Get rid of smell in DP 95

Icedevil

Active Hunter
So I bought a DP 95 white interior on ebay. It looks really good, good shape and everything, but... The smell is just horrible! I washed it a few times now with Dawn Dishwashing soap and the smell has died down a bit from when it first arrived but it is still lingering on and around the helmet. It smells a bit like aging vinyl which it probably is. Does anyone have any ideas on how to completely get rid of this smell? Maybe I could coat the inside with something lemon scented? Any help would be appreciated.
Here's some pics of the helmet http://community.webshots.com/album/444335420kRtRPu

webchief

Well-Known Hunter
Wow! That's one of the nicest Don Post buckets I've seen! Great score!

I wish I could help you with getting rid of the smell but I have no ideas. Stick an air freshener in it? :lol:

I would think that if you used some sort of cleaner it would just end up smelling like the cleaner instead of the vinyl smell.

jodo

Well-Known Hunter
Ok, take you helmet, and get a paper bad, throw some ARM and HAMER in the bag, and then open the small box of A&H, set in the sack, where when you put the helmet in the bag, the helmet will be a "shell" over the box of A&H. (You may also add 2 pr 3 newspaper pages for extra absortion.)C lose the bag and leave set for 3 or so days, the smell will be gone, should be anyway.

X5 Boba Fett

New Hunter
Jun Garros Fett said:
Not sure if it will work. Try some of that fabreeze stuff. (spelling)..
Just a suggestion..

Totally agree with the fabreeze suggestion (y) my 95 also smelt a little strange (must be something to do with the age) and it work with mine.

Icedevil

Active Hunter
So I've been PM'ed by a fellow board member saying that when he visited my photo album and webshots tried to install a trojan virus on his computer. I highly doubt that is the case, but just to be safe, be sure to use a real web browser such as Firefox :) If you're on a Mac or Linux box, please disregard this post ;)

Icedevil

Active Hunter
Anyways about my helmet, I have it sitting with some baking soda now. I plan to leave it that way for a couple days. I can smell it less now, but that's probably just because I'm coming down with a cold. At least I don't have to smell it anymore(y)

BobaN00b

Active Hunter
Here's how I got the smell out of mine. I febreezed it. A lot. When it was dry, i hit the inside with a clear gloss. Locked the febreeze smell in. No more stinky fett.

Icedevil

Active Hunter
hansoloway: Oh yeah, I'm sure that's much better ;)

BobaN00b: That's a great idea! I'm going to head to the store to get some febreeze later today.