Looking for Gauntlet Interior Pics, Connection Methods Specifically

KerrSG1

New Hunter
So I've got a set of fiberglass armor that I'm building up for a Din Djarin costume, but I'm having some issues with the gauntlets. I'm looking for photos of the interior of the gauntlets and how they assemble. I've found plenty pics of completed gauntlets, but only the exterior and not so much inner connections. I've read a few things about using a piano hinge, but in the case of Djarin it doesn't look like any hinge should be visible so the Cruzer tutorial doesn't work in this case. I've heard of taking the rod in the hinge out and sliding it back in when wearing the gauntlet, but unsure about the other side, or is it hinged on both sides? Can some people post their shots of how they did theirs for a better idea of how to assemble them?

Due to the design of my gauntlets I was able to use the piano hinge with removable pin on the inside and it is not visible. The other edge of the gauntlet has an overlap so I made a flexible hinge by gluing elastic that will allow some stretch when opening.
Works great for me and is pretty straightforward. The gauntlets are locked onto my arm and I have no worry about snagging them and popping off.

Attachments

• 2F2E079F-447A-447D-952A-2D1913949A31.jpeg
    2F2E079F-447A-447D-952A-2D1913949A31.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 492
  • F1C19968-557A-4313-845C-1297260C829A.jpeg
    F1C19968-557A-4313-845C-1297260C829A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 622
  • DCD87B2E-D82A-4717-839C-B35310EB6C54.jpeg
    DCD87B2E-D82A-4717-839C-B35310EB6C54.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 578
  • 23F1DB88-4AAA-4EF6-9E41-A766A3084C74.jpeg
    23F1DB88-4AAA-4EF6-9E41-A766A3084C74.jpeg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 897
So I've got a set of fiberglass armor that I'm building up for a Din Djarin costume, but I'm having some issues with the gauntlets. I'm looking for photos of the interior of the gauntlets and how they assemble. I've found plenty pics of completed gauntlets, but only the exterior and not so much inner connections. I've read a few things about using a piano hinge, but in the case of Djarin it doesn't look like any hinge should be visible so the Cruzer tutorial doesn't work in this case. I've heard of taking the rod in the hinge out and sliding it back in when wearing the gauntlet, but unsure about the other side, or is it hinged on both sides? Can some people post their shots of how they did theirs for a better idea of how to assemble them?
On my GreatApe Din gaunts I used magnets (the designer made cut outs for them) and the elastic that BKBT refers to, it's a solid set-up that should work for you.

Can do; Darren/GreatApe designed the files for small rectangle magnet "cut-outs" on the inside edges of the upper shell and outside edges of the lower, I'll snap a couple pics when I get in from work.

Can do; Darren/GreatApe designed the files for small rectangle magnet "cut-outs" on the inside edges of the upper shell and outside edges of the lower, I'll snap a couple pics when I get in from work.
Thanks, I think that's what I've got here. They're fiberglass castings and appear to have a couple cut outs on one side of each gauntlet. I'll put some 5x20 mm magnets in each spot. The other side I'm thinking of using hook side adhesive backed velcro on the other side upper and lower halfs, then loop pieces with elastic fabric sewn between them. That way I can easily remove the loop pieces if I need to take apart the gauntlet for work on it, and can adjust the placement of elastic to adjust a bit as needed. Sound like a plan?

Due to the design of my gauntlets I was able to use the piano hinge with removable pin on the inside and it is not visible. The other edge of the gauntlet has an overlap so I made a flexible hinge by gluing elastic that will allow some stretch when opening.
Works great for me and is pretty straightforward. The gauntlets are locked onto my arm and I have no worry about snagging them and popping off.
Do you have any difficulty with getting the pin out of the hinge to take it off/put it on? I think the magnet option might work better for me with the particular gauntlets I have.

The pin slides in and out easily but it definitely takes some getting used to. I did have a set of Jango gauntlets that I used magnets on and they were great to put on and snap shut but I was able to open them by moving my wrist a certain way. I am sure they would never pop off though

Thanks for the magnet pics. For some reason I thought they were making contact and not sandwiched between the gauntlet. I couldn’t figure this out by looking at them. Now it is Duh! obvious!

Thanks for the magnet pics. For some reason I thought they were making contact and not sandwiched between the gauntlet. I couldn’t figure this out by looking at them. Now it is Duh! obvious!
Yeah, I was a little hesitant thinking that they wouldn't be strong enough but they really snap together. I've only had one "pop-out" due to too little super glue but they all seem to work great.

I'm pretty sure they're 1/8", purchased alot of them off Amazon I believe. I think it was the same set Darren linked when he completed the designs, I'll check.

I had so much trouble with this... I tried to find magnets that fit into the little slots of the Great Ape files but it pushed the gauntlet seam out in an unsightly way. I ended up making little risers for the magnet so that I could fit them end to end. I added a third magnet on the closer side and two on the hinge side (just for registration).

These are the magnets I used: (12x6x3mm) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09L47HV7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've attached the STL of the riser.
IMG_5715.jpg
IMG_5716.jpg
IMG_5720.jpg
IMG_5721.jpg

Attachments

• Gauntlet magnet closer.stl
    28.6 KB · Views: 104
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back