Is Fugly the best clean ESB helmet?

SithEcholon

New Hunter
Sorry if this has been discussed before as I'm still new.

From what I've been able to gather regarding lineage castings, it seems to me that the Wasted Fugly sounds like the best option for a clean lineage ESB helmet. Even with the issue of generational shrinkage.

While Machine Craft and RS are probably the most top tier helmets, the thing is I REALLY hate the ROTJ SE damage. I want an ESB helmet, not an SE helmet.

It would be ideal if RS or MC offered cleaned up versions.

The only other options I am aware of is attempting to restore an RS or MC kit myself (working on kits is something I've never done before) or seeing if a paintjob artist would be willing do all that extra work on a commission (probably going to cost extra).

So is the Fugly the best choice for what I'm looking for or is there something better out there?

There used to be a sale thread for the Fugly but now I can't find it. It's not listed in the consolidated thread.

Last edited:
This is really not an easy to answer question. Youre only interested in lineage, right? Even theres more options. I suggest you take a look at this here thread, it should contain all the answers you are looking for. Towards the End there is a graphic that displays the helmets derived from the original ESB.

That chart and thread were helpful, thanks!

There would be so much demand for a clean Gen3 if RS or MC were ever to make one.

I actually just now saw on Instagram that Wasted is doing a special run of Fugly or SE helmets with metal ears. I imagine they are sized specifically for his helmets. Hopefully there's more information on that soon in his metal parts thread.

What's the difference between the FPH2 and FPH3?

There would be so much demand for a clean Gen3 if RS or MC were ever to make one.

I actually just now saw on Instagram that Wasted is doing a special run of Fugly or SE helmets with metal ears. I imagine they are sized specifically for his helmets. Hopefully there's more information on that soon in his metal parts thread.

boba87fett correct me if Im wrong please...
SithEcholon Aggreed on the Gen 3 ESB-corrected demand! That would be quite something!

Regarding the FPH2 and 3... Theres no connection between the helmets whatsoever. The origins of the FPH2 are debated hotly, but lets just say its a fan sculpt with some lineage of unknown source mingled in there.
The FPH3 is an ESB-derived casting thats cleaned up the SE damage for an ESB look. I.e. exactly one of those options that you are looking for. The producer just started calling it an FPH3. Why does he do that? I have no clue. Youd have to ask him and probalby wouldnt be getting an anser. In my opinion its not a very sensible thing to do since the Fettpride name has left quite a sour aftertaste with a lot of people.

I should probably update the chart to reflect the (few) changes that have taken place since then:
  • the update of the Fugly and MF equivalent
  • the renaming of the FPH3
  • and the release of the 3D print files
Oh well....

If WF is including metal ears that fit his Fugly then that makes it that much better Hopefully the ear platforms are all G2/G4 hero sized so they’re cross compatible.

There was an original Fett Pride helmet, then the second Fett Pride helmet and then MinuteFett bought the rights to be called Fett Pride with some of the molds.
MinuteFett decided the ESB lineage casting should be called an FPH3 because he considers himself FettPride now after buying the name and molds from Chris Jones - the original FP.

The modified lineage based helmets should replace the FPH2 at this point, which is why the FPH2 is irrelevant now.

If MachineCraft or RS Props offered a cleaned up version of their helmets those would be the "best" option for a pure Empire Strikes Back helmet.

Chris Jones is still producing molds and helmets derived from his recasting of the G3. Since all helmets came from the same mold his attempt to create other hero helmets and sell those molds to other vendors is still continuing, regardless who has the naming rights for "Fett Pride".

The FPH2 isn't irrelevant but other options are just closer now in the degree of their lineage. If you own a FPH2, FUGLY, Dakota/RS, G5 hero, etc there's no way in measurements and comparisons you could make the educated conclusion that the FPH2 is a fan sculpt. Chris is super talented, but hell when he showed off his ROTJ hero there was still visible damage from master mold of the ESB hero. Not exactly an eye for detail.

Dakota and RS are the only vendors allowed to advertise and sell their G2 buckets. I look forward to the other options the community will have access to.

Last edited:
If MachineCraft or RS Props offered a cleaned up version of their helmets those would be the "best" option for a pure Empire Strikes Back helmet.

Chris Jones is still producing molds and helmets derived from his recasting of the G3. Since all helmets came from the same mold his attempt to create other hero helmets and sell those molds to other vendors is still continuing, regardless who has the naming rights for "Fett Pride".

The FPH2 isn't irrelevant but other options are just closer now in the degree of their lineage. If you own a FPH2, FUGLY, Dakota/RS, G5 hero, etc there's no way in measurements and comparisons you could make the educated conclusion that the FPH2 is a fan sculpt. Chris is super talented, but hell when he showed off his ROTJ hero there was still visible damage from master mold of the ESB hero. Not exactly an eye for detail.

Dakota and RS are the only vendors allowed to advertise and sell their G2 buckets. I look forward to the other options the community will have access to.
Hey there,
I never handled an FPH2, I only read a ton and had a few conversations about it. Bottom line for me is what I wrote up there "The origins of the FPH2 are debated hotly, but lets just say its a fan sculpt with some lineage of unknown source mingled in there." Id love to see more conclusive evidence! :)

Then one more question.... Did you mean that Chris Jones is selling helmets and molds under his own name somewhere? Or something else?

Chris Jones will probably never be forthcoming about the actual origins of the FPH2 but the measurements of all those helmets is pretty conclusive that the FPH2 is not a fan sculpt and does trace itself back to the hero. How and when is what I would love to know.

To your second question. Chris Jones is still 100% in the Fett business. Being banned here and various forms hasn't change that for the last 2-3 years. The brand "Fett Pride" is tarnished in the community and the best thing he could have done is sold it off. He makes more money selling his new molds derived from his recasts, his current bucks of AE/hero armor and jetpack molds than he probably did selling direct and now he doesn't have to deal with any of the headache. I would guarantee you, we'll be seeing a new jetpack rocket with retractable fins soon but they won't be advertised as coming from Chris.

But no more speculation. SithEcholon has everything they need to buy an ESB helmet.

Just my 2 cents, if your looking for a perfect clean fett helmwt that accurate, check out Grimworks on etsy. I have FPh2 and fully helmets. Grimworks made his helmet from scratch using Rafelfett's measurements and templates and then expertly cast it.. its one of the most beautiful castings I have had the opportunity to paint.. its a perfect clean boba helmet! Like perfect. His range finder is amazing too. Great service and I'm shocked I don't see more people using his helmet as a base. Its accurate and priced well. You won't be disappointed. Check him out seriously. Best clean version out there.

Just my 2 cents, if your looking for a perfect clean fett helmwt that accurate, check out Grimworks on etsy. I have FPh2 and fully helmets. Grimworks made his helmet from scratch using Rafelfett's measurements and templates and then expertly cast it.. its one of the most beautiful castings I have had the opportunity to paint.. its a perfect clean boba helmet! Like perfect. His range finder is amazing too. Great service and I'm shocked I don't see more people using his helmet as a base. Its accurate and priced well. You won't be disappointed. Check him out seriously. Best clean version out there.
You can’t compare something with lineage to the real helmet to a fan made sculpt

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just looked them up. It does look like a nice casting and a good sculpt. But the ears being cast as part of the helmet instead of separate is kind of a dealbreaker.

Apart from the obvious discrepancy... is RafalFett aware of this? as far as I can remember he relased the templates for personal use only, not to make money from. I could be wrong though and maybe that was in regards of his 3D models.

KaanE is correct. You can use the templates to do your own sculpt, then sell copies. The reasoning in this is that when you use the templates, somehow you will transfer your style into that build, this is why with one template you will have lots of different helmets in shape or size.

KaanE is correct. You can use the templates to do your own sculpt, then sell copies. The reasoning in this is that when you use the templates, somehow you will transfer your style into that build, this is why with one template you will have lots of different helmets in shape or size.
This was understanding from the times I spoke to you which is why inposted this. I will say, grimworks credits you as the designer of the measurements and files, and he sxratchbuikt the master from cards rock. The ears being cast in are in no way a deal breaker for me. They are beautiful. Don't believe me, check our this finished helmet. . .

Attachments

• 20210613_192611.jpg
    20210613_192611.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
  • 20210613_192721.jpg
    20210613_192721.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • 20210613_192806.jpg
    20210613_192806.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 130
  • 20210608_164814.jpg
    20210608_164814.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
  • 20210608_164807.jpg
    20210608_164807.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
  • 20210608_164801.jpg
    20210608_164801.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 163
This was understanding from the times I spoke to you which is why inposted this. I will say, grimworks credits you as the designer of the measurements and files, and he sxratchbuikt the master from cards rock. The ears being cast in are in no way a deal breaker for me. They are beautiful. Don't believe me, check our this finished helmet. . .
That is a great looking helmet.

I would still prefer one to be correctly constructed (preferably with optional metal ears). So I'm only seriously considering lineage options.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back