helmet vs helmet

Question for you helmet guys; A helmet made by Boba Maker vs a sgt fang helmet. Pros & cons of these two helmets. Any post would be helpful.
Not trying to disrespect either, so please pm if needed...
Thanks....

Well, I only have direct experience with the Sgt. Fang helmet, so I can't comment on specific differences between the two, however, the Sarge helmet is resin, so it's lightweight. The BM is fiberglass, so it would be a bit more substantial. (I've worked with other fiberglass helmets.) The Sarge comes in 'kit' form, which requires some basic modeling/prep skills. There are tons of threads describing what goes into prepping this one. The BM comes trimmed/prepped and with a coat of primer on it. Another big factor to consider is $$$. You can PM either manufacturer to get their prices.

I've done a Sgt. Fang Boba helmet, and I've also worked on armor parts from BM (my personal armor.) Both are great vendors, and I wouldn't hesitate to order from either of them again.

As far as paintjobs go? I'm sure that's true.
I don't think he makes 2 different helmets though. (I could be mistaken!! Please ask him :))

Well...the main difference between the two is that I own a Sgt. Fang and not a BM.

And now you know the rest of the story.

All kidding aside...the Fang is a lot more affordable, but can look like a very daunting task when compared to the ready out of the box "just add paint" BM.

I personally think that both of them look great when finished.

BobaMaker's helmet is ready to paint when it comes straight out of the box, it's perfect, I love it. Now when people say it is "ESB Style," What they mean is it has the wavy brow and has the flared shape of the ESB. I'm an ESB Fett so it works perfect for me, I have his helmet and I love it. The helmet is crisp, detail is great, it's an all around solid helmet. The only downpoint to the helmet I believe is the weight, it isn't heavy, but definately heavier than the SgtFang bucket.

SgtFang helmets are mediocre when they get to your door. They require a lot of cleanup and some flaws just can't be cleaned up at all. Such as the "lump" on the right side of the helmet's dome. It can be removed in theory, but I never thought to sand it down that much in fear that the resin would become so thin it would break to the touch or just create a hole anyway. This error isn't huge, but I don't like it. The helmet has also been recasted so many times a lot of detail has been lost, especially in the dent. The one think I really liked about the helmet was its weight, I'm not sure what kind of resin SgtFang uses, but I want the recipe.

Your budget should really define what helmet you get. If you can buy a BobaMaker, I say go for it. However, if you have a BobaMaker budget, it doesn't mean you have to buy from him. SgtFang still makes a good bucket that can be used by most everyone. Size-wise, the helmets I believe are just about the same.

The terminal fettler helmet is just as good if not better than the BM helmet.
The "if not" means that I think it's better but others may not. not trying to start a war or anything.

The terminal fettler helmet is just as good if not better than the BM helmet.
The "if not" means that I think it's better but others may not. not trying to start a war or anything.
Seeing it in person looked really cool, but he makes them extremely thin, about 1/3rd as thick as the BobaMaker. I honestly wouldn't feel safe with it :-\ I also believe that the BM had a better shape than the TF helmet. I do believe the RF setup for TF is much better than the BM kit.

For future reference, You're not supposed to post peoples websites. if you need to tell someone it should be done via PM. As for sarge, he works by the PM's

I little birdy told me a New fan made helmet will be available soon;)....FP??:eek:....

YES that same bird landed in my backyard today

Man if I needed a helmet I would wait to buy it for a few weeks!!!!!

I feel a great disturbance in the force....we have a new HELMET Coming..............

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back