Man Of War Boots Review

mainst69

Active Hunter
Hi Guys (and gals),
I just wanted to post up a quick review of the Man Of War boots I received not too long ago. First off, Christian got the boots to me quickly with lots of communication in between. The boots arrived in a very timely fashion and they look great. When I say they look great, I mean beyond a cursory inspection, but closer at the workings and build quality. The stitching, soles, canvas material, etc. are all first rate. And they frickin' look like they just walked out of Cloud City (well, with a little weathering!). OK, all of that said and done, it is suggested that you order a half size larger than what you would normally wear. I was elated when I say that Christian had size 12.5 listed. I e-mailed him to make sure that he had the size in stock and was replied with a "yes, ready to ship." Awesome! The boots were one of the parts of the costume that gave me the most grief. Knowing that Man Of War is about the only game in town when it comes to accurate boots, I was very excited that he had my size.
OK, fast forward to their arrival. Tried them on, hoping to feel very comfortable and happy. They were too small! Ugh! The bottom of the soles said 12.5 too. I wear a 12 normally. OK, so, can I "break them in"? Will they stretch? I don't know, that's the project I'm working on now.
Now, this is not a bash on boots or seller. Just more of a heads up, on sizing issues. Instead of just a half size larger, you might want to consider a full size. I would send them back, but I don't think Christian offers a 13.
I've read online that canvas shoes stretch (I've also read they don't).
If anyone has any input or suggestion for me, I'd be most appreciative.
Main

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad news brother ! I am in a similar position but the other end of the scale .....I have small size 7 feet and man of war don't start until 9.5 . Have you tried going to a shoe repair shop . They have machines that can stretch footwear

Hi Guys (and gals),
I just wanted to post up a quick review of the Man Of War boots I received not too long ago. First off, Christian got the boots to me quickly with lots of communication in between. The boots arrived in a very timely fashion and they look great. When I say they look great, I mean beyond a cursory inspection, but closer at the workings and build quality. The stitching, soles, canvas material, etc. are all first rate. And they frickin' look like they just walked out of Cloud City (well, with a little weathering!). OK, all of that said and done, it is suggested that you order a half size larger than what you would normally wear. I was elated when I say that Christian had size 12.5 listed. I e-mailed him to make sure that he had the size in stock and was replied with a "yes, ready to ship." Awesome! The boots were one of the parts of the costume that gave me the most grief. Knowing that Man Of War is about the only game in town when it comes to accurate boots, I was very excited that he had my size.
OK, fast forward to their arrival. Tried them on, hoping to feel very comfortable and happy. They were too small! Ugh! The bottom of the soles said 12.5 too. I wear a 12 normally. OK, so, can I "break them in"? Will they stretch? I don't know, that's the project I'm working on now.
Now, this is not a bash on boots or seller. Just more of a heads up, on sizing issues. Instead of just a half size larger, you might want to consider a full size. I would send them back, but I don't think Christian offers a 13.
Main

Very strange I wear a size 10.5 us and ordered an 11 and they fit perfect.I have had mine almost 2 years not sure if the sizing is different now.Mabey some shoe horns can stretch them worth a try.

Hi Guys (and gals),
Main

Are they not wide enough or not long enough for you? They do make shoe and boot stretchers they are not super cheap but they may work for you. The ones I have seen are usually for width but there are a select few that are for length.

I think boot/shoe stretchers are made for leather goods.

May check with CABoots to see what they can do for you. Not super accurate but not bad either. Theirs are suede but they may be able to make them your size.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick input. My problem is the length, if I take a half inch off each big toe I'm golden. Width is fine, and really there is so much room in the toe box (I believe that's what they're called in the cowboy boot world) that the rest of my toes are super comfy. Damn big toes!!! I do know about shoe stretcher and may give that a try. Here's what I came up with from surfing the internets: canvas type shoes A: stretch so much that you should buy them a half size smaller, (I believe they mean Vans type shoes and/or sailing type shoes); B:Canvas doesn't stretch (I'm screwed here if that's the case!); and C: that you can stretch them with a little heat and microwaving them for 30 seconds and then putting them on and stretching them by crouching and pointing your toes upward etc. is the trick. So the boots went in the microwave. And stretched with two pairs of socks on. And worn for an hour or so. And then I with only one sock on to see if there was any improvement. I think there was, so I have hope for the heat/stretching/breaking them in method. They look so cool my 4 yr. old daughter asked me why I was wearing Boba Fett boots and it was not Halloween. I think it's cool that she knew what they were!
As far as the CA Boots go, I thought about that, but man, I hate to shell out that kind of money for boots that aren't as accurate as we all like things to be. If push came to shove, I'd find some crepe sole chukkas and some canvas and shoe goo some boots together.
Which brings me to my next thought. Guys, we have so many talented dudes on here who can scratch build just about anything but we have very little in the way of boot how to. We have a great how to weather CA boots tutorial, but that's the most I can find. I have seen TK409's how to but it came up a little less than stellar when compared to MOW boots. So, I've been searching for a suitable "foundation boot" which basically means a crepe sole that resembles the screen boot. I haven't found anything I'm crazy about yet, but I'm still looking. If anybody sees anything that looks promising, post up a new thread and let's find something that will work. I'm not trying to cut out anyone who makes and sells a product, heck, I've owned two pairs of MOW boots in 2 different sizes, both with the same result. I'd just like to see some possibilities for those of us on either end of the foot spectrum. I apparently am on the ski size and Funkyred is on the other end.
Oh well, thanks for the input and I'll update when I have more news.

Main

MOW does make them in 13s, I have a pair. He usually only does a few of them and you need to find out from him when he is doing another run and let him know you want a 13, that's what I did.

MOW does make them in 13s, I have a pair. He usually only does a few of them and you need to find out from him when he is doing another run and let him know you want a 13, that's what I did.
That's great to know! I'm going to see if I can stretch these a bit and see if I can get them to work for me. Thanks for the info.

I wear a size 10 and I got a size a 11 MOW boots and they are OK, just a little tight. After wearing them around the house for a few days they started to stretch out and get a bit looser and now they fit fine.
Lynn

I don't suppose MoW ever does anything larger than a 13? Depending on the shoe, I usually wear either a 13 1/2 or a 14 (that's when I can find them - you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find shoes that fit). So I imagine that if the boots run small, a 13 would be pretty painful... Any other source for larger boots, or am I going to need to find a creative solution?

Might have gone a little far in weathering lol but here is mine they're vert well made boots...worth the price. uploadfromtaptalk1456720186709.jpguploadfromtaptalk1456720202561.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G

Try finding boots in Size 14. It's impossible. Tried talking Christian into making them a few times, even offered to buy multiple pairs, but he said there weren't enough customers in that size to justify the cost. :(

Hmmmmm, I have a brand new pair of MoW boots in 9.5 that I got in a package deal. I normally wear 10.5 so I can't use them (for sale if anyone needs some 9.5's). He didn't have 11's in stock so I got 10.5's. Now I'm wondering if the 10.5's will be too small.

Guess I'll find out really soon! :cool

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back