Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint...

Reverend Scapegoat

Active Hunter
Since one of the shades I got was too dark in the end.

I can't afford an airbrush to custom mix, so am having to make do with what's available locally - That being Tamiya Color spraycans...

Eyeballing it, I was planning to use TS-5 Olive Drab for the upper cheeks, and TS-61 for the rest of the "face". Testing it though, as I said, it looks way too dark.

Anyone else used these cans, recommend something closer?
( I figured that TS-33 Dull Red would do for the area around the visor... )

FettMustardMask1.jpg

I use a walmart brand spraypaint called MOSS GARDEN for the dome and lower cheeks on my ESB helmets. For the upper cheeks I just use FLAT BLACK and then mist it lightly with the MOSS GARDEN. Gives it a kind of charcoal green look. For the red I just use Krylon Satin Burgundy. I think it looks pretty close.

Cnv0014.jpg

i cant help but feel a little awkward seein myself puttin mustard on my helmet... but the results are supposed to eb great, arent you gonna rip if to much green or red when srcatching the mustard off??

and i suppose you put on the blue-ish and yellow-ish weathering first, after that, work out the silver spots with a brush and some silve rpaint?

I used Tamiya's mica red (spray cans) and it worked pretty well using 2 coats. It might need to be a bit darker but that should happen anyway when you add the battle damage/ dirt, grime.

the colours i ordered were british green, dark green and mica red (spray cans) but I've only done the visor bit at the moment. which version are you doing, ESB or ROTJ ? I'll try and post some pics of my helmet if i get a chance

ESB, and I checked - It is only the Tamiya paints that my local store stock ( Not that I'd be happy mixing and matching anyway - I wanna stick with one brand to ensure paint compatibility. )

Thanks!

R boba fett wrote " cant help but feel a little awkward seein myself puttin mustard on my helmet... but the results are supposed to eb great, arent you gonna rip if to much green or red when srcatching the mustard off??"

Actually I find using a little hot water and a old tooth brush will take off the mustard fairly quickly with out damaging the other paint layers. 8)

You can get a single action badger pretty cheaply. Go to hoby Lobby or maybe even WalMart. It's in the hobby/Car kit area most likely. under $50 if I recall. :)

Geo

Geo said:
You can get a single action badger pretty cheaply. Go to hoby Lobby or maybe even WalMart. It's in the hobby/Car kit area most likely. under $50 if I recall. :)

Geo

First time i read that i thought.. "badger? what does he need a rodent for?":lol: :lol:

Right.
I ended up going for Humbrol D5511 Matt Dark Green 30 for the dome, and similarly coloured sections.
I'll still be using Tamiya TS-61 Nato Green for the back of the head, and Tamiya TS-33 Dull Red for the red sections.
For the cheeks, I've had to go for a pot of Tamiya XF-50 Field Blue, and will have to apply it by hand with a brush.

OK, it's not gonna be 100% accurate, but I think it'll turn out pretty good-looking in the end. Overall, the colours I'm using seem to be slightly darker than the real deal, but IMHO that's not such a bad thing.
I can always try to pick up the EXACT colours for when I get my bobamaker bucket ;)

03FettFirstGreenCoat.jpg

( Click for big )

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers :)

Hmmm...
I've now done 2 coats of darker green on the back of the head, and the first coat ( Had to use a brush... ) of blue on the cheeks.

It looks OK in person - There's much less of a difference between the 2 greens than I'd hoped. I guess we'll have to see how it turns out in the end :|
Might look better to me once the red trim's done.

04FettFirstRearDarkGreenCoatFirstBlueCheekCoat.jpg

^Click For Big

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back