Inside of Helmet

pthalken

New Hunter
I have a 3D printed helmet printed with PLA. I was wondering if anything needs to be done to the inside of the helmet. I am not going to have a whole lot of electronics stashed in there, but do I need to paint resin on in the inside? What did ya'll do?

I don't like using 3d prints for helmets. I had printed a couple of helmets and after priming them left them out in the sun for about 10 minutes(Not kidding here) and they all warped!

I even tried putting resin fiberglass inside but the heat of the resin caused it to warp AGAIN.

I recommend some epoxy resin that is quick drying and doesn't create a lot of heat in order to prevent it from warping.

You shouldn't need to do anything, 3D plastics are stable with no health risks unless you melt them. And paint will only make glueing things inside to it harder since you'll be glueing to the paint layer instead of the plastic itself. So it's mostly just a cosmetic choice for you. if you just want it smooth, you could try rotocasting some of that 3d smoothing resin in there, but I don't know anyone who's tried that.

MinuteFett Yeah that's definitely an issue with PLA, and lower melting casting plastics too like Smoothon 65D. Hopefully OP's was printed thick enough to make it less an issue. Something like this should really be printed in PETG or another higher melt plastic.

I don't like using 3d prints for helmets. I had printed a couple of helmets and after priming them left them out in the sun for about 10 minutes(Not kidding here) and they all warped!

I even tried putting resin fiberglass inside but the heat of the resin caused it to warp AGAIN.

I recommend some epoxy resin that is quick drying and doesn't create a lot of heat in order to prevent it from warping.
how thin was your print? mine are about a third of an inch. I wouldn't leave it in a hot car, but I don't think it would warp just sitting outside in the sun for 10 min.

100% infill, about the same 1/3 inch. I tested it by leaving it out for hours in the hot sun and it would begin to warp around 4 hours.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back