Blaster McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup

redkraytdragon

Active Hunter
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread so I just opted for here, hope that's ok! :)
So since I decided that I really wanted to make up one of these for myself (and I wanted to have one for display at local shops and for an upcoming con), I decided to make up this little tutorial/wip for everyone (who's interested) to see how these bad boys go together (I'll also probably do a youtube video tutorial as well at some point)
Here's the statue that this weapon is based on
3775515497_a82954840c_b_zpsbad6ae06.gif

McQuarrie_Fett_blaster2_zpsac713876.gif

McQuarrie_Fett_blaster1_zps83ad4e24.gif

And the blueprints I came up with for it
FILE0002_zps43606294.gif

So here we go -
Raw kit as it gets sent out
FILE0172-1_zps27675c5e.gif

FILE0174-1_zpsc9bb0e5a.gif

FILE0175-1_zps1c1c7316.gif

060_zpsf97f4e49.gif

075_zps04564d02.gif

FILE0007_zps72801ddf.gif

Cleaning up the sprues
FILE0005_zps30043d31.gif

FILE0010_zpsf3edaa86.gif

FILE0011-1_zps8a02e71e.gif

Some filing
FILE0013-1_zps2bf5e4e1.gif

Followed by sanding
FILE0015-1_zps72f03e22.gif

All smoothed out and then repeat for the other 2
FILE0016-1_zpsfb618424.gif

Next I start sanding the seam lines along the corner edges
FILE0018-1_zps86ab6aab.gif

Then some surface sanding with 320 to prep for primer
FILE0017-1_zps709d99c0.gif

Now to clean out the stock bracket hole a bit for extra space for some adhesive and to allow for some play to set it in
FILE0019-1_zps04b7aab5.gif

Next up drill the hole for the muzzle cone
FILE0021-1_zps83c94a00.gif

Now for some glazing putty (or putty of your choice)
FILE0028-1_zps9114edd3.gif

Applied thinly with an exacto in spots where needed
FILE0023-1_zps7c2f6a48.gif

Mixing up the Devcon and applying it to the cone hole
FILE0024-1_zpseb3fcb0a.gif

FILE0025_zps0f22a490.gif

Set up and trim any excess adhesive before it gets too hard
FILE0027_zps62cbabfb.gif

FILE0029_zps202124ee.gif

FILE0030_zps585a3fb2.gif

I'll let this set over night
Up next, sand the putty and any final touch up sanding before primer...stay tuned!
 

redkraytdragon

Active Hunter
Got some more progress to share on this project
Finished priming with dark auto primer
Fett_Proto_Blaster004_zpsb6a56da9.gif

Sand all around with 320 grit
Fett_Proto_Blaster005_zps594c4ad6.gif

Fett_Proto_Blaster006_zps2f944527.gif

Next did some wet sanding with 600 grit
Fett_Proto_Blaster007_zps498b2d7f.gif

Fett_Proto_Blaster008_zpsc1497476.gif

All ready for airbrushing
Fett_Proto_Blaster009_zps468c1e83.gif

Standard acrylic flat black
Fett_Proto_Blaster011_zps6552b778.gif

Fett_Proto_Blaster013_zps4ccdbaf9.gif

All finished up in black
Fett_Proto_Blaster014_zps960b089e.gif

After that I masked off the top ridge for the silver - this was a real pain BTW, took me about 10 minutes lol
Fett_Proto_Blaster015_zpsa5fd42c4.gif

Fett_Proto_Blaster017_zps06c77b7f.gif

Up next silver
Fett_Proto_Blaster019_zps0a6ed13b.gif

Tape removed
Fett_Proto_Blaster024_zpsb9afb35f.gif

Fett_Proto_Blaster025_zpsa05d64c6.gif

Fett_Proto_Blaster028_zps7c112321.gif

Some detail shots
Fett_Proto_Blaster027_zps8d287071.gif

Fett_Proto_Blaster026_zpsdf557700.gif

Dry fit for final assembly
Fett_Proto_Blaster022_zps733d5989.gif

Fett_Proto_Blaster023_zps49f8d65f.gif


That's it for now, I have most of the brunt of the work behind me. Tomorrow will pretty much just be final assembly and weathering :D
 

Fett 4 Real

Sr Hunter
Community Staff
Will if you go with the light grey auto pimer you can see the imperfections you need to fill better...being the holes will be shadowy areas. Keep up the good work.
 

redkraytdragon

Active Hunter
So I finally got around to start working on a display for this thing...it's been lying on the carpet for a few months now since I finished it. I must say, having it displayed (and doing it properly) really makes a world of difference and I'm glad I took the time to work on this. I was thinking about how to display it since I didn't really like the way my lousy wooden stand came out for my Aurra Sing pistol case, so I decided to go about this a different way for a more minimalistic and cleaner approach and...surprise, surprise - magnets to the rescue! I just have to go and get some clear 1/4" inch acrylic to make the cover, but that's a piece of cake, I just wanted to get the base out of the way tonight and I'm pretty happy with it. (Think I'll go back and do my AS pistol the same)
Enjoy!
FILE0377_zps4f7ed716.gif

FILE0378_zpsefffc37b.gif

FILE0379_zpsd49c66de.gif

This was an unexpected pleasant side effect of installing only one magnet :)
FILE0380_zps090d5910.gif

FILE0381_zps8ba65602.gif

FILE0382_zps06d721ae.gif

FILE0392_zps8e17a0af.gif

FILE0391_zps6f2c8820.gif

FILE0384_zps7842785a.gif

FILE0393_zpsed0cd707.gif

FILE0387_zps86ac7cab.gif

FILE0389_zpsd9ea4b62.gif

FILE0386_zps5d75270f.gif

FILE0388_zps9590b36b.gif

FILE0383_zpsb1df4107.gif

FILE0385_zpse8141c64.gif

FILE0397_zps24359858.gif

FILE0395_zps105e84b2.gif

FILE0398_zps5150fece.gif
 

Plastik

New Hunter
Wow the level of work in the detail is amazing , the paint job looks awesome too. I've always loved the McQuarrie Boba
 
Top