Fettology's ESB Build WIP

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments and feedback.

Just a few small updates. I am calling my EE-3 officially done...for now. Lol :p I got the screws for the scope mounts and rings and used a paper clip to do the wire at the end of the scope ring. I also added a bit more rust and weathering to it to tie it all together. Overall I'm very happy considering it use to once be an ROTJ Blaster. So I'll take it!

IMG_5361.JPG IMG_5363.JPG IMG_5364.JPG

I also updated my MOW gauntlets. I added the 3D printed dental files I got and think they turned out really nicely. I know they may not be the correct numbers but that's ok for me. I also added my 3D printed aluminum gauntlet darts and painted the tips. I hope it's the right color combo. It's hard to tell in the ref photos I have but think it's right. I also painted the tips of my alco switches black and I painted the inside the gauntlet "hose part" white cause I noticed in some photos it was white.

IMG_5365.JPG IMG_5366.JPG

And lastly I have filled in the dent on my backplate since it's not true ESB. I know I got a lot of comments about that so hopefully it's more accurate now than it was before.

IMG_5367.JPG IMG_5368.JPG

As for the rest of the costume o have purchased the chest lights from Fettronics in the Rafalfett sequence. Hopefully that will be in before too long cause I'm excited to get that part done. My soft parts have been ordered and should be arriving hopefully mid July from Arkady. So excited for that as well.

I have the knee armor done with the straps and think I got a good system for those. But I want to test fit them first before posting. I also have my clutch pins coming in so I'll start work on glueing then tonthe armor and getting them ready for my vest. Just a few things left to get and we'll be on our way for a test fit!!! :D

I am getting closer and closer to getting my costume finished!!! I can't wait to complete it and try it on for the first time.

Some updates are I bought all the clutch pins and got them attached to the armor. I used JB Weld to glue the pins to the armor then cut small squares of fabric interfacing (a good thickness) and used JB Weld Kwik to glue those down to double secure the pin backs. I did the same meathod inside my helmet visor for my Chicago screws and it works like a charm.

IMG_5406.JPG

Next I got my Fettronics chest lights in with the Ralaf configuration. I still need to mount them but took a few pics of it just resting in it. I also cut out the light slots in the chest plate and touched up the paint.

IMG_5469.JPG IMG_5470.JPG IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5472.JPG IMG_5474.JPG

And the major project for this week was getting my flightsuit, vest, and pouches weathered as well as finishing my gloves with the tackle twill scraps I received with my soft parts.

I started off by making the templates for the hands and fingers. I then carefully cut them out in the tackle twill. I used my sewing machine to stitch 2 halves together on each part (i.e. the fingers and hands). I then cut the pieces out leaving a good 1/4-1/2" trim all the way around. This keeps the fabric from fraying and the stitches coming out. After that was done I used some medical tweezers to flip them inside out. I ironed them flat and cut small pieces of batting to go inside. I used the tweezers again to fill the batting inside the sleeves. I then hand sewed them shut and ironed them one more time. This gives them a nice puffy look and gives it more depth rather than just a single layer. For the tips of the hands I did the same thing as before but after the batting was in I stitches topical lines on the hands to create the puffy look in the gloves. I then hand stitched the fingers and tops onto my gloves. ***I updated photos of the new stitching and I am 1000% happier with the results. Looks very good in my opinion.

IMG_5442.JPGIMG_5443.JPG IMG_5444.JPG IMG_5446.JPG IMG_5447.JPG IMG_5448.JPG IMG_5449.JPG IMG_5450.JPG IMG_5451.JPG IMG_5452.JPG IMG_5484.JPG IMG_5485.JPG IMG_5488.JPG IMG_5489.JPG

I just now need to distress them lightly and see where it looks from there.

As for my soft parts I'm still working on them and will take some photos soon.

Last edited:
It makes me happy to see more people using this attachment method. Your build is coming along great!

I am getting closer and closer to getting my costume finished!!! I can't wait to complete it and try it on for the first time.

Some updates are I bought all the clutch pins and got them attached to the armor. I used JB Weld to glue the pins to the armor then cut small squares of fabric interfacing (a good thickness) and used JB Weld Kwik to glue those down to double secure the pin backs. I did the same meathod inside my helmet visor for my Chicago screws and it works like a charm.

Thank you guys for all the great comments! I wanted to upgrade a bit and show off my soft parts. I distressed them a bit using a few different techniques. Still need to go in and fine tune some things (i.e. the seams and such to blend in). I may go in and lightly airbrush the vest a bit more to give it some depth but not too much. I also threw on my ammo belt with pouches for a shot but because I didnt wear the girth belt the ammo belt kinda sags a bit. But once it's all on it should be good and sit right.

IMG_5495.JPG IMG_5500.JPG

I also did a quick comparison of my gloves to the screen used ones. I'm pretty happy with them. I distressed them and they are officially checked off my list!

IMG_5508.JPG IMG_5507.JPG IMG_5509.JPG

So I finally got some time to sew button style holes in my vest for my harness and chest lights to go through. I am happy with how it turned out and gotta thank my wife for putting up with me while helping me match up the harness and backplate slots. :lol:

IMG_5564.JPG IMG_5565.JPG

I also got my chest lights installed and came up with a good system....most likely way over engineered. But that's what I do. Haha.

I made a holder out of Minicell or EVA type foam and glued small pieces together to hold it securely. I then took some thick interfacing that I had left over from some projects and used that to create a "box" around my lights that way I could see Velcro onto the tabs. I then placed corresponding Velcro on the armor and installed the tinted acrylic. After it was all done I placed the lights in the correct spot and that was it!

IMG_5519.JPG IMG_5526.JPG IMG_5528.JPG IMG_5529.JPG IMG_5530.JPG IMG_5531.JPG IMG_5534.JPG

I also had my wife help me fit the armor on. After seeing some photos I think I may need to go in and adjust some things around. I used the clutch pin meathod so it should be very easy to do just that! But overall I think it looks decent. I still need to add the shoulder studs to the suit and have marked where my plates sit so I can make sure it's lined up properly.

IMG_5558.JPG IMG_5559.JPG IMG_5560.JPG IMG_5561.JPG IMG_5562.JPG IMG_5563.JPG

I'd love to hear some feedback on anything you guys think would make this suit look better.

Last edited:
I've made some modifications to my suit. After looking that the recent photos of the armor on my vest and studding it next to the screen used suit I found some things I needed to change. One big change being the depth of the armor. Mine looked to have too much depth (about 1/2") when the screen used is very thin looking (guessing about 1/8"). So I took my dremel to the armor and took it all down to about 1/8". After taking a new photo I think it looks way better and closer to the actual suit. Here a few comparison pics of the actual suit vs my suit depth. As well as before and after shots. I also have to say that this armor attachment meathod had been a LIFE SAVER!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've readjusted it to get it just right. And the best part is my vest looks brand new every time. No grommet holes or Velcro problems. I'm truly in love with this meathod!!!!

IMG_5587.JPG IMG_5595.JPG IMG_5594.JPG

I also was able to suit up more this time and got a few shots. I was currently working on the shoulder studs and backplate so I wasn't able to put that all on just yet (see below post). But I was able to get a good few shots of things coming together and am liking the direction it's headed. I need to work on 2 shin tools. My anti-security blade is a little short so it falls into the shin tool pocket. So I'll need to raise it up or make a longer "blade" part so it sits properly. I am also working on my pipe piece or JP adjustment tool if you will do that will be done shortly.

IMG_5609.JPG IMG_5610.JPG IMG_5611.JPG

I also have been working on my shoulder studs. I got aluminum studs a while back and was happy they not only have the threaded port but a hole for a post to sit in to keep them from rotating. So I made a quick aluminum bracket and used a aluminum rivit piece for the "locking stud" part. I drilled 2 holes in the bracket. One for the screw and the other for the rivit. I glued the rivit onto the bracket and now my studs will sit straight and won't rotate (a huge pet peeve of mine lol).

IMG_5608.JPG IMG_5644.JPG IMG_5650.JPG

I decided to update my gauntlets. As much as I like the clip meathod I just wasn't getting a good tight fit no matter what I did. So I decided to research other meathods and decided to go with the traditional Jango meathod and use a piano hinge with a bend end. This way the rod can slide in and out locking the gauntlet into place. Plus it's way easier to get on and off than the clips.

IMG_5641.JPG

I also got my knees almost done. I am not a Velcro fan on a lot of things. It's good for a few applaications but I just haven't had luck in the past. So I went with whopper poppers on my knees to hold them in place. I also have my elastic straps on there and those have Velcro but are mainly esthetic purposes ranther than functionality. But I sewed on the whopper popper onto a piece of thick interfacing and used adhesive to bond the fabric to the knees. I then will sew the corresponding popper onto my jumpsuit and they should snap in place with no problem then the elastic gets velcroed and keeps the pants looking fitted.

IMG_5588.JPG

Thants about it for now. Will keep updating until it's finally finished!

Thank you guys for all the positive comments! So I've been away for a bit but got a few things done. The biggest thing was my Nemrod holster is almost done. I purchased a 3D printed holster from Shapeways which was designed by Toolguy301 and I received it a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I liked was it was very accurate to the screen used model. There a few things missing but overall very nice job. The print quality was top notch and was very happy with the resolution it got. The down side to it was it was extremely thin. Like way too thin for my liking. It would hold its shape but was very flexible. I thought about glassing the inside but didn't want to damage the plastic from the resin. I thought about epoxy but really don't have the money for that at this time. So I came up with a simple solution. I have a lot of extra craft foam. It's light weight and sturdy and I thought it would add just enough strength to the holster. So using that and Barge contact cement I glued in a nice lining. I trimmed it up and painted the holster flat black. I also put in the PVC pipe and covered that as well. My plan in the future is to get the smooth on 3D printing epoxy to fill in the print layers so that it's a nice smooth surface. I didn't want to sand this due to how thin it was so I figure once the epoxy is on I can lightly sand that and paint it.

IMG_5793.JPG IMG_5789.JPG IMG_5791.JPG IMG_5792.JPG IMG_5819.JPG IMG_5802.JPG IMG_5898.JPG IMG_5899.JPG

I also cut my 1" rubber straps and Used cap rivets to attach them. I then attached the belt loop and a snap button. I think it came out well though it's not ribbed like some people's but I'm not too worried. It will do the job and look good.

IMG_5973.JPG IMG_5972.JPG IMG_5974.JPG IMG_5975.JPG

And lastly I attached a piece of leather and Velcro to my ammo belt so that my holster can hang on the inside. I tried attaching it to my JP harness belt but it was too high. So this was a good alternative.

IMG_5977.JPG IMG_5978.JPG

I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll be able to get some completed shots of my costume. The only thing left on my list is the Wookie Braids which I hope to purchase soon.

Well today I was able to get some really awesome photos. A friend of mine helped me get suited up and took some photos on my nice camera. I am going to edit them about and will post them later this week but wanted to share some photos he got on my phone as well.

Overall I'm very happy with my suit. I may need to loose a few LB's cause I'm some of these photos Boba looks live he's been livin the life at the local cantina. :lol::confused:

I think I may also make a few adjustments to the costume. Still need my Wookie Braids and I may look into a size smaller girth belt just cause it is a tad too long. I think your suppose to have 6" of webbing on the back and mine is clearly not that.

But enjoy. I'd love some feedback on anything I can improve on!

IMG_5986.JPGIMG_5987.JPGIMG_5990.JPGIMG_5993.JPGIMG_5995.JPG

The upper part of the girth belt should be hidden under the ammo belt. And maybe you could stuff out the pouches of your flight suit more straight and not so bulky. But this might be only my opinion. Put your wookie braids on and you will have a very nice Fett!!!

How did you get your Fettronics chest lights to stay in position on the chest plate?

I made a box out of foam and put the lights in that then covered the box with fabric that has Velcro attached. Then I place the corresponding Velcro to my chest plate and that's it. If you scroll up a bit I have photos and details on what I did. (y)

The upper part of the girth belt should be hidden under the ammo belt. And maybe you could stuff out the pouches of your flight suit more straight and not so bulky. But this might be only my opinion. Put your wookie braids on and you will have a very nice Fett!!!

And I'll definitely make these changes. Thanks for the feedback!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back