Lid material questions...

MilenkoFett

New Hunter
Pardon me if this question is redundant to all of you seasoned veteran builders out there.

I've been reading thread after thread from other would be first time builders. There seems to be one common concern, and I am running into the same issue. It's difficult to locate the proper cardboard for a good bucket. I was hoping that someone would have a few alternative materials to suggest... also if anyone knows of a supplier of the right cardboard, pm me. Thank you! Respect

I know this is "lid specific" and there is forum for lids, but I'm posting it here because I feel the more advanced prop builders have already done more than their share of lids with several materials. Once again thank you.

If anyone else is having trouble finding the right cardboard, google grey board or gray board (depending on your side of the pond). Also search mounting board... this is used for mounting art inside of a frame.

If anyone else is having trouble finding the right cardboard, google grey board or gray board (depending on your side of the pond). Also search mounting board... this is used for mounting art inside of a frame.

Not sure how that posted twice. Probably because I'm posting from my phone and it reloaded when I opened the browser. Apologies.

I use cardboard from the backs of notebooks, which I believe is easy enough to come by (but then you have all that paper left :D) Another material I use is plastic styrene sheets which you can get in varying but usually thin thicknesses. Although the styrene is typically a modeling material, I have found it to be quite useful -- especially since you can get two pieces to literally fuse together if you get the right glue (I use a red tube from Testors). I get my styrene from Evergreen. I have also heard of sintra, which is apparently a type of plastic/foam board which I have never tried.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back