Masking Fluid, Liquid Frisket, Liquid Mask Knowledge/Review

cbrant

Active Hunter
I see that there is not a lot of consolidated knowledge for these mediums online. Besides TDH, it looks like mini-modelers are the main people using them, though they are aimed at watercolor painters. I have had the opportunity to use four of the most commonly recommended ones, though I know there are others, as well as a lot of interesting tools people may use. I was hoping that some of the ultra-experienced here could add to this so that any newcomers could have more luck than I did when starting using these.

The ones below are what I have used so far and the pros and cons I have identified:

1. Toothpaste was my first "mask". I have seen this recommended a lot and have used it several times in a pinch. I would not recommend it, though it leaves your hard work minty-fresh. It is messy and generally sort of sticky, which can make it a pain to remove. The paint does not dry on top of it, and can create smudges when removing. I suppose most of these may vary with brand used. I used UltraBrite.

Pros: Cheap, easily obtainable, smells nice, noticeable under paint, large quantity.
Cons: Sticky, hard to remove, not easily spreadable or shapeable, doesn't let paint dry, and overall hard to work with.
Overall: Not recommended...

2. MicroScale MicroMask. I saw this recommended by a member on here along with a couple others and decided to give it a shot...twice. Mistake. I will say that I like how it applies to surfaces and it able to spread. It comes in a deep blue hue, which dries to look nice and is super easy to see. It was great up until being painted over. Even when applying what I considered a lot, it dried to be so thin it was next to unnoticeable even under a thin enamel layer. There is no easy way to remove it. Seriously, it dries onto your parts like a glue and you will likely damage your paint trying to remove it. After reveling in ruining a layer of paint I found online that other modelers use it to mask over model car and aircraft cockpit glasses. It comes in a minute 1 fl. oz. bottle.

http://www.amazon.com/Microscale-In...qid=1420864138&sr=8-1&keywords=humbrol+maskol

Pros: Cheap, Shapeable, Easy-To-See, Easy-To-Obtain.
Cons: Sticky, Hard-to-remove, Dyes Fingers.
Overall: Don't waste your money.

3. Humbrol Maskol. I finally submitted to the will of TDH and bought a bottle of this. I am U.S.-based and my only qualm with this is the price per bottle, which is not particularly cheap. U.K. or otherwise might just stick to this one. I don't recall having a single problem with it for the duration that I used it, and I used 90% of the bottle. It is quite the interesting texture and you are able to rub it between your fingers into little latex boogeys. It applies great, dries fast, and comes off pretty easily with X-acto or tape. It leaves nice clean edges to your shapes. I was disappointed to find that the remaining 10% had dried up in the bottle after having not being used for only a month. The bottle is only 28ml, which goes a long way I guess, but is actually less than 1 fl. oz. U.S. Amazon does not offer it, though you can get it on eBay for a reasonable price.

Pros: Dries quickly, Colored, Easy To See, Easy To Apply, Easy-To-Remove, Non-Damaging, Clean Lines, Easy To Clean Up.
Cons: Expensive (U.S.), Small Amount.
Overall: Maybe my personal favorite, but if you're a penny pincher you might hold off.

4. Winsor & Newton: This is my most recent one and it is very similar to Humbrol Maskol, though noticeably runnier. I have seen it recommended about as often as Humbrol on here too. It is yellowy-clear out of the bottle, which makes it harder to see than the others, though that is quickly remedied with food coloring of your choice. It spreads and applies well, dries quickly, and leaves nice lines when done. Again, very similar to the Humbrol, though it's viscosity may hinder you from using your usual applicator of choice. I had a couple nice surprises when ordering this. It is Amazon Prime eligible, which is nice. I received 3 bottles of it though I only ordered 1 - not a pro, I just wanted to brag. That experience made me want to say it was cheap, though it is similar to Humbrol in the price aspect as well... I have seen people comment on the smelliness of it, though it is no worse than the Humbrol. The best part though is that it comes in a 75ml or 2.5 fl. oz. bottle. 2.5 times the bang for your buck than the other ones - so I conclude that it is cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P1ROEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pros: Dries Quickly, Cheap, Easy To Apply, Easy to Remove, Non-Damaging, Clean Lines, Large Quantity
Cons: Needs Dyed, Pretty Runny.
Overall: Probably the best bang for your buck, though maybe just one degree less easy to use than the Humbrol. Toss-up.

ADDED:
5. Miskit by Grumbacher
per TDH user Deriak:
It applies fairly easy but tends to be a bit runny if too much is applied like for larger areas if there is any contour like the kidney plate and the back plate. I am sure I will run into the same issue with the COD plate also. It dries nicely. I can usually just run my finger nail across the area just to get it going. Then i can just rub it off with my finger. Smaller areas are a bit difficult to see and I have to remember where I put it at. I usually refer to my stencils to see where I was putting it. It come in a peach/pink color, but drys almost clear. I have not tried to use any dye. I may try to do that.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=shop&q=miskit+liquid+frisket&spd=6779091530792890620

Those are just the 4 I have used so far, but I know there are others available. I know of at least one prop maker who uses yellow mustard to mask... YUCK.

As for tools, I would like to see what the community has to say. I generally use a mechanical BIC Pencil #2 with .7mm lead to apply my masking details. I just press out a lot of lead and use it like a pencil obviously. The masking fluids do not allow for the lead to write on my surfaces, though I noticed that it would transfer when using toothpaste. Other tools I have used are toothpicks, unbent paperclips, and brushes. I do not like to use brushes because the masking really screws them up and none of them really come out of the bristles.

Hopefully this comes in handy for someone along the line. I'd be interested to see what other people use for masks and applicators, as I am by no means an expert painter! Happy hunting.

WP_20150109_23_21_10_Pro[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
V handy post funny how simple things are so logical but not necessarily thought of (speaking for myself of course i.e. toothpicks etc) can be so effective
Cheers brutha

I have use the winsor and newton one. You can use a brush only once. It dries and the bristles get stuck together. I got mine at Joann's. I signed up for their email and I get all kinds of coupons. Got my bottle for 50% off so even better of a price. I like it. Comes off easy.

i've used toothpaste, mustard, and windsor & newton on various projects over the years. while it got the job done, it was the most likely to go places i didn't want. the windsor & newton is a thin liquid latex and can be thinned down with distilled water if it gets too thick (but hasn't turned into a chunk of rubber yet). i would recommend putting a few drops of food coloring into the bottle to make it easier to see where it's been applied. you can prolong a brushes life by cleaning it in water after every dip in the fluid, but that becomes tedious quickly. my personal favorite is toothpaste. it stays where you put it, it's easy to tell where you have and have not masked yet, it doesn't wreck your brush, and that minty scent is pleasant. once the paint is nice and dry, hot water and a mr. clean magic eraser make unmasking a breeze with no smudges or mess.

I have been using Liquid Frisket, What's your opinion on that compared to the others? I haven't tried anything else...

Also, i am curious about different brands of toothpaste.. would a different type make a difference? I'd like to see more reviews on those too

I have not used any that were labeled liquid frisket, but just had assumed they were similar. What brand were you using? How did it apply and how did it come off?

As for toothpaste, I think the more viscous the better. It seemed to gum up really bad on whatever I used as an applicator and I can't really see being able to get very very fine details with it. The other issue I had is that if you mess it up, you darn well have to remove the whole section with water otherwise it just smears into the surrounding area.

If someone who had a better experience with toothpaste than myself could possibly chime in? I am really liking the Winsor and Newton currently.

i use the Windsor and Newton one with a touch of liquid acrylic for color. Havent had an issue with it at all.

I also bought this other one..i gotta look in the shop, i forgot the name....its thicker..like very thick and takes longer to dry which helps sometimes when your doing alot of detail like we are. I actually mixed some of it with the W&N one and it thickened it up a bit. Stand alone it takes a while to dry but using a hair dryer remedies that. I'll add the name to this post in a few when i get back in for the shop.

EDIT: Fasmask is the stuff i was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miskit. Sorry, for some reason I thought the name of it was Liquid Frisket. I'm dumb.

It applies fairly easy but tends to be a bit runny if too much is applied like for larger areas if there is any contour like the kidney plate and the back plate. I am sure I will run into the same issue with the COD plate also. It dries nicely. I can usually just run my finger nail across the area just to get it going. Then i can just rub it off with my finger. Smaller areas are a bit difficult to see and I have to remember where I put it at. I usually refer to my stencils to see where I was putting it. It come in a peach/pink color, but drys almost clear. I have not tried to use any dye. I may try to do that.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=shop&q=miskit+liquid+frisket&spd=6779091530792890620

Miskit. Sorry, for some reason I thought the name of it was Liquid Frisket. I'm dumb.

Deriak,

I put your info in the first post. Thanks! If you want it moved out of there, let me know. Any info is good info!

Like Necro said, it was TF who made his own application tool.
I generally use Microbrushes for applying liquid mask. They come in several sizes.

IMG_1181_zps96d0a129.jpg

For removing the dried fluid after painting, a rubber cement pickup is a handy item to have in your toolbox.

I suggest checking the model railroad section and getting a bottle of liquid latex. All those dedicated brands are just latex. You can thin latex with tap water for a super flowing result. Un thinned it flows just as well. A pint will last forever and at most cost $15-$20. Do some tests thinning it and you'll find it can be thinned dramatically and still do it's thing. It will peel/rub right off when uh you're ready. Hands down the most cost effective

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back