Jetpack Fan System

Fettology

Hunter
So for a while now I've been trying to organize my costume with all the electronics I have. I don't like craming all the battery packs in all the pockets. It's gets heavy and wanted to arrange things better for a more pleasurable time wearing my costume. I have a complete fan system in my helmet that I made. It consists of 2x 12v fans, a switch inside the helmet, a quick disconnect at the helmet and a 12v battery pack that has the other quick disconnect. Here is the link to those interested in my kits:

For Sale - Fan Systems Ongoing Run

I usually would place the battery pack in my pocket but I wanted to distribute it better. So I came up with an over the top way to make things work. Also cause I'm a nerd and thought it would look cool.

I decided I was going to put the battery pack inside the Jetpack. It doesn't add that much weight to it so I wasn't concerned about that. I then found online some cool USB through ports (similar to XLR ports). I thought this would not only look cool but be functional. So I installed one into the base of my pack.

I measured the diameter of the port to ensure I cut the correct size hole. It was between 2 sizes so I went with the smaller one and used a dremel to file down the port until it fit snug. I traced the hole out and drilled it using a Forstner bit. Once it was a snug fit I added in the screws and nuts to the inside.

IMG_6634.JPG IMG_6635.JPG IMG_6636.JPG IMG_6637.JPG IMG_6638.JPG IMG_6640.JPG IMG_6641.JPG IMG_6642.JPG

I then took my 12v battery pack and wired up a USB type B port to the end. This will connect into the port on the inside of my pack. I attached velcro and stuck it down to the vent on the bottom of the Jetpack.

IMG_6643.JPG IMG_6644.JPG

I then took a USB to Barrel connection and gave it a test run. It worked great but needed to modify the USB port. I bought a right angle USB adapter and spliced that port with my barrel connection. This way I'm able to use my scuba frame without it hitting the USB port. I did slightly bow the bar to clear the USB port and it did the job. No snags what's so ever.

IMG_6646.JPG IMG_6737.JPG IMG_6738.JPG IMG_6739.JPG IMG_6740.JPG

And that's it. I can now run the power from my Jetpack to my helmet without any problems. And it kinda looks cool. :cool:

Hope this was a fun post for some. I had fun making it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back