Girth Belt???

Lazerjock & Boochman
I know you guys are following my WIP, but not wanting to mess with dyeing a girthbelt, that was one of the reasons why I went with MoW's ESB Girthbelt....His ROTJ offering was too "Hot Rod Red" for me. When you do a stare and compare they look almost spot on.
Boba Fett - Girth Belt Comparison.jpg

-Iron

Lazerjock & Boochman
I know you guys are following my WIP, but not wanting to mess with dyeing a girthbelt, that was one of the reasons why I went with MoW's ESB Girthbelt....His ROTJ offering was too "Hot Rod Red" for me. When you do a stare and compare they look almost spot on.
View attachment 194837

-Iron
I agree his ROTJ belt seems too red in the picture, but I wonder if it's just the picture. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in on the actual color.
When I was comparing my dye job to the 501st I printed out a picture on my laser printer of the 501st belt to hold next to mine. The colors were close but not as close as when I held my belt next to my computer monitor. I have to trust the monitor since I don't have anything else to compare to.
Let us know what it looks like when you receive it.

Lazerjock - You had said.....

I wasn't sure if that line of inquiry was directed at me, but the pic of my MoW ESB Belt is on my WIP post. (y) ;) Here is that Picture though....
View attachment 194847

I may have to dull it out a bit, but the color I think it about correct.

-Iron

Iron,
Yes it was directed at you. I've been following multiple build threads and must have lot track. Sorry.
Once you dull it down you mat want to dust it with some red. To me it seems a little too brown, Just my opinion. I know you're not going for 501st though so do what looks good to you.

Irongladiator i remember reading about your belt color dilemma in your WIP. To me it makes sense to have purchased the ESB (technically), as it looks a lot closer to the ROTJ CRL color.

I’m planning to dye my own as well Lazerjock , but my Lowe’s didn’t carry that specific Minwax color - did you have to get a base dyed at the desk or something?

Also, I see what your saying about having to trust the screen cause that’s the best you got, BUT it’s not always accurate. Next time I’m at the office I will look for our Pantone color samples and see how it looks next to it! That won’t be for awhile tho (after the house move).

I’m planning to dye my own as well Lazerjock , but my Lowe’s didn’t carry that specific Minwax color - did you have to get a base dyed at the desk or something?

Boochman yes, go to Lowes and get Minwax water based wood stain. They sell clear & white. I chose clear. Try to get the sample size. They were out when I went, so I had to buy a quart. A quart is about $13.
Take it to the desk and tell them you want Minwax color #13 Portsmouth Spice. I had told them #13 spice, quoting others, but they must have changed the name adding Portsmouth since that is all they had. I attached a picture of the can and the label showing the exact color mix.

You may want to pick up something to put the stain in. I used a paint roller pan I had already.

Dilute the stain with water 1:1. Wear rubber gloves and soak the girth belt in the stain working it with your hands to make sure it gets to all of the fibers inside too. I then squeezed out the excess and repeated the process again.
Squeeze it out again and hang it somewhere to dry.

Once dry I used a small brass wire wheel in my Dremel to remove the paint from the buckles. If you don't have a Dremel you can actually scrape it off with your finger nail and / or a small flat head screw driver too. Neither method will scratch the buckle the chrome plating is very strong.
I read that someone used Vaseline on the buckles before staining. I was concerned that the Vaseline would get on the fibers and prevent the stain from taking.

I also read that some people had issues with the belt being stiff after drying. My belt didn't have that problem.

I would ship you my leftover stain, but the shipping would cost more than just getting your own.

20200721_073748.jpg

20200721_073804.jpg

Also, I see what your saying about having to trust the screen cause that’s the best you got, BUT it’s not always accurate. Next time I’m at the office I will look for our Pantone color samples and see how it looks next to it! That won’t be for awhile tho (after the house move).

You're right!
You plan to use the same belt and stain I believe. If you have the Pantone sample too, you will be able to compare. I would appreciate that.
No rush at all! I know moving is a pain, but worth it in the end. Congratulations on the house purchase.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back