Fettology Aluminum EE-3 Build

Fettology

Hunter
I thought it would be fun to document my EE-3 build and share what I’ve done so far. I got an Aluminum EE-3 kit from Airmarshal for Christmas and I have to say it’s nothing but spectacular!!!! A lot of hard work went into these kits and it truly shows. You can find the info here:
FIELDMARSHAL EE3 ALUMINUM CNC PROJECT

I started off by taking a quick photo of the kit before I quickly assembled it. I couldn’t wait any longer.

29282407-A6EB-4A48-8E6C-434A0AF2B9D5.jpeg

49B9C068-6595-4415-B510-29CD600AE91A.jpeg

AF6FE422-2135-4B6B-BD5F-0FEBC1610930.jpeg

I had printed an MPP flash tube from Rafalfett’s models to do a test fit. And boy did this thing fit like a glove. I plan on smoothing out the print and painting it up as it’s the closest thing I’ll have to a flash tube for now. My first order of business was to sand the stock a little bit and give it some dings and what not to give it character. I used rocks in my flower bed to achieve organic “dings” and dents but made sure to not go overboard. I then used some walnut wood stain to stain the wood and I love the color it came out to be. After the wood dried I sealed it with a layer of wood sealant. I then distressed it a bit with a few washes of black to get into all the dents and dings I put into the stock.
D44A8F3C-FCEC-4D99-8C7A-055B69EA84B9.jpeg

9F4B2436-99DB-4CE8-9EE7-896FFDE9E549.jpeg

I then prepped all the aluminum pieces and painted them using a satin black epoxy paint used in the automotive world. I had done some tests using blueing liquid but didn’t have the results I wanted to try on this project so I went with paint. I didn’t get any shots of the painting process but I made lots of jigs to hold my pieces in the air without touching any areas so I could get full coverage while painting. Once painted I waited a full 24 hrs to let it cure before putting it back together. I used a combination of gun oil and gel WD-40 to lubricate the moving parts as to not scratch the paint over and over.
131BC3EB-6817-4F84-837D-EFCA1410432D.jpeg

A8EFACA8-3FA9-44DF-9CCD-A4D80E2AA515.jpeg

I then gathered all my resin parts I’ve made over the past few days and painted them as well. I’m very happy with them and especially the scope as it looks pretty nice in my opinion.
451EF5AD-39DA-46F9-8B40-49E3D43F19E4.jpeg

I then got to work on the barrel clamps and molex connectors. I dyed the molex connectors black and they turned out very nice. I drilled 2 small holes in each side of the barrel clamps and inserted small pins to support the molex connectors. I drilled corresponding holes in the connectors and glued in the pins to both sides. I’m re-making the clamp top adapter parts as I’m not 100% happy with those. I’ll post photos of the 2.0 versions when they are ready.
2936FDF6-406A-4694-8608-347901EAECB4.jpeg

I then moved along to mounting the greeblies onto the stock and the body. I decided to use 3M mounting tape so that I didn’t have to drill holes into my beautiful new blaster.
125CE9F0-9801-4D3E-9DFA-0BCE167309BE.jpeg

0A3714BC-8313-42AD-8B5B-B781F86CBFA2.jpeg

D8B95B93-3871-440E-A571-1D7513D30E66.jpeg

I lastly added my “O” rings to my rifle and my leather strap. I still have to do some work but I’m super excited to finish this project.

I still need to get screws for my scope, make new mounting blocks, finish my MPP tube, weathering it and putting it all together. All and all I’m so excited to have a nice heavy and sturdy EE-3. It’s way better feeling than my resin copy. Just feels right.

Good work, looking forward to seeing it come together. I’m waiting on a few parts in the mail and I’ll be posting my build as well.

You planning on installing lights/sound? After seeing some amazing builds on here that use the Blaster Core kit, I’m thinking I’ll install one once they’re available again. I’d love to find a way to utilize the functional hammer to trigger blaster fire.

Good work, looking forward to seeing it come together. I’m waiting on a few parts in the mail and I’ll be posting my build as well.

You planning on installing lights/sound? After seeing some amazing builds on here that use the Blaster Core kit, I’m thinking I’ll install one once they’re available again. I’d love to find a way to utilize the functional hammer to trigger blaster fire.
I don’t plan on it as of now however I’ve always loved when people do have them installed. It just adds so much to the blaster. I can’t wait to see your build!

Wow, it looks really, really great. I see you are aiming for the Cloud city hallway - transporting HiC/shooting at Luke setup for your blaster:
ESB EE-3 Blaster Center Greeble Positions.jpg

This version have 4 earth plugs, as this scene was shot first for Boba Fett (read more here ==> The Empire Strikes Back - Boba Fett's on stage chronology.) and in the next 2 scenes filmed (the one on the Executor bridge and the torture chamber to elevator):
ESB EE-3 Inner Stock 01.jpg
ESB EE-3 Inner Stock 02.jpg

In the carbon chamber scene the 4th (inner front) plug is already missing (among other parts too):
ESB EE-3 Inner Stock 05.jpg

Thank you for posting this! I just recently bought a ROTJ EE-3. On cursory examination, I was a bit surprised because it seems the barrel is to be glued in and possibly held with set screws? Based on the pics, I had expected it to be threaded and screwed into the receiver area.

Everything on this kit is threaded including the barrel to the receiver. The flash tube will have to be inserted and attached using the clamps.

I got a little work done today. I got my scope almost finished. And I got my v2 barrel clamp risers made and am very happy with them. The feet of the scope grip it a lot better.
5C1D64C4-F803-431E-A16F-CF0ED7C116C3.jpeg

F8AAB1AD-59EE-4E81-BC06-57CF417428B1.jpeg

I also got my MPP flash tube sanded and ready for automotive clear coat. After that I’ll wetsand it from 800 grit to 3000 grit before adding the chrome. Then I’ll re-clear coat it and wet sand that. Hopefully it will be a nice chrome finish.
6BC5C6CE-08B4-4CA7-8F01-B820746C8DB8.jpeg

And the last thing I got done today was adding some rubber mat to my barrel clamp that way I don’t scratch the paint or metal. This has been glued onto the clamp and gives it a nice non slip surface.
F525A22A-DC48-412B-AA73-06D89959ED59.jpeg

So I got my MPP Tube chromed and ready for weathering. I started off by sanding down my print working my way from 120 grit to 3000 grit. I wet sanded the print from 1200 grit to 3000. After that I cleaned the part with denatured alcohol and sprayed an epoxy black satin over top (the same paint I used on my rifle). Once that sat for 24 hrs I used an automotive clear coat. I use a brand called SprayMax 2k clear. You can get it online and from Amazon for around $30 a can. It’s an excellent option than using an HVLP spray gun. Less mess and clean up. The can works for 48 hrs once you’ve “popped” the bottom so you better have your stuff ready. Lol

A0A6FAEC-BB48-4E35-B2CE-C16020F7A273.jpeg

I then waited a full 24 hrs again and then applied my chrome. I normally use Alclad Chrome paint but they were sold out at my local hobby shop so I tried the AK Chrome Paint and it turned out great. I enjoy the AK metal paints a lot but was happy when I saw the results from the chrome. I again waited a full 24 hrs before touching it and then took a microfiber towel and very lightly buffed it. I did buff the end tip of the tube to make it slightly darker since I will be adding weathering to it but wanted to give the illusion it’s been used prior to all the weathering.
746874D2-08EB-4528-8356-1F07DE589540.jpeg

E894CD45-FC27-47CF-AA93-6E98B0922398.jpeg

6A6A5E59-1993-4842-A074-6F2D53DC7D54.jpeg

my next item of business is to finish my scope, mount that and then weather everything.

So I ordered some more accurate o-rings for my blaster. After seeing the post from Airmarshal of the ring measurements I realized the ones I had were a bit too big. I had rings with an inside diameter (ID) of 3/4” and an outside diameter (OD) of close to 1”.
***Photo taken from Airmarshal’s build post***

9482562D-E895-4C33-B6F4-7048E9562FDF.jpeg

So I started to look for some and came across some interesting info. When looking for 0.75” metal rings I found that for most of them, that was the inside diameter. I wanted the outside diameter to be 3/4”. Not the inside. So I did more research and found that with a 3mm o-ring thickness the ring would be a “common” 5/8” ID and a “common” 3/4” OD. I also wanted to order a ring that wasn’t welded or solid so I found some jump rings used in leather making that would work well.

I ordered these rings from The Buckle Guy. Shipping was fast and easy. I ordered the 3mm x 14mm jump rings (B9350).

B93 Nickel Plate, Jump Ring, Solid Brass-LL

They arrived the other day and seemed to be pretty close in size

51774B79-D03C-4A84-8FF6-38999B355403.jpeg

The OD was 0.77” and the ID was 0.55” which was closer than other rings I was looking at. I needed to paint them black so it was back to my trusty paint I used above on my blaster. I used some wooden craft sticks to hold them while I painted them. I used small clamps to hold the sticks in place. Once painted I waited 24 hrs for the paint to harden up before installing them.

F67D4208-C4D9-455C-9076-8781CB456920.jpeg

I used 2 scrap pieces of leather to clamp in between my pliers and the rings as to not scratch the paint. They bent easily (front to back) and installed super easily. Once I closed them up they rolled around like they were made for this. Made me realize how off my other rings were cause they didn’t move much. I installed the leather strap again and called it done.

84E073C2-FCBB-436D-9844-5063E246C05D.jpeg

Loving the work you're doing!
I've contacted Fieldmarshall about a kit.
Did you source the 3D files for scope mount, greeblies, etc from somewhere. he doesn't have them available on his site yet for ESB build.

I though I could print my own.

Keep up the great job!

Loving the work you're doing!
I've contacted Fieldmarshall about a kit.
Did you source the 3D files for scope mount, greeblies, etc from somewhere. he doesn't have them available on his site yet for ESB build.

I though I could print my own.

Keep up the great job!
They are available on his site, I ordered some of them and the quality is top-notch

They are available on his site, I ordered some of them and the quality is top-notch
Thanks! Saw those but for some reason thought they were for ROTJ build. Guess I’ve been through too many websites researching that I’m starting to lose focus. I messaged him seeing if he’s doing the barrel blast tube extension and scope as well.
You. Guys are great.
Cheers

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back