Hydra's Post Imperial Custom Build

Hydra

Active Hunter
Started this custom as a way to get out of a creative funk. Still like to share this kind of stuff on forums, far prefer this format for builds than Facebook groups or other forms of social media, anyways, plan to wrap up this build very shortly. All elements are in some level of progress.
I'll update this thread in the next couple of weeks. Hope to debut her at Dragon Con along side a custom for my husband.

VM3C66v.jpg

Her concept art was drawn in Procreate (iPad), aiming for a monochrome pallet. You cannot see her kidney plate or tasset plate on the opposing side of the drawing. Colors may deviate a little from this concept as this build is moving quick so fabric/paint sourcing will be a best effort situation.

Of5cx4d.jpg

The flightsuit top pattern was blocked out by referencing the Kwik Sew pattern #4032 in a cotton/elastic medium weight suiting. The vest is inspired by Bo Katan's in both pattern/cut and used stretch pleather/vinyl fabric. The waist belt is in progress.

hRIbdpo.jpg

Sleeve cuff details

uiRaXpo.jpg

This is a balaclava I previously constructed, my plan is to sew and integrate a fabric mask into this piece to stay compliant with Covid-19 precautions.

YQI9HeC.jpg

Helmet progress! 3D model by my husband and I, printed and coated in urethane primer. Since this photo was snapped, we have attached the ear caps and rear vents on the helmet.

All armor pieces are in stages of being printed or primed, soft parts are in various stages of construction.

Everything is cruising along. Finishing up basic soft part elements such as the flightsuit, gloves, vest, etc.

QDfZ8pN.gif

Material is calfskin, got extremely lucky with this material color.

HkwStjH.jpg

Helmet is almost ready for paint! Extremely happy how the design came out.

Starting priming and painting activities tomorrow.

Things are moving quickly for what I assume will be the first version of this kit.

jykQanT.jpg

Pile of armor! This batch has the 3rd layer of paint applied with liquid latex for damage/weathering.

vhZZR29.jpg

Lots of picking latex and wet sanding to do before the next layer of paint.

lhrIatF.jpg

Patterned out a Din style pouch and extended it to fit my massive phone. Not my best work here, but working fast, this will do for now!

Completed the initial version of the costume for Dragon Con.

xODN3YS.jpg

I1a7wvL.gif

I ended up adding a booty cape to balance out the width of the shoulder armor.

I would say I am 99% satisfied with the state of this kit. Overall airbrushing and the tail end of painting the armor was a bit rushed, so that all will get touched up here in the near future. In addition I'll be putting together a sidearm holster and perhaps I'll add a jetpack. Thanks for following along!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back