Looking for Tips: Building the Crowprops under belt...

No, but looks like a fun project.
Just to remind you, you have to sew it on a lightweight leather backing, which requires an industrial sewing machine, or at least one strong enough to sew through leather, vinyl, etc. Here's a link of the Italian cosmaker Debora DiMeo video of the process...

I've seen that before. After talking to a buddy of mine, he suggested using a 6oz leather for the base.
That should be thin enough (I hope) to attach the "rope" to it. Have my actual pistol belt on order and just waiting on the JJ Industries metal parts... which I hope ship soon as my event is in April, and time's running out!

I ordered some 5-6 oz suede from an Amazon seller. 12x48" which should be more than long enough. It's thin enough so sewing the "rope" to it shouldn't be too hard. It's definitely not as heavy leather as the stuff used by DiMeo, but I _think_ it will work okay. Worst case scenario is I buy a slightly thicker piece and back the thinner one with a contact cement.

Got my pistol belt today. For the price it's pretty nice overall.

websizebelt1.jpg
websizebelt2.jpg

OBVIOUSLY... I'm missing a few things... like the metal parts I ordered from JJ Industries and the rope belt kit from Crowprops. Here's hoping they ship out soon. The suede backing/base belt is much darker color than the pistol belt, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. I might use it anyway because all you'll see is 1/8-1/4" of the material. I tried sanding on the edge, and it does lighten it, but the color is still off.

One thing I really like about the belt is the functional pouches. I'm not sure if anyone else does those. Plenty of room for an ID, hotel room key, con badge or beer money. :)

Good looking pistol belt! Much better than the Crowprops version... For the backing they use a "leather looking" fabric, and they don't use the rope for the whole belt, specifically under the gunbelt. They sew the gunbelt to the fabric leather looking backing and the rope is sewn in lengths above and below the gunbelt.

DiMeo also does it that way. Honestly, I think it will be easier to sew than trying to stitch actual rope to a piece of leather. I only hope I get enough material to do 7 rows.

The holster looks really good. I've ordered a belt set from DiMeo, which I should receive in the April-May timeframe, but in the meantime, I got one of those cheap belt sets from Etsy. Not accurate at all, but the cartridges (to my surprise, I thought they were just for display purposes only) were included and are actually made of metal (hollow), and the holster is just plain, and the belt doesn't have the metal details either and it's missing a lot of the cartridge loops around.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back