Help: Paint Chips on chest

Deriak

Hunter
So am almost finished with my chest. Just waiting on the decals to arrive so I can do some weathering. I have forgot to do something that may have screwed me up.

Basically I sprayed the final green humbrol no.117 before applying the lighter green humbrol no.78 on the areas where it appears that it chipping. So I tried to paint over the 117 with 78 but it isn't showing up light enough. So I tried a bit more duller color no.76 I had laying around. Still didn't look right. I even went a bit more lighter with a no.150 and still doesn't look right. My only other options are to keep it like it is and later on do another chest piece that is more accurate while I troop in this one, or sand this back down and redo?

Are there any other option colors I haven't done yet to try? Mixing something maybe?

Ab plate 1.jpg
Chest 1.jpg

Not sure f this would work. I am just spit balling here. Maybe mask off the negative area(meaning the part that isn't the light green) and spray it white or a light grey and then after it dries spray down the light green over top of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Furious probably nailed your solution, assuming you don't care that the chips are raised opposite of how they're supposed to be. Stencil them on and liquid mask the outside edges, then make sure the rest of the plate is covered. I would think you could skip the white, and just do several coats of the light green, but if not I would use a light gray primer before the green. You could also hand-brush the green, and only thin it enough not to leave brush marks, but thick enough to retain it's color.

yea i agree. Id "reverse mask it" by masking around where the damage should be and cover the rest of the plate. then hit it with the 78. if its not showing enough, you could add a touch of white to the 78 to lighten it up a little bit. If you are applying with an airbrush, the coat should be thin enough that you wont be able to tell is topically applied.

I tried to use the reverse masking.. It was not happening. It was not because it wasn't doable, it was extremely difficult to stencil in accurately. There is a lot of "chipping" in certain area's, esp the ab plate, that I couldn't get the masking fluid to do what I wanted. I believe it was mainly the texture of the last green coat. I may have laid that on pretty thick. I went ahead and used the thinnest paint brush I had and a toothpick. Unfortunately the ab plate and right chest plate isn't accurate. I did the best I could. I thinned out the paint as much as I could to keep it looking "deep" and thick enough so it wouldn't run. I made it too thin at first and it was too runny.

I know it isn't the best and will not meet many of you guys' approval. I just wanted to share my experience. Future Fett will look better. I promise. This was a good training for preparing myself for the helmet.

Chest 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It is hard to see the details in this picture. Sorry

Dang...wish I would have seen this thread sooner.
When I did my chest armor I painted those lighter chips topically with Testors model master panzer olive green. It gave good coverage and had a nice contrast with the darker green.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back