temporarily attach the hinges to my Man of War gauntlets. Unfortunately I neglected to keep them temperature controlled and suffered some minor warping. Even more tragically a piece snapped off the left gauntlet. I've since repaired it, for the most part, using Milliput epoxy. I finally acquired some fiberglass resin and accompanying cloth. I might use it to help the repaired break in addition to securing the hinges. I also worked on my Man of War budget cape. It still need some weathering. Just last night I completely the basic assembly of the flamethrower. I'll attach the mounting plate and wire piece after painting. Which I hope to do soon! Also a pair of MOW gloves.

Anyway I don't have much to show, but...

20211109_223824.jpg20211109_230840.jpg20211115_212550.jpgIMG_20220122_010054_401.jpgIMG_20220122_010054_477.jpg20211027_225311.jpg

- Josh

Last edited:
I've made so much progress on my jetpack the last few days. Still have to fill in and sand down the main body. But I've attached the lower rocket using the washers and bolt technique. I used superglue and baking soda for the initial installation. I'll add JW Weld in the next few days. Thanks to Fettastic for his tutorial!

Since my MOW kit was a "damaged" kit I've had to figure out a way around the extra lip where the piano keys sit. It's been a combination of sanding it down and sanding down the piano key pieces. Then I filled in the gaps with Miliput, and began sanding. Still lots to do.

20220220_122045.jpg20220223_011506.jpg20220222_115727.jpg20220222_133508.jpg20220222_204844.jpg20220222_174615.jpg20220222_204905.jpg20220222_204905.jpg20220222_210512.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
MrFusion1138
And just my two cents, and maybe its just me, but I've found Humbrol paints to be incredibly thick. I've used a couple for my Jetpack and a couple for my helmet and both instances even after thinned out and what looked like to be the correct consistency - it was not fun shooting it outta my airbrush. Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased with the results and how it all looked. but I'm going to be re-doing my helmet after a mistake I made, and currently.......I'm on the fence about using Humbrol on it again. I'm primarily used Vallejo and with the Airbrush Flow Improver on my ROTJ Boba Project......and its worked great!

One note, if you are to use the Vallejo "Air" line of paints, just know to seal your work before you tape it up. Otherwise the paint WILL come right off with the tape. But I've always sealed my work no matter the paint. ;) And that is where I shot myself in the foot too. I sprayed my clear sealant too close to my helmet and got that "Vein" effect on it. o_O

-Iron
With Humbrol paints, I have found that you need to be very precise with your measurements to get the ratio right. Generally I stick to 2:1 paint to thinner and I use disposable syringes to get the measurements as exact as possible. Previously I used pipettes but I found it's way too hard to be precise with those.

Humbrol paint + humbrol enamel thinners at that ratio, mixed thoroughly have yielded pretty good results for me.

I'm making decent progress on my gauntlets and jetpack. I realized the MOW gauntlets are way too big on my skinny arms. I've been sanding them down over the last few days. I also decided to ditch the hinge and clip system in favor of magnets. I'm holding off on deciding the best fit and attaching the magnets until my brother can finish my flightsuit, which he has made great progress in making.

I'm using a coax cable to attach the braided hose to the right gauntlet. I glued a coax coupler into the block and I'll be extending it over some vinyl tubing I used to cover the connection. Once all is said and done I'll cover the rest of the visible connector with electrical tape. The darts are installed temporarily.

I've filled in most of the air bubbles and warps in the jetpack. A little more filling and I'll start sanding. I attached the top rocket to the bottom using rare earth magnets. It works pretty well, too. I have a beacon and stabilizer on the way from MachineCraft .

20220307_154006.jpg20220308_134305.jpg20220308_134327.jpg20220307_170426.jpg

Still a ton of work to do, but I'm feeling accomplished and slightly more sure of my abilities lol

- Josh

Last edited:
I realized the MOW gauntlets are way too big on my skinny arms.
MrFusion1138
Hahaha! I think I have yet to come across any vendors that has gauntlets that are not on the small side. I have a set of Boba Maker Gauntlets which are also on the large side. Seems like we both could do some Grip Strength training exercises and maybe eat some spinach - Hahaha!
1646766531051.png

In all seriousness though, I ended up using foam to pad out the insides of the gauntlets and relied on the baggyness of the flightsuits sleeves to cover the openings.

That Jetpack though, wow! Yer putting in some effort there to get that fixed up. I almost bought one of MoW's "Damaged Jetpacks" too. And was told that it wouldn't take much to get it back in shape. In the early stages of my Fett build, I ultimately ended up going with a 3D printed pack (from Coz3D), till I could spend some bigger bucks for the Boba Maker upgrade. But there is also....if you don't mind that kind of thing - fixing/repairing stuff like that, then I guess it would be perfect for those DIY'ers. And you sir are doing a great job on yours! Keep it up, can't wait to see it finished!

Also that Coax Connector idea is interesting and an innovating way to keep it all together too.

Best,
-Iron

MrFusion1138
Hahaha! I think I have yet to come across any vendors that has gauntlets that are not on the small side. I have a set of Boba Maker Gauntlets which are also on the large side. Seems like we both could do some Grip Strength training exercises and maybe eat some spinach - Hahaha!
View attachment 221178

In all seriousness though, I ended up using foam to pad out the insides of the gauntlets and relied on the baggyness of the flightsuits sleeves to cover the openings.

That Jetpack though, wow! Yer putting in some effort there to get that fixed up. I almost bought one of MoW's "Damaged Jetpacks" too. And was told that it wouldn't take much to get it back in shape. In the early stages of my Fett build, I ultimately ended up going with a 3D printed pack (from Coz3D), till I could spend some bigger bucks for the Boba Maker upgrade. But there is also....if you don't mind that kind of thing - fixing/repairing stuff like that, then I guess it would be perfect for those DIY'ers. And you sir are doing a great job on yours! Keep it up, can't wait to see it finished!

Also that Coax Connector idea is interesting and an innovating way to keep it all together too.

Best,
-Iron
Thanks!! It really has been an experience lol. I just added some more Milliput to the jetpack and the gauntlet block.

I think foam padding is probably the route I'll go as well. If nothing else it means no more sanding and dremeling.

This is the most I've gotten done in a short time since last spring I believe. It feels good. I really hope it's done soon.

Josh

Fewer hours at work does allow more Fett hours at home. Sorry, clunky attempted pun. Seriously though, I've manged to get so much done in a week's time.

I finished installing the coax coupler and accompanying cable with moderate success. I'm probably going to do more sanding/refining.

I attached small rectangular magnets to the gauntlets. They were smaller than I expected, so I doubled up each set. It actually worked really well. I used superglue and baking soda for attaching each pair. I'm going to reinforce each connection with some epoxy. But the superglue and powder have already provided a strong bond. Everything else is attached temporarily using wall tack. Lol

The "repair work" on my jetpack is inching along. The update that has me most excited is the beacon and stabilizer from MachineCraft . Superb quality! I still need the hardware to install the stabilizer, but I drilled the hole for the beacon immediately! Haha. After checking several reference photos I estimated where to drill. I got lucky and BARELY missed the inner wall of the jetpack's rear. Lucky. I also painted up the exhaust grill and thruster greeblies. The greeblies look okay, but the grill is pretty on-point, imo.

20220313_043104.jpg20220313_043526.jpg20220313_044000.jpg20220313_043747.jpg

- Josh

Last edited:
Well, my gauntlets are approx 85% complete. I want to put a tad of foam rubber padding in, fix elastic straps inside each gauntlet (one end of each strap with have a snap), and I need to do some refining with the paint. The whipcord needs quite a bit of work. It's far from perfect. I know it won't meet 501st approval (one day, Joshua, one day). But I couldn't be happier with the progress I've made.

My MOW ESB Boba gauntlets:

After forgetting to do so last night, I painted the push button tips black. I also repainted the rocket cone a dark copper instead of gold. I much prefer it this way.

20220404_144510.jpg20220404_144546.jpg20220404_144620.jpg20220404_144645.jpg20220404_144427.jpg

-Josh

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back