First Mandolorian build Journey

Sabertooth

New Hunter
Ok so I guess this is going to be the journey of my first ever build to do anything with cosplay, I've always wanted to do a type of mando build since my first con years ago and now that the mandalorian has come out I have a good enough reason.

At the moment I have almost completely finished my first bucket and am just waiting for my visor to get delivered.

All images will be at the bottom of this first post for helmet.

Since I don't have a 3d Printer I went with the traditional method of starting of with pepakura and sticking all those peices together, the unfold that I used was a little bit odd in some places so I had to improvise a little bit but it was the only free file I could find at the time.

The next step was slowly building up the strength with layers of resin and fibreglass, which I probably could have done a better job of but I got there in the end with a few bubbles here and there.

Alright now was the second most time consuming step aside from the first step, so I whipped out my body filler and my filler primer and got to work on filling and shaping, this is when I realised that my helmet was a bit uneven at the back so I tried my best to fill one side out more than the other but I never got it perfect so I just continued, I also encountered a few issues while shaping my earpeices since they were already attached I didn't fill them out properly and accidently poked a few holes discovering some major cavities whilst carving these.

At this point I also realised that my cheek peices were flexing in and still a little flimsy so I I decided to use some rondo to reinforce the cheeks and fill in the cavities in the ear peices, and soon enough I was finished with shaping and ready to paint.

I used a last layer of filler primer and sanded that down with a fine sanding sponge to get a smooth finish and then used a rustoleum flat grey primer, then over that I used a black gloss paint and primer and finished with silver leaf rub n buff which gave a very nice finish.

For weathering I started with a black wash and then continued to add more black and burnt umber in the crevices.

And with that the outside was completed

Now on my journey to find a good solution to pad the inside of my helmet I decided that I didn't want to wait a month for wish or Amazon to ship some helmet padding to me so I went to the local rubber and foam shop and got some memory foam offcuts and then purchased some fabric to line them with.

Now I'm no seamstress so my best idea was to buy some spray adhesive and just glue those together and it's worked out great, with that I velcroed my padding to my helmet and here we are today.

Now I'm not sure if this is how you go about posting on this forum but I guess I'll find out soon enough haha.
20200329_124235.jpg
20200331_174250.jpg
20200401_194002.jpg
20200404_160201.jpg
20200408_094626.jpg
20200413_135538.jpg
20200415_121341.jpg
20200421_131420.jpg
20200421_164754.jpg
20200424_120523.jpg
20200425_091021.jpg
20200425_165400.jpg
20200425_165116.jpg
20200425_165105.jpg
20200425_165056.jpg
20200425_165048.jpg

Just an update on the padding situation on the inside of my helmet considering I didn't post any pics from that, turned out to be much comfier than I expected, I did have a really thick piece of memory foam that I had at the back but that pushed my face way too far forward so I replaced it with some thinner foam.

20200428_170353.jpg
20200428_170410.jpg
20200428_125159.jpg

Ok so I guess this is going to be the journey of my first ever build to do anything with cosplay, I've always wanted to do a type of mando build since my first con years ago and now that the mandalorian has come out I have a good enough reason.

At the moment I have almost completely finished my first bucket and am just waiting for my visor to get delivered.

All images will be at the bottom of this first post for helmet.

Since I don't have a 3d Printer I went with the traditional method of starting of with pepakura and sticking all those peices together, the unfold that I used was a little bit odd in some places so I had to improvise a little bit but it was the only free file I could find at the time.

The next step was slowly building up the strength with layers of resin and fibreglass, which I probably could have done a better job of but I got there in the end with a few bubbles here and there.

Alright now was the second most time consuming step aside from the first step, so I whipped out my body filler and my filler primer and got to work on filling and shaping, this is when I realised that my helmet was a bit uneven at the back so I tried my best to fill one side out more than the other but I never got it perfect so I just continued, I also encountered a few issues while shaping my earpeices since they were already attached I didn't fill them out properly and accidently poked a few holes discovering some major cavities whilst carving these.

At this point I also realised that my cheek peices were flexing in and still a little flimsy so I I decided to use some rondo to reinforce the cheeks and fill in the cavities in the ear peices, and soon enough I was finished with shaping and ready to paint.

I used a last layer of filler primer and sanded that down with a fine sanding sponge to get a smooth finish and then used a rustoleum flat grey primer, then over that I used a black gloss paint and primer and finished with silver leaf rub n buff which gave a very nice finish.

For weathering I started with a black wash and then continued to add more black and burnt umber in the crevices.

And with that the outside was completed

Now on my journey to find a good solution to pad the inside of my helmet I decided that I didn't want to wait a month for wish or Amazon to ship some helmet padding to me so I went to the local rubber and foam shop and got some memory foam offcuts and then purchased some fabric to line them with.

Now I'm no seamstress so my best idea was to buy some spray adhesive and just glue those together and it's worked out great, with that I velcroed my padding to my helmet and here we are today.

Now I'm not sure if this is how you go about posting on this forum but I guess I'll find out soon enough haha.
View attachment 189011View attachment 189012View attachment 189013View attachment 189014View attachment 189016View attachment 189017View attachment 189018View attachment 189019View attachment 189020View attachment 189021View attachment 189022View attachment 189024View attachment 189025View attachment 189026View attachment 189027View attachment 189028
Great job!

So today I started work on my pauldrons and decided to contour with the fibreglass and body filler technique over using EVA foam.

I didn't expect it to be as difficult as it was to find free templates for this armour but I found one for the pauldrons from a YouTube channel called Sionnach Studios and the template can be found In the description of this video:

Now this template is intended for use with EVA foam so I had to do a little tweaking and made it a bit longer to suit my size body
20200429_113652.jpg
20200429_120556.jpg
Now I've done one layer of rondo on the inside of the pauldron and I'll do the rest of the strengthening with fibreglass and resin since I've run out of body filler for the moment.
20200429_130310.jpg

Now to save myself the trouble of having to make two perfectly symmetrical peices I'm going to be making a cast so I can produce as many as I need and if any one else needs a set then I could possibly sell them.

Progress may slow down a bit due to financial reasons but I'll keep posting updates as often as possible.

Stay tuned...

Stared shaping my pauldron today and made a fair amount of progress, it came out a bit asymmetrical after fibreglassing so I had to fill out one side a lot more, lots of progress for today and I'll probably have the basic shape finished tomorrow.

Im still waiting for the visor for my helmet to show up though.
20200503_111041.jpg20200504_113757.jpg20200504_120835.jpg
20200504_170530.jpg

Ok another update on the pauldron, got all the detailing finished today, I've done my final coat of spray putty and after one last sand down I'll be ready to make a mould from this guy
20200509_140739.jpg20200509_152245.jpg
20200509_163103.jpg
20200509_163113.jpg

I might switch my method to use Eva foam for the rest of the hard parts just due to how long this process takes.

Alrighty, just an update after a fairly long hiatus. I decided to buy a 3d printer to assist with making it a little bit easier and cheaper to make the parts for this costume and I've started by redoing the helmet in hopes of making it more accurate and to try a different paint method.

So far after one day I have completely finished printing the ear pieces, I decided to use the files that GreatApeStudioArts sells on his etsy since they are by far the nicest and most accurate models I've seen so far.
20200523_201913.jpg
20200523_123940.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back