How can I darken my gauntlets to a darker red?

joe

Active Hunter
Hello everyone...

I'm not very experienced with painting. However, my gauntlet's are a ROTJ red when they need to be a dark SE red. Is there a wash that I can make or purchase that'll allow me to paint over the ROTJ Red and a get a darker red color?

Is it as simple as water and black acrylic paint? I was thinking of trying it, but don't want to ruin the gauntlets since I could always sell them and commission new gauntlet's since they are originally painted by BobaMaker who does great work.

If anyone has tips, advice or a thread they can point me in that covers this topic please let me know since I wasn't able to find much searching on the forum or googling for paint techniques myself.

If youre going with a black wash, i recommend starting with a very diluted wash. Remember you can always darken it more, but not take away.

And another option, you can lightly mist black with an airbrush over them.

Can you post some pictures of the gauntlets? Just curious what we have to work with.

If youre going with a black wash, i recommend starting with a very diluted wash. Remember you can always darken it more, but not take away.

And another option, you can lightly mist black with an airbrush over them.

Can you post some pictures of the gauntlets? Just curious what we have to work with.

Here they are.

They're ROTJ color, but my GML says they need to be darkened to be closer to the CRL visual reference, which is totally cool with me I just don't want to ruin them since I could always sell these and purchase new ones since for ROTJ they look great. I also bought a hacksaw to saw off the hoses on the right gauntlet.

Also I HAVE NO IDEA how to air brush and I'd have to buy one too. I don't even know anyone who airbrushes to help me in person so I don't think that is really an option for me.

left gauntlet.jpg
right gauntlet.jpg

Beautiful set of gauntlets there. If I were you I'd sell them instead of modify them. They're actually ROTJ gauntlets, not SE. The damage doesn't match the gauntlets used for SE. If I were you, I'd put these up for sale and fund a new set. :)

Beautiful set of gauntlets there. If I were you I'd sell them instead of modify them. They're actually ROTJ gauntlets, not SE. The damage doesn't match the gauntlets used for SE. If I were you, I'd put these up for sale and fund a new set. :)

I thought about that, but it'll probably take too long. I think the next time BobaMaker will be able to make gauntlets and deliver them won't be until next year and I really want to try to troop in the winter since where I live is way too hot to troop any other time.

Are you from the UK? Or elsewhere

Nah I live in the west part of the USA. I sweat REALLY easily though. Like 85 degrees fahrenheit or higher makes me sweat and is too hot so summertime when temps feel like 90-110 degrees (with humidity/sun).... ha yeah right am I going to wear the costume. I'll die from heat exhaustion and heat rash hahaha.

There definitely are other options such as Lane creative studios or fett4real 1313 studios , who both live here in the US. Idk their wait time, but they both do fantastic work. Its worth a try!

If you pay for shipping I’ll do it for free.

I can have it finished in a day.

Edit: I should’ve read more, if you want I can paint you up a set of ROtJ and trade you.

Edit 2: did you gml mention that the damage doesn’t line up? Cause if they’re just worried about the red I can darken them and send them back to you ezpz, just pay shippjng

There definitely are other options such as Lane creative studios or fett4real 1313 studios , who both live here in the US. Idk their wait time, but they both do fantastic work. Its worth a try!

Appreciate the recommendations. I think it will end up costing me about the same as just waiting for BobaMaker if I commission some new gauntlets from him and will also involve some sort of wait period. I'll probably just try painting it myself.

Edit: I should’ve read more, if you want I can paint you up a set of ROtJ and trade you.

Edit 2: did you gml mention that the damage doesn’t line up? Cause if they’re just worried about the red I can darken them and send them back to you ezpz, just pay shippjng

I think I'm going to go to Walmart today and grab some acrylic paint and test it on the inside of the gauntlet since there is some airbrush red paint that is inside the gauntlet. If for some reason it turns out horribly I might just do that.

My GML was mainly worried about the red and said reference the visual reference since the gauntlets on the CRL are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY darker and obviously don't have 3 hoses. I don't think he'll make my repaint the silver parts, but to be honest the CRL visual reference gauntlets just have a buttload more of silver weathering paint, which in my opinion is pretty easy to just dab on with a brush and acrylic silver. That type of paint work doesn't seem that hard to me since I've painted Warhammer 40k miniatures back in the day by hand.

Actually nevermind. The GML didn't fully articulate it. I'm I'll have to fix the weathering as well so it's pointless to try and darken these and ruin a perfectly good set of ROTJ gauntlets.

Not sure what your GML is talking about. The red is fine for Basic, as i mentioned before, its just the ROTJ damage on the right gauntlet, the two extra hoses and the incorrect toggle switches. Now that you have posted in our pre-approval program at the BHG, we'll get your sorted for approval.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back