Found Scope...not ASI ?


bobamaker

Active Hunter
I'm pretty excited, I've just bought this 4x20 scope on eBay from a guy in the UK. It was badly listed and had no real details. It looked pretty damn close to the ASI 4x20 so I bought it.

In the official scope thread it's been pretty much decided that the ASI 4x20 scope is the real deal, to which I agree. But my question is "is this scope an ASI but under a different name, or maybe manufactured in a different country?" The name on the actual scope is "original"

I've added a picture to Brak's comparrison shot.
TOP: Boba's
MIDDLE: Brak's ASI
BOTTOM: Mine

The only thing missing from mine are the two adjustment screw caps, I'm sure I can pick up a couple of these.

ZZZ_scope_compare.jpg

ZZZ_scope_name.jpg
 

Prymer13

Well-Known Hunter
great find! could you PM me any info on this...I am working up a scratch-built and I desperately need a scope to go with it....
 

wizardofflight

Well-Known Hunter
I have studied and analyzed a lot of scope pictures while doing my blueprints and that is as close as you can get with out having the real deal. The rings look prefect. Great find!! Any idea who the manufacture is?

The only major difference that I can see is the attachment screw for the adjustment knobs is in a slightly different location, but if anyone gets that close you can smack them on the head with the barrel.

Cool find!!
Alan
 

Prymer13

Well-Known Hunter
I noticed that too....if you can send me any dimensioned info, I'd appreciate it...
GREAT FIND...not doubt!
 

Got Maul

Well-Known Hunter
oh, so you won that one :) I left that one alone. Great scope all together and a really great price !! The knob was off on it and if you look at the screw its a hair off too close the adjustment knob. But it is without a doubt the closest non ASI I have ever seen.

You know, there are a lot of scopes with the right canonical knob, if you bought one of those, I am sure you could just do a real quick switcher-oo and you would have a perfect scope.
 

bobamaker

Active Hunter
wizardofflight said:
I have studied and analyzed a lot of scope pictures while doing my blueprints and that is as close as you can get with out having the real deal. The rings look prefect. Great find!! Any idea who the manufacture is?

The only major difference that I can see is the attachment screw for the adjustment knobs is in a slightly different location, but if anyone gets that close you can smack them on the head with the barrel.

Cool find!!
Alan

The only info is printed on the scope (shown on picture). So the manufacturer would appear to be 'Original' whoever that may be:facepalm

I think I'll move the little screw away from the adjustment knob a little, this will look pretty much bang on then.

DAZ
 

bobamaker

Active Hunter
Prymer13 said:
great find! could you PM me any info on this...I am working up a scratch-built and I desperately need a scope to go with it....

No problem, I'll take some measurements tomorrow and post them here.
 

DL44 Blaster

Well-Known Hunter
I have a pic here of a "Nikko Sterling" 4 x 20 scope that also was a dead match for the ASI....I'm assuming by this one you found Bobamaker that some overseas,probably Japanese companies manufactured these scopes and sold them to different company's at the time.

Steve

EDIT:

nikko stirling 4by20 (2).jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kurtyboy

Active Hunter
That Model 7 scope is what was used on the Dr. Evazan blaster and Bowcaster. The only real difference is the shape of the caps. But also notice that the screw is not in the correct position.

On Boba's scope they are cone shaped and on the Nikko Stirlings and Model 7 they are cylindrical and flat on top.

Granted, by swapping the caps you can make the scope look the part but they are not the correct original scope.

Still, that is a great find! I have been searching for those Model 7 scopes for YEARS!!!

DL44 Blaster said:
I have a pic here of a "Nikko Sterling" 4 x 20 scope that also was a dead match for the ASI....I'm assuming by this one you found Bobamaker that some overseas,probably Japanese companies manufactured these scopes and sold them to different company's at the time.

Steve

EDIT:
 

kurtyboy

Active Hunter
Steve, did you switch the caps on your Nikko Stirling? I have never seen them with the cone shaped caps but I have seen dozens with the flat topped caps.

I'm using Nikko Stirlings for my bowcaster.

DL44 Blaster said:
I have a pic here of a "Nikko Sterling" 4 x 20 scope that also was a dead match for the ASI....I'm assuming by this one you found Bobamaker that some overseas,probably Japanese companies manufactured these scopes and sold them to different company's at the time.

Steve

EDIT:
 

DL44 Blaster

Well-Known Hunter
It's actually a pic I remember grabbing off the RPF years ago....just one of my ref. pics:eek: I try not to keep an inventory of parts unless it's for a current project....I used to though...when I had $$$$$$

Steve
 

Dark Amon

Active Hunter
i found a scope decathlon and for a small price i have a good boba's scope , it look like your bobamaker but there are small différence (the fixation can change if you want)
hpim13368yb.jpg
 

wizardofflight

Well-Known Hunter
Thanks for the dimensions. I did a comparison of the ‘Original 7’ to the ASI 4 X 20 and they are nearly identical. The biggest difference is with the size and location of the elevation and windage adjustment block. Besides the attachment screw the Original 7’s adjustment block is 3.5mm shorter and located about 9mm further forward on the scope tube.

Looks like I have another scope to add to my drawing collection.

Alan
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top