Good mannequin to handle Boba's Jetpack weight?

joe

Hunter
I know someone on here posted a mannequin that had Boba's jetpack on it and said it was really sturdy.

I cannot for the life of me find that post or thread since I know I posted on the thread asking about it and was given a link to eBay. I've lost it now.

Does anyone have a link to a mannequin that can handle a 10-15lb jetpack of Boba to display the full costume? I bought one that is plastic that attaches at the foot and it's good enough for the entire costume, except for the jetpack it tries to fall back and over.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a link or a suggestion of the mannequin they used!

BudaFett

Hi I’m Bobert!
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Some suggestions:

1) BUY FIBERGLASS. Fiberglass is a pretty strong material and a fiberglass mannequin will be able to handle the actual weight of the jetpack and armor.
2) Make sure the base is solid so the metal attachment is secure.
3) I and Ord Mantell both filled our fiberglass mannequins with expanding foam. I had to remove some of the back so the harness would sit flush so the foam allowed the body to have some extra strength for my needs.

Here's my mannequin along with the modification I did with the arm: BudaFett's ESB Fett WIP

joe

Hunter
Some suggestions:

1) BUY FIBERGLASS. Fiberglass is a pretty strong material and a fiberglass mannequin will be able to handle the actual weight of the jetpack and armor.
2) Make sure the base is solid so the metal attachment is secure.
3) I and Ord Mantell both filled our fiberglass mannequins with expanding foam. I had to remove some of the back so the harness would sit flush so the foam allowed the body to have some extra strength for my needs.

Here's my mannequin along with the modification I did with the arm: BudaFett's ESB Fett WIP

Interesting, so there isn't a solution without heavy modification?

I was hoping there was something I could buy off the shelf. Maybe it was on Ord Mantell's old thread... I can't find my post in my post history since I can't remember who had an awesome mannequin.

Fett 4 Real

Sr Hunter
Interesting, so there isn't a solution without heavy modification?

I was hoping there was something I could buy off the shelf. Maybe it was on Ord Mantell's old thread... I can't find my post in my post history since I can't remember who had an awesome mannequin.
Contact Tom Spina and have it built for you.... other then that its going to take work on your part.

joe

Hunter
Oh I did find it now from Ord Mantell's old thread. Combed through it to find my post.

not off-topic at all. the mannequin on the first page... there are two different ones there actually. Both are capable of standing without tipping over from the weight of the jetpack. One is basically this type: ebay link (not my auction) and the other is this: another ebay link

I ended up tossing the first one because, though its posable, the joints break easily. I had both hips break on it so it's basically garbage now. I don't recommend it.

BudaFett

Hi I’m Bobert!
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Most fiberglass mannequins are the same height and pose. I would check locally on craigslist and Facebook marketplace. I bought mine over 7 years ago now on ebay.

Modification isn't difficult. The arm pose modification was achieved with a fiberglass repair kit and a dremel cut. The expanding foam was super easy as well.

Ord Mantell

Active Hunter
You could maybe save money and salvage your current manny if you just counter balance the weight by filling the feet and shins with plaster of paris or something similar with some heft to it. Or lead pellets. Or both? Worth a try if you're otherwise satisfied with the plastic manny. Though, you would risk making the manny unsellable if it doesn't work. Something to consider. BudaFett is right though, if you go with fiberglass you will likely need to do some cutting and filling to make the harness and jetpack have a natural fit without bulging the backplate. The fiberglass has zero give. Spina would do a fantastic job for sure, but I shudder to think what the cost would be.

joe

Hunter
You could maybe save money and salvage your current manny if you just counter balance the weight by filling the feet and shins with plaster of paris or something similar with some heft to it. Or lead pellets. Worth a try if you're otherwise satisfied with the plastic manny. Though, you would risk making the manny unsellable if it doesn't work. Something to consider. BudaFett is right though, if you go with fiberglass you will likely need to do some cutting and filling to make the harness and jetpack have a natural fit without bulging the backplate. The fiberglass has zero give. Spina would do a fantastic job for sure, but I shudder to think what the cost would be.
It may not be worth it if it's a ton of money. I have my Boba except the jetpack and he still looks cool on the plastic mannequin.

The jetpack would just be a cherry on top. I don't really have anywhere to work with fiberglass or anything super messy since I don't have a garage.

I guess I'll just wait and one day maybe I'll create a mannequin that can handle it. I just was wondering since I've been looking to buy a new mannequin to display my Mando costume so I wanted to see the options before I pull the trigger on a $200-$300 mannequin.

Scimitar

Hunter
I've had my ESB Fett fully decked out including the jetpack on THIS mannequin. No problems whatsoever, the balance is great. My only complaint is the legs are slightly longer than they need to be, but you just drop the cod piece down a bit and no one will ever know. I did get a spare cheap flight suit to use on it because the hole for the support post goes into the lower back.