General Is it possible to build a costume in a month? (with a full time job)

I can weigh in on the Rubies Supreme costume. I got it for $250 off of eBay a few months ago and I'd say it's barely worth that. I actually have it as a placeholder on a mannequin while I do my build and it's passable from a distance but up close the armor doesn't hold up. I put the Hasbro Black Series helmet on it as I already had it and even though it's an ESB helmet, it looks miles better than the Rubies one (which also wasn't accurate to ROTJ). As you see in the image, it's just ok and no way I'd pay the $600-900 I've typically seen it priced at.

IMG_2991.jpg

Highly unlikely. You'd have to get everything commissioned for you (painted, trimmed, completed etc.). That takes more than a month for most sellers. Basically if you don't want a Halloween store grade costume, you're definitely looking at more than a month. Arkady makes the best flight suits and she takes several months. That's just one seller. And her suits don't come weathered either. So long story short, it depends on how good you want it to look.

Yeah, that Rubies looks hardly passable to my eyes. The ammo belt is the only part that looks even close to me.

Best regards,
- TheLavaMelon

Yeah, that Rubies looks hardly passable to my eyes. The ammo belt is the only part that looks even close to me.

Best regards,
- TheLavaMelon
LOL. I replaced the ammo belt with a $30 one off of eBay. The one that comes with it is molded rubber and looks horrible. It's a fun little placeholder for my basement until my build is complete...and it's a constant motivation to get that build done and replace it!

DennisFett1142
That Han in Carbonite rocks! (y) Some of the Rubies I’ve seen.....the helmet is laughable, and even though not accurate it was good to toss the ESB Hasbro on it. As you said looks miles better than Rubies. Here is a YouTube review of the Rubies:

....That helmet though....The damage paint job on the dent of that helmet......like c'mon man, seriously?!

mattman1138
Speaking truths here. Started my journey last November and after much research.....yeah it takes months to get something of any real quality. But and again.....assuming TheLavaMelon had it all researched and all parts, paints, etc. ready to go, a month is doable I think. I mean there'd be no screwing around though, you'd have to literally be in "Boba Mode" the moment your off work from that full time job until sleepy time. I think getting stuff second hand from The Cargo Hold I think is the better choice though.

-Iron

Last edited:
I can weigh in on the Rubies Supreme costume. I got it for $250 off of eBay a few months ago and I'd say it's barely worth that. I actually have it as a placeholder on a mannequin while I do my build and it's passable from a distance but up close the armor doesn't hold up. I put the Hasbro Black Series helmet on it as I already had it and even though it's an ESB helmet, it looks miles better than the Rubies one (which also wasn't accurate to ROTJ). As you see in the image, it's just ok and no way I'd pay the $600-900 I've typically seen it priced at.

View attachment 198750

This HIC, bruh!!! :eek: Simply amazing.

This HIC, bruh!!! :eek: Simply amazing.

That's a budget HIC build I did a few years ago. Literally did it in one day. It'll be my next project after my Fett build. I have the ABS Plastic cast Volvo control panels on order and have the metal greebles and the Fettronics stuff tucked away and ready to go. Appreciate the kind words from you and Iron on the HIC for sure!

DennisFett1142
That Han in Carbonite rocks! (y) Some of the Rubies I’ve seen.....the helmet is laughable, and even though not accurate it was good to toss the ESB Hasbro on it. As you said looks miles better than Rubies. Here is a YouTube review of the Rubies:

....That helmet though....

mattman1138
Speaking truths here. Started my journey last November and after much research.....yeah it takes months to get something of any real quality. But and again.....assuming TheLavaMelon had it all researched and all parts, paints, etc. ready to go, a month is doable I think. Getting stuff second hand from The Cargo Hold I think is the better choice though.

-Iron
Yea I didn't even think about the Cargo hold. You could probably piece things together that are already completed, or just buy an entire set if someone is selling one. Good point (y)

Yea I didn't even think about the Cargo hold. You could probably piece things together that are already completed, or just buy an entire set if someone is selling one. Good point (y)

Yepper's! Again took me nearly a year to acquire all the parts for my Halloween appearance and I still have a few things to weather up a bit more and while I've started on my Jetpack, I still need to finish it. And then hopefully I'll get my Helmet next week so I can start on that......but I gotta chop chop.....it's go time!

-Iron

Yepper's! Again took me nearly a year to acquire all the parts for my Halloween appearance and I still have a few things to weather up a bit more and while I've started on my Jetpack, I still need to finish it. And then hopefully I'll get my Helmet next week so I can start on that......but I gotta chop chop.....it's go time!

-Iron
Same here about a year. And gotta get moving for me too :lol: Go time baby!!

old post that might interest you:

Very interesting. Not completely terrible for 3 weeks. I think this is probably the best he could get away with.

Thanks for the link! I like how he did the jetpack in particular. If I have time to do the jetpack I'll go a similar route for sure.

I started working on the armor pieces tonight so I'm moving to a WIP thread:

Best regards,
- TheLavaMelon

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back