My $10 Boba Fett Rangefinder LED Electronics

azheat01

Active Hunter
So it appears rangefinder electronics are harder to find than a white peacock riding a unicorn. No clue what the deal is with Hyperdyne Labs, why they would have a functioning Buy-It-Now button on their website but the complete inability to respond to a single email in a three month period is beyond me. Got some other leads as well but nothing was available at the moment.

I'm building my second Boba Fett, trying to make this one better than the first (which was the first life-sized figure I ever made, 13 years ago on this forum). Since I don't want to wait on someone else and don't want to spend $60 - $100, I took matters into my own hands. Yeah, it won't be screen accurate, but I'm fine with that.

I picked up a dual LR44 battery holder for $5.00 on eBay, a $0.70 SW-520D tilt switch, and some left over LEDs I had. It doesn't look pretty, but works like a charm............

IMG_3559.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

I attached one end of the tilt switch to the battery holder, wired the steady red, flashing red, and steady white LEDs together (with the positive sides attached to the other end of the tilt switch and the negative sides attached to the other side of the battery holder). Did a test fit and tried it out.........

IMG_3572.JPG

Nothing is final here (the LEDs are not in place yet nor is the lens). This was just a proof of concept to see if it would work, and it did. I'm very pleased with it and can start prepping the helmet for paint and assembly.

Just an FYI, I make a self contained kit that fits MR based RF toppers for less than the 60-100 price point you mention. Also, if you are looking for your kit to fit 501st level two criteria, the LEDs need to be red (not just flash red) and flash in an alternating pattern.

Just an FYI, I make a self contained kit that fits MR based RF toppers for less than the 60-100 price point you mention. Also, if you are looking for your kit to fit 501st level two criteria, the LEDs need to be red (not just flash red) and flash in an alternating pattern.

Thanks, can you PM me the details? I don't do the 501st thing, so exact accuracy is of no concern, but depending on price I may be interested in a more professionally crafted unit.

Thanks, can you PM me the details? I don't do the 501st thing, so exact accuracy is of no concern, but depending on price I may be interested in a more professionally crafted unit.
I am building some right now, they should be done in the next couple days. Once they are done, I will make a new post in my preferred vendors thread with info on them. I need to get some better quality pics of my stuff, that is why my items in the preferred vendors area do not have any pictures.

I am building some right now, they should be done in the next couple days. Once they are done, I will make a new post in my preferred vendors thread with info on them. I need to get some better quality pics of my stuff, that is why my items in the preferred vendors area do not have any pictures.

I think I did see your kit, but isn't that one controlled by a 9V source that's not contained within the rangefinder itself? I didn't want to run wires down a stock or mess with contacts, that's why I went this route. I just wanted something completely contained in the rangefinder top. If you have one in the works like that, please do let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
I think I did see your kit, but isn't that one controlled by a 9V source that's not contained within the rangefinder itself? I didn't want to run wires down a stock or mess with contacts, that's why I went this route. I just wanted something completely contained in the rangefinder top. If you have one in the works like that, please do let me know. Thanks!
Hit up Uhbif, he's got what you need.

I make a self contained kit that does not need wires or the Honeywell micro switch. The entire kit fits inside the RF topper.

Here is an older video that shows the self contained kit working. I changed a few of the parts to increase the flashing speed of the red LEDs to resemble the efx PCR that is supposed to have the same flashing rate as the ESB hero helmet.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a hollowed out Rangefinder to through some electronics in? it seem that everything I am finding on ebay and etsy are all solid pieces. Any information would be a big help.

Here is an older video that shows the self contained kit working. I changed a few of the parts to increase the flashing speed of the red LEDs to resemble the efx PCR that is supposed to have the same flashing rate as the ESB hero helmet.

Looks great, I'll shoot you a PM.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a hollowed out Rangefinder to through some electronics in? it seem that everything I am finding on ebay and etsy are all solid pieces. Any information would be a big help.

Get in touch with Grimstuff on Etsy........

Hey cool, I got a shoutout, thanks! and glad you're enjoying the kit!

For the stalk I don't currently offer hollow as it's a bit difficult to do with the cast resin moldings I use. Two great options though are either MachineCraft's aluminum stalks (amazing quality, but expensive), or Rafalfett's design 3D printed by shapeways (inexpensive, but 3d prints can be fragile). You can find them both here:

For the upper casing though I can definitely offer that, I replied to your PM on etsy in case you read here first.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back