Ok, so while I've been working on commissions and researching color's and tones for the Empire Strikes Back Boba Fett helmet I've inevitably noticed more and more tiny details that I missed on my personal lid. Since these details can be bothersome I had some free time and reluctantly decided I would experiment on my personal helmet and make some small tweaks.
The first thing that bothered me was the main red for my mandibles and rim. It was just too clean, a little too bright and didn't have the right depth and contrast with the main green. For this adjustment all I needed was some very watered down acrylic mixes for light misting and weathering with an airbrush. This way it adds to the layer that's already there but doesn't replace it. Preparation for this adjustment was exhausting having to mask off everything again that I didn't want effected.
The other thing that bothered me was the main grey on top of the red mandibles and rim. It was just a tiny bit too dark and didn't contrast well with the red. I watered down a much lighter gray but used the same concept as I did for the red on the mandibles, I wanted to add to the layer that was already present but not replace it. This is most difficult when going from darker to lighter shades. Since it was watered down it was a very thin layer of paint and didn't add to the thickness overall but it did lighten it up just enough.
I also added some scratches and dings in the main dent that I had missed which was all topical using the same paint I used when I first painted this helmet a year ago. Yes, I save extra paint mixes I use on projects and label them for the future.
Lastly I installed yet another new Visor. It has a much better curve to it then the previous welding shield I was using. Problem is that it's much darker and harder to see out of. I'm not set on it as it has a faint green tinge to it, so I'm still searching and may change it out later.
I tried to set up better lighting for these new shots to really capture the color and contrast of colors. I only have my iphone as a camera so I know the photo's aren't great.
Below are after I made the adjustments:
Below are before I made these minor adjustments. I know it's super subtle and may seem nit picky but I think it has made a world of difference.
I am very pleased with the results and think I'm better for it. Just thought I would share with the community.
Sir, you are correct! I'm sorry, I used to get both you and sidewinder confused because you both offer similar items and have similar (yet not similar) names. I really need to update my build thread now that so much has changed but I'll fix the error. Thank you for pointing it out and thank you so much for your excellent work and contributions to this community!