Is this helmet good enough?

WhateverItTakes

Jr Hunter
Hi there!

Im still trying to figure out which suppliers I am going to choose for my Boba ROTJ build.

A friend of mine in the 501st has recently begun to build some helmets, but I dont want to buy anything before Im sure that it's good enough.

Helmet seems pretty good to me, but Im not sure about the RF. I'm sure you guys will be able to help me here.

Price is 160€. The good thing about it is that I wouldnt have to add any shipping, paypal fees or custom's fare.

16e8b7c21247a5323df515f6f0dde749.jpg

7ac611cfe4059ee229b6c2a8ad4436c6.jpg
2b613baeec31d517cfc4ac64f0a48aa3.jpg

1554a5ece035c9a7609f3826996dd241.jpg

a281fa850d8ad0bd7ce29a1a91c53b4d.jpg
dc78a14764c82eb9f99383c7a2b7c39f.jpg

Thabk you in advance guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
It has some serious warped issues on the face, and it doesn't look very clean. Its kind of a high price for a mediocre helmet. Some serious scratches and just not very smooth.

Idk if you're interested, but I myself have been working on a scratch build for over a year, its just now nearly ready to cast, and its going to include a visor, stalk, detail parts, and its currently best for a ROTJ build. Asking $250 plus shipping. Obviously a higher price but take a look and you may think its worth it. There are many established helmet makers on here that have helmets for a similar price, but wait times are something to take into account. Mine should be completely ready before the end of September at the longest. The WIP thread is here: Le1120's Second Cardboard Helmet Scratch Build -- WIP

Sorry for any unintentional hijacking!

Thank you both for your help. I will not buy it then.

I will check your work le1120 and try to make a decision. There are some very good options, but my budget is pretty tight (not sure if that is the correct way to say that in english).

Again, thank you both for your answers.

Hehe ok, I guess I still have to see a ton of helmets until I can distinguish a good helmet from a bad one.

Thank you all for your answers.

Go to the helmet paint up threads, or just the helmet paint ups in the helmet section. Look for the painters doing a Paint Up commission for somebody. For starters, only look at the ROTJ ones. This will get your eye used to the paint scheme/damages that are used on that helmet. Next, look long and hard at the helmet in the primer stages. Most of the painters will make a comment about "I had to fill some air bubbles" or I had to fix this or that. Pay attention to those comments. They will almost always list the helmets maker. Some makers build a better helmet more suitable for ROTJ. Pay attention to what the painters have to say about which ones are more suitable for that build. Take notes. Subscribe. Don't get in a hurry to buy too fast.
Next, if your planning on wearing/trooping take your body size into consideration. Some makers helmets are bigger/smaller than others. You don't want to be a big guy with a little helmet and your don't want to look like Dark Helmet from space balls either!
Research, research, research.
Lastly, if you see a painter that you think does a particularly good job after looking at lots of threads, ask them what they would suggest. Just PM them, ask questions. I've bugged the crap out of everyone on here! Superjedi and Darth Voorhees roll their eyes when they see a PM in their box from me now!!!
Enjoy the journey, and good job for asking opinions before you purchase. I didn't the first time around and it cost me time and money.

Main

Go to the helmet paint up threads, or just the helmet paint ups in the helmet section. Look for the painters doing a Paint Up commission for somebody. For starters, only look at the ROTJ ones. This will get your eye used to the paint scheme/damages that are used on that helmet. Next, look long and hard at the helmet in the primer stages. Most of the painters will make a comment about "I had to fill some air bubbles" or I had to fix this or that. Pay attention to those comments. They will almost always list the helmets maker. Some makers build a better helmet more suitable for ROTJ. Pay attention to what the painters have to say about which ones are more suitable for that build. Take notes. Subscribe. Don't get in a hurry to buy too fast.
Next, if your planning on wearing/trooping take your body size into consideration. Some makers helmets are bigger/smaller than others. You don't want to be a big guy with a little helmet and your don't want to look like Dark Helmet from space balls either!
Research, research, research.
Lastly, if you see a painter that you think does a particularly good job after looking at lots of threads, ask them what they would suggest. Just PM them, ask questions. I've bugged the crap out of everyone on here! Superjedi and Darth Voorhees roll their eyes when they see a PM in their box from me now!!!
Enjoy the journey, and good job for asking opinions before you purchase. I didn't the first time around and it cost me time and money.

Main

Thank you sir, I really appreciate you took the time to write all this. I didnt think about taking body size into consideration, and right know it seems kind of important.

I've been lurking for some time here already, but I will keep reading stuff until I've learn some more before buying anything

Thank you for your help!

It isn't often that you can actually clearly see warp based on pictures. I think it is nice to see an exaggerated view of what a poor cast looks like.

Reminds me of an after dinner mint that someone stuck in their mouth, changed their mind and then took it out again so it started to melt. It looks like it's got the same texture too

To be sure, but eBay has become notorious for having recasts or other low quality items pop up on a frequent basis.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back