Fiberglass lining in gauntlets

Mingram

New Hunter
Hi everyone. I got a set of MOW gauntlets, and I had to heat one up a little with a hair dryer as it was a little misaligned. I've read where some are lining them with fiberglass to help against warping. Has anyone here done this? Does it help? Is it worth the extra effort? I did do a search and didn't see anything. Thank you in advance

If you are just concerned about warping, then lining them with fiberglass will help. If you use piano hinge on both sides like a jango gauntlet, that would also prevent warping. If you decide to heat resin in the future, I would recommend boiling water.

I used a fiberglass repair kit to reinforce my homemade vacuformed gauntlets because the plastic was very thin. Not sure what to say other than it didn’t take much time, and it made them super solid, and a little bit heavier. I used to troop a lot and I never had to worry about them breaking or getting crushed in my storage bin.

Im getting some gauntlets from wasted fett and I’m not sure I’ll bother this time time around because I don’t know that gauntlets are particular prone to warping, and they’ll spend most of their life on a mannequin.

If you are just concerned about warping, then lining them with fiberglass will help. If you use piano hinge on both sides like a jango gauntlet, that would also prevent warping. If you decide to heat resin in the future, I would recommend boiling water.
Thanks. I used a hair dryer because I only wanted to heat a small section. The two halves were just misaligned was all.

I used a fiberglass repair kit to reinforce my homemade vacuformed gauntlets because the plastic was very thin. Not sure what to say other than it didn’t take much time, and it made them super solid, and a little bit heavier. I used to troop a lot and I never had to worry about them breaking or getting crushed in my storage bin.

Im getting some gauntlets from wasted fett and I’m not sure I’ll bother this time time around because I don’t know that gauntlets are particular prone to warping, and they’ll spend most of their life on a mannequin.
That will be mine on a mannequin. Im not in a club, none really close to me. I have a glass kit I may use. It's the nice soft cloth, not the hard fiber crap

Really no need to glass MOW gauntlets. They are pretty sturdy as is, IMO. All MOW gauntlets seem to have the warping issue when you get them. Used heat gun on mine, but hair dryer will work.

Really no need to glass MOW gauntlets. They are pretty sturdy as is, IMO. All MOW gauntlets seem to have the warping issue when you get them. Used heat gun on mine, but hair dryer will work.
Thats what I was wondering. They are pretty thick and solid

I also used MOW gauntlets and have put together other types as well. They all had some alignment issues.
I found that using pairs of ceramic block magnets (my choice are Hillman #542020 found at Lowies) along the inside seam
and offsetting them along that seam depending which way you need to pull the halves together works very well. I use 5 minute epoxy and then fiberglass over them. After that they don't move and act to aline the sides with no problems.Take a look at my thread ,Builders
ESB Build, for some pictures. On each pair I use what I call soft hinges on one side and a total of six pairs of magnets. Do all internal work first
then you can sand the outside seams to a perfect clean match. Also, because of the inside angles the edge of the magnets can be ground down to fit them flush together for good contact. This has worked very well for me.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back