Good mannequin to handle Boba's Jetpack weight?

joe

Active Hunter
I know someone on here posted a mannequin that had Boba's jetpack on it and said it was really sturdy.

I cannot for the life of me find that post or thread since I know I posted on the thread asking about it and was given a link to eBay. I've lost it now.

Does anyone have a link to a mannequin that can handle a 10-15lb jetpack of Boba to display the full costume? I bought one that is plastic that attaches at the foot and it's good enough for the entire costume, except for the jetpack it tries to fall back and over.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a link or a suggestion of the mannequin they used!

Some suggestions:

1) BUY FIBERGLASS. Fiberglass is a pretty strong material and a fiberglass mannequin will be able to handle the actual weight of the jetpack and armor.
2) Make sure the base is solid so the metal attachment is secure.
3) I and Ord Mantell both filled our fiberglass mannequins with expanding foam. I had to remove some of the back so the harness would sit flush so the foam allowed the body to have some extra strength for my needs.

Here's my mannequin along with the modification I did with the arm: BudaFett's ESB Fett WIP

Some suggestions:

1) BUY FIBERGLASS. Fiberglass is a pretty strong material and a fiberglass mannequin will be able to handle the actual weight of the jetpack and armor.
2) Make sure the base is solid so the metal attachment is secure.
3) I and Ord Mantell both filled our fiberglass mannequins with expanding foam. I had to remove some of the back so the harness would sit flush so the foam allowed the body to have some extra strength for my needs.

Here's my mannequin along with the modification I did with the arm: BudaFett's ESB Fett WIP

Interesting, so there isn't a solution without heavy modification?

I was hoping there was something I could buy off the shelf. Maybe it was on Ord Mantell's old thread... I can't find my post in my post history since I can't remember who had an awesome mannequin.

Interesting, so there isn't a solution without heavy modification?

I was hoping there was something I could buy off the shelf. Maybe it was on Ord Mantell's old thread... I can't find my post in my post history since I can't remember who had an awesome mannequin.
Contact Tom Spina and have it built for you.... other then that its going to take work on your part.

Oh I did find it now from Ord Mantell's old thread. Combed through it to find my post.

not off-topic at all. the mannequin on the first page... there are two different ones there actually. Both are capable of standing without tipping over from the weight of the jetpack. One is basically this type: ebay link (not my auction) and the other is this: another ebay link

I ended up tossing the first one because, though its posable, the joints break easily. I had both hips break on it so it's basically garbage now. I don't recommend it.

Most fiberglass mannequins are the same height and pose. I would check locally on craigslist and Facebook marketplace. I bought mine over 7 years ago now on ebay.

Modification isn't difficult. The arm pose modification was achieved with a fiberglass repair kit and a dremel cut. The expanding foam was super easy as well.

You could maybe save money and salvage your current manny if you just counter balance the weight by filling the feet and shins with plaster of paris or something similar with some heft to it. Or lead pellets. Or both? Worth a try if you're otherwise satisfied with the plastic manny. Though, you would risk making the manny unsellable if it doesn't work. Something to consider. BudaFett is right though, if you go with fiberglass you will likely need to do some cutting and filling to make the harness and jetpack have a natural fit without bulging the backplate. The fiberglass has zero give. Spina would do a fantastic job for sure, but I shudder to think what the cost would be.

You could maybe save money and salvage your current manny if you just counter balance the weight by filling the feet and shins with plaster of paris or something similar with some heft to it. Or lead pellets. Worth a try if you're otherwise satisfied with the plastic manny. Though, you would risk making the manny unsellable if it doesn't work. Something to consider. BudaFett is right though, if you go with fiberglass you will likely need to do some cutting and filling to make the harness and jetpack have a natural fit without bulging the backplate. The fiberglass has zero give. Spina would do a fantastic job for sure, but I shudder to think what the cost would be.
It may not be worth it if it's a ton of money. I have my Boba except the jetpack and he still looks cool on the plastic mannequin.

The jetpack would just be a cherry on top. I don't really have anywhere to work with fiberglass or anything super messy since I don't have a garage.

I guess I'll just wait and one day maybe I'll create a mannequin that can handle it. I just was wondering since I've been looking to buy a new mannequin to display my Mando costume so I wanted to see the options before I pull the trigger on a $200-$300 mannequin.

I've had my ESB Fett fully decked out including the jetpack on THIS mannequin. No problems whatsoever, the balance is great. My only complaint is the legs are slightly longer than they need to be, but you just drop the cod piece down a bit and no one will ever know. I did get a spare cheap flight suit to use on it because the hole for the support post goes into the lower back.

I’m sure you’ve already figured out your mannequin situation but I had really great results with this one:

9E0FECB5-9396-4A50-9F46-7A8FBD6ADE14.jpeg

I still haven’t actually.

This supports the jetpack? Where does the metal attach? Above the heel?
Yup. Supports the weight of the jet pack no problem. The metal attaches at the bottom of the calf. The pant leg flares out a little bit but it’s not too noticeable.

Here’s a pic I took when I was testing out the jet pack. I didn’t mod the mannequin at all.

2F7BAE53-A48C-452D-935B-E420CCE8539C.jpeg

Yup. Supports the weight of the jet pack no problem. The metal attaches at the bottom of the calf. The pant leg flares out a little bit but it’s not too noticeable.

Here’s a pic I took when I was testing out the jet pack. I didn’t mod the mannequin at all.

View attachment 225890
Brilliant!

Is this a BobaMaker pack? The one I got from him is pretty thick resin wise.

I’m sure you’ve already figured out your mannequin situation but I had really great results with this one:

View attachment 225889
Somewhere on here on on bobabuilders, someone used flexible tripod legs to replace the fingers on the hands of a mannequin like this with fantastic, blaster gripping results. I can't find that thread off hand, but I'm about to try it myself with a couple of my mannequin hands using the tripods in the links below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V4XYHR5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am displaying my costume on mannequin legs I bought used and put a torso with jointed arms and hands (yes, fingers are jointed as well) onto the legs. Both are mainly made of fiberglass, the arms and hands are wood (like those jointed paint figurines). You can take everything quite easily apart, to it is not too much of a hassle to put the costume on. As I am doing a post-Sarlacc Boba, I had to construct a support rod to hold the whole thing safely, as there was no way to use the calf rod. As this version wears tightly fitted half chaps, I would have had to cut a whole, which is not an option.
I had to mod the legs, because the stance was not very flattering for Boba. A slight disadvantage is that he is a bit tall (1,80 m). But that is fine, as myself I am 1,76m.

If you get a mannequin that has a heel support, it comes with a six inch rod that goes into the foot and holds the mannequin very securely. I have built custom stands for mine and replaced with a 12 inch threaded rod that goes all the way into a 2X6 with the remaining going into the heel. Downside is you do have to drill a 1/2 inch hole in whatever boots you are using. I've done it to both the standard Fett boots and the Nordic boots used for Mando Fett. What I like about the custom stand is that the rod goes deeper into the heel and the weight of the stand eliminates any risk of Boba tumbling because of the weight of the jetpack.

Somewhere on here on on bobabuilders, someone used flexible tripod legs to replace the fingers on the hands of a mannequin like this with fantastic, blaster gripping results. I can't find that thread off hand, but I'm about to try it myself with a couple of my mannequin hands using the tripods in the links below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V4XYHR5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah I recall seeing that somewhere. Thanks for the link. I’m thinking about doing this to get a better pose.

Update: I was finally able to position the arms in such a way that it can finally hold the blaster. I’ll still probably end up modding the hands, but I’ll probably only have to do it to the right hand.

2FEAB13A-5008-48B8-A54C-D62BB705B1A6.jpeg

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back