General Is it possible to build a costume in a month? (with a full time job)

TheLavaMelon

New Hunter
Myself and a group of my friends going to a costume dance as Star Wars characters, and I chose Boba Fett. But, the dance is only a month from now.

I'm not looking for 501st approval, but I don't want something that looks like crap.

Any advice? How much does an ESB or ROTJ costume cost to put together?

Given your compressed time table you'll likely have a near impossible time actually building something. Honestly, there simply wouldn't be enough time to find and/or commission all the pieces you'd need and that doesn't even cover any required painting, fitting to your body type, etc. Depending on how one defines "looks like crap", as you say, you might need to go the Rubies Supreme route or something like that. Those run just shy of $1K I think. Personally, I've been working hard for 6 months, at times even throwing coin at a screen accurate build, and it still isn't done.

TheLavaMelon
A couple questions:
1) Whats your budget?
There are budget builds, and this can help determine which way to point you. I initially wanted to spend only $1500 on my ROTJ variant, and now? I'm at about $4,200. Most of the work being done myself. Like you I'm not seeking 501st approval, I just wanted something that is movie quality. I went on the cheap end on a few things but opt'd to get a nice set of other upgrades which is where the money was spent. The stuff I got "El Cheapo" I plan to replace in the future as part of a "Phase 2" initiative. I've seen full turn key commissions go from $7,000 on up.

Your other enemy is time. You mentioned you have a full-time job, and while I think it is possible to do a full build in a month, assuming you have the parts ready to go and begin working on it now. Almost all the members on "The Dented Helmet" didn't go to one vendor for all their Boba Fett needs. We went through multiple vendors to acquire the parts. And I'd say 75% of the time the vendor needs to make the part and doesn't have it ready to ship immediately. I ordered my armor and helmet from a respectable vendor - Boba Maker - home - And it took a better part of the year to get to me.

Second question:
2) What do you think looks like crap?
I'm sure you've seen the Rubies Supreme costumes out there that you can get anywhere from $500-$750 (and on up)
Rubies Boba Fett.jpg

See...to me....yeah, No! Definitely not what I'd be going for. But maybe this is acceptable to you, and maybe that's all you need. And if so.....cool!

Also, so many things are being sold in the "Cargo Hold" section of this forum (From other members), so take a look in there too.

Third question:
3) Do you have a part list ready? This'll help keep things organized, if you need help with a parts list or are not sure what to get, let us know.

But whatever you decide to do, have fun with it.

Thanks,
-Iron

I agree with what everyone above has said.
I started my Boba on 5/15 and was able to work on it every day since I'm out of work because to COVID. Many have told me I moved incredibly fast. The reality is I spent over 700 hours on the build.

I am going for 501st approval, so I am in a different category.

The point is this is one of the most difficult, complicated and expensive costumes there is to build.

You may be better off getting a Rubies if you are ok with the quality.

Where do you live? Be advised that ordering from the US takes forever now because of the ongoing USPS crisis. My project has come to a screeching halt because of this.

Normal shipping time from USA to Norway: 2-3 weeks.
Now: 1-2 months, sometimes more.

I ordered 6 items from various US based vendors in June and July. Five of those has arrived, and all of them took over a month. Still waiting for the last one, shipped July 1.

If you need faster shipping, use a private company like UPS or Fedex. They are way more expensive, but their delay is only a week or so.

Thank you all for the responses, I was not expecting so many replies!

Answers:
> Where do you live?
Texas, although I do still prefer UPS or Fedex. The post office isn't great on a good day.

> Whats your budget?
I'm looking to spend less than $2k

> What do you think looks like crap?
Something with blatantly wrong colors and/or proportions. Sure the Rubies looks like Boba, but a mildy observant viewer wold immediately know that it was extremely inaccurate. (To be fair though, if I hadn't been looking at the great stuff people have been doing on this forum, I might not have noticed)

> Do you have a part list ready?
I don't.

New question: Is there a master parts list that I can trim down to what I can hope to accomplish?

Best regards,
- TheLavaMelon

Budget, time, and accuracy are your biggest factors right now. Do you want it as accurate as you can get it or do you just want to be able to get enough of it done to where people will be able to recognize that it’s Boba Fett? A Rubies costume may be your best bet if you are willing to pay that price. If you want to do a loose budget build you could buy a Hasbro Boba Fett helmet, a grey jumpsuit, and then an armor kit to paint up.

Never mind, you posted right as I was typing this up.

> Do you want it as accurate as you can get it or do you just want to be able to get enough of it done to where people will be able to recognize that it’s Boba Fett?
A bit of both. I want enough pieces there that it's more than recognizable, and I want those pieces to be as accurate as I can practically get it without spending too much time.

> you could buy a Hasbro Boba Fett helmet, a grey jumpsuit, and then an armor kit to paint up.
I hadn't seen the Hasbro helmet. It looks really good for the price, but I would be worried about matching those colors for the rest of the armor.
It is on Amazon Prime, so if I start running out of time that would be a good option. Thanks!

Best regards,
- TheLavaMelon

Here is my parts list.

Item
Jet Pack
Jet Pack Hooks & Straps
U.S. Divers Belt Buckle
Jet Pack Harness
Soft Parts
Ammo Belt
Gloves
Boots
Misc Alum Parts
Armor
Gauntlets
Helmet
Helmet Fans
EE-3 Blaster
Mohair Girth Belt
Girth Belt Stain
Shin Tools
Wireless mic

New question: Is there a master parts list that I can trim down to what I can hope to accomplish?

Irongladiator has a list on the first page of his build thread.

Edit* The one above is a good one too.

> Do you want it as accurate as you can get it or do you just want to be able to get enough of it done to where people will be able to recognize that it’s Boba Fett?
A bit of both. I want enough pieces there that it's more than recognizable, and I want those pieces to be as accurate as I can practically get it without spending too much time.

> you could buy a Hasbro Boba Fett helmet, a grey jumpsuit, and then an armor kit to paint up.
I hadn't seen the Hasbro helmet. It looks really good for the price, but I would be worried about matching those colors for the rest of the armor.
It is on Amazon Prime, so if I start running out of time that would be a good option. Thanks!

Best regards,
- TheLavaMelon
The helmet doesnt match the armor.... so that isnt as much of an issue as you think.

If it were me. I'd be searching and planning instead of asking for guidance. Most people here spend years building their suits. I built my first suit in 3 weeks... So I can say YES it can be done. HOWEVER I had spent 9 months acquiring said parts from various places. This was many moons ago. At this point unless you buy pieces ready to wear, its unlikely you will pull off a passable (from 20 ft away) boba fett having never built one before and having not done any research. Purchase parts from the cargo hold (used pieces)

TheLavaMelon
You may wanna give this company a look at. I can't say too much about that but considering your proce point I think this may be worth a look. Also considering your time frame.

I'm not 100% but I think this is US based company (Unless someone can tell me different) But when I had the $1500 initial budget I was talking about, this was a good contender. (y)

ShortFuse
Thanks man! That list has kept me on track on more than one occasion. ;)

Thanks,
-Iron

TheLavaMelon
You may wanna give this company a look at. I can't say too much about that but considering your proce point I think this may be worth a look. Also considering your time frame.

I'm not 100% but I think this is US based company (Unless someone can tell me different) But when I had the $1500 initial budget I was talking about, this was a good contender. (y)

ShortFuse

Thanks,
-Iron
Evotoys.... theyre in south america...they used to be a member here actually. Stuff is pretty much a little better then rubies.

The helmet doesnt match the armor.... so that isnt as much of an issue as you think.

If it were me. I'd be searching and planning instead of asking for guidance. Most people here spend years building their suits. I built my first suit in 3 weeks... So I can say YES it can be done. HOWEVER I had spent 9 months acquiring said parts from various places. This was many moons ago. At this point unless you buy pieces ready to wear, its unlikely you will pull off a passable (from 20 ft away) boba fett having never built one before and having not done any research. Purchase parts from the cargo hold (used pieces)

Oh, I didn't know they were different colors. Regarding research: Yes, I'm trying to figure things out on my own. I only asked in case somebody could point me in the right direction. I think that goal has been accomplished. I have already found a helmet kit and a flight suit in the cargo hold, so I'm working that out right now.

TheLavaMelon

ShortFuse

Thanks,
-Iron

Thanks for the link! I'll be taking a look at that for sure.

Best regards,
- TheLavaMelon

Evotoys.... theyre in south america...they used to be a member here actually. Stuff is pretty much a little better then rubies.

Ah, shucks. With the current global situation, I was hoping to avoid waiting for international shipping. Thanks for the heads-up!

Best regards,
- TheLavaMelon

TheLavaMelon
Even though they are international (Thanks for the clarification Fett 4 Real ;)) It still may worth a call, I see they have a customer service email - they seem to be a big enough company, you may just wanna ask about time frames. Though I do see that they look to have a 7 to 15 Days time frame. So you'd be cutting it pretty close.

Thanks,
-Iron

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back