James' Mandalorian Build

aucks181

New Hunter
Hi everyone
This is my first Mando build having put together 5-6 other costumes so would describe myself as an "intermediate" builder. Having spent most of my time working with ABS on TK/TB/TS I consider myself a "beginner" when it comes to Mando's and wanted to document my progress in the hope of submitting down the line at some point. I feel I've made a good start by commissioning Steve Walker for the soft parts and still researching suppliers for the rest. Being based in the UK I'd preferably source here but open to recommendations. I can imagine there's many threads on suppliers so rather than scattergun the conversation I'd like to focus and ask if anyone has advice specifically on the helmet...
I feel visually this can have a massive impact on the overall look especially if the dimensions, shine, weathering aren't quite right. There also seems to be a selection of materials from resin, fibreglass and I've just seen a metal thread?! What is the preferred material and which providers come most recommended? I see the range of prices from anywhere between £180-£580. I'm not an artist so would be looking for a full commission on a weathered helmet for my pre-beskar Din Djarin build.
Thank you

I’m picking up helmets from Misriah Designs as well as jsin props. You can check out pics on their IG pages. Both seem to be highly regarded as the most accurate helmets out there. I think based on order demand, Jsin might edge out Misriah, BUT I’m waiting to have both in-hand before I make that call.

Im currently building out my Mando as well and have decided on all of my suppliers and put down my deposits. I did a fair amount of research prior to choosing, and went with some highly recommended vendors - I went to Steve as well for the flight suit, vest, cape and some of the leather.

Let me know if you need any other recommendations! I have a fairly detailed spreadsheet put together with all parts, pricing, and suppliers :)

I’m picking up helmets from Misriah Designs as well as jsin props. You can check out pics on their IG pages. Both seem to be highly regarded as the most accurate helmets out there. I think based on order demand, Jsin might edge out Misriah, BUT I’m waiting to have both in-hand before I make that call.

Im currently building out my Mando as well and have decided on all of my suppliers and put down my deposits. I did a fair amount of research prior to choosing, and went with some highly recommended vendors - I went to Steve as well for the flight suit, vest, cape and some of the leather.

Let me know if you need any other recommendations! I have a fairly detailed spreadsheet put together with all parts, pricing, and suppliers :)

Thanks for the reply, that’s reassuring To hear about Steve So sounds like I’ve made a good start there. I’ve started a spreadsheet too so would be great to compare if you’re willing/able to share? I went with Jsin for the helmet as his weathered finish was exactly what I had in mind so looking forward to receiving that.
Boots, gloves and alu parts all sorted so the only really big investment left is the leather parts...

Thanks for the reply, that’s reassuring To hear about Steve So sounds like I’ve made a good start there. I’ve started a spreadsheet too so would be great to compare if you’re willing/able to share? I went with Jsin for the helmet as his weathered finish was exactly what I had in mind so looking forward to receiving that.
Boots, gloves and alu parts all sorted so the only really big investment left is the leather parts...

I’m going with Delta Leatherworks. My aluminum is from JJ Industries, and they’re sending the buckles, etc to Delta to use on the leather. I know that JJ also works with another leather vendor for the Mando parts - Cosmic Workshop, but I really haven’t looked in to their product. Hope that helps!

Leather parts - stitching colour?!
Hi guys, as there doesn't seem to be an official CRL yet I'm looking to see if anyone has clarity over the stitching. I'm looking to source a supplier for the leather set but theres a range of smooth vs "bumpy" but it's actually the white stitching used on many that put me off. The screen caps (first 3 images below) don't seem to have any stitching visible. The following 5 x images are from a range of suppliers. Am I being thick here and simply need to dye/weather the sets when received or should I go for a supplier who is simply more screen accurate from the offset?
Thanks

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 302
  • facing.jpg
    facing.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 282
  • pre-beskar.jpg
    pre-beskar.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 283
I’d say weathering and/or black washing will do the trick. I’m not sure you’re gonna find more accurate leather work out there than Delta, Cosmic, or Steven Walker. If there’s a more screen-accurate set being produced out there, I’m not aware of it. I’ve talked to lots of people building Mando kits and they all seem to point to the three I mentioned. That being said, if you find someone that makes better kits, let us know!

Incidentally, just compared pricing between Delta Leatherworks and Cosmic Workshop, and WHOA. Delta is $450, and Cosmic is $1250! I wonder what accounts for the difference? IMHO Delta seems to be nicer quality, slightly more accurate - no offense at all to Cosmic. They are both masters at their trade.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

Was emailing back and forth with Delta regarding the stitching question and here is what Mike said:

“So my "expertise" comes from first exhibition of his armor (before screening). One on my clients had access to such armor - already having our set - and among his feedback there was nothing about thread. And you can actually see that on all (bigger scale) toys that where designed before we saw Mando on the screen. They had acceess to that armor as well.

But you are correct, in the show it's all blended brown. And I'm not sure what way 501'st will go, but what I know is that if we go with light sttiching now you can darken it up in no time, the other way around? I'm not sure if is possible.”

Hi guys, can anyone offer any advice on my chest plate please? Costume is coming together now. Did a quick velcro to see the first pieces in place but I can’t see the flak jacket either side of the chest plate (although officially this isn’t stated in the CRL as a requirement) so not sure it would clear in its current size? Can I ask you guys what widths you have for your flak and chest armour please? Mine are shown below. They are Great Ape files at 100%. Thanks for advising
F8E99CAD-2450-4CBE-A08C-6458947BF034.jpeg
55A30BA1-7C52-4A21-BB5F-E3A1236BF837.jpeg
6B1B57E6-EB9F-46F7-989A-B939E7F58CCD.jpeg
A82CC9AE-B5A2-4916-B84D-043BFD9854AA.jpeg

Been an up and down day today. After much internal fighting trying to work out if my flak vest is too small or my armour too big I’ve decided based on feedback from forums that I need a bigger/wider vest?!
BFDF3B08-5158-4F58-9190-B8E8F4218BEF.jpeg
22F19CB1-E39C-4FDF-9614-1BA6599EB4E2.jpeg

On a positive note I did some weathering on the leathers and boots today and really pleased how it came out! Here’s a before and after with my Crowprops boots

Attachments

• 3AEA1569-AB7A-4EF3-B90D-9E295300A0FB.jpeg
    3AEA1569-AB7A-4EF3-B90D-9E295300A0FB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 267
  • CE25556E-A5FC-4FC0-8144-06D5F4F5E9B7.jpeg
    CE25556E-A5FC-4FC0-8144-06D5F4F5E9B7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 248
On a positive note I did some weathering on the leathers and boots today and really pleased how it came out! Here’s a before and after with my Crowprops boots
Weathering looks phenomenal! Would love some details on how you achieved that look on the boots and leg wrap!

Weathering looks phenomenal! Would love some details on how you achieved that look on the boots and leg wrap!
Sorry for the delay SolarFett - but I went a bit rustic with my approach on the weathering. Besides doing the normal sanding to scuff up the leather using screen grabs and images from original displays such as D23, I actually wore them and took them out walking. There is a local sand trail near me, one section of which the soil/sand sediment is almost the perfect tone of burnt amber. I simply spent a little time burying and rubbing my ankle and calves in these sections to allow the sand to do it's work in the scuffed crevices made by the sanding.

Leather parts - stitching colour?!
Hi guys, as there doesn't seem to be an official CRL yet I'm looking to see if anyone has clarity over the stitching. I'm looking to source a supplier for the leather set but theres a range of smooth vs "bumpy" but it's actually the white stitching used on many that put me off. The screen caps (first 3 images below) don't seem to have any stitching visible. The following 5 x images are from a range of suppliers. Am I being thick here and simply need to dye/weather the sets when received or should I go for a supplier who is simply more screen accurate from the offset?
Thanks
who is JPG.4 from that looks best! also worrying about the thread color is a minute detail and can be easily darkened. the clips and overall build would worry me more. lol

Steven Walker did all my soft parts and leathers, he’s based in the UK and you can find his thread on here under Steve’s Mando or Din Djarin build I think. I did the final weathering as I’m no good working with leather

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back