Helmet kit

It also looks to me like the hose on the helmet is the same as the hose coming off the vest/armor? If not it's dang similar...

The three little greeblie pieces off the helmet are also rounded not just flat like we have them on our helmets... *I was there... I saw this thing and didn't notice it!!! :angry *

those are all very good observations, but IMO, the helmet we got is pretty dang close and I dont forsee changing anything anytime soon...I like the ears being on in a secure fashion...I wouldnt want them flopping around...I may be interested in holoowing them out some so there is room for Jamie's ears inside...rather than squishing them against it...would make them real brittle though...would be nice to have some made from abs...that would be a nice upgrade for this helmet i think...

Oh I agree the helmet is pretty dang close... Closer than I could ever get if I tried to make one! I'm pretty happy with mine... :D

The hose I might replace with the hose I use for the front armor... It also looks more round than what I have with my original DCB helmet, which was cut in half lengthwise.

The little greeblies are also pretty easy to replace *heck I lost one anyway* so why not round them up a bit eh?

Other than that - it would require a whole re-do of the helmet and molds...

You could just make your own ears and attach em to this - thats what i think i will do i really think they are a lot more dome shaped

I can really see how it could be construed that the helmet is totally seperate from the ear pieces...if you could find a way to make the binocs be more "springy" like a set of head phones and make them two seperate parts that would be cool and make for a much more comfortable setup...put the helmet on...then slap the headphones on..:lol: maybe some sort of magnetic attachment to the side of the helmet even

let me know how that works out for you becky...jamie and i may be interested in your upgrade as it seems you and jamie both had to really work on getting the helmet to fit...

those are all very good observations, but IMO, the helmet we got is pretty dang close

Oh, I agree! That's why I say only if I feel really ambitious would I even attempt to make my own ear pieces. These are so darn close, I would only attempt to make new ears for a fun modification and to take a stab at doing a little sculpting (I may suck at it and have to scrap it). I also agree that with the armature for the binoculars, they need something fairly solid to anchor on to.

When I bought the molds Dallas mentioned I should redo the ears. Now you guys are making me wish I would have ;) They are one of the small details on our suit that bug me.

I still think they're made of fiberglass, just deeper. It would be impossible to capture the details with a vac-formed piece. If I wasn't so busy I'd go make them right now and just give you guys replacements but at the moment I don't have any extra time :facepalm

yes cal...finish the gauntlets first...LOL

but i wouldnt be totally objected to getting a christmas gift in the mail down the road...hehe:cheers

If I wasn't so busy I'd go make them right now and just give you guys replacements but at the moment I don't have any extra time :facepalm

No no no! You have done so much fantastic work on this costume already. The ear pieces are really a minor nit pick. Please don't think you have to redo them. I only started to notice the slight differences when I was trying to figure out how to attach my ears in a somewhat screen accurate way.

Yeah, the more I looked at the ear details and the hint of the thickness of the inner edge I realized it probably couldn't at all be Vacuformed. Even if it is fiberglassed, I think there is a small amount of empty space inside that allows for the lining.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back