Wait zam scout! I shouldn't have quoted so soon about dates, I knew this would happen. Grrr. I just meant that Feb 3rd is an approximate date. I THINK the prototype will arrive then, but don't know. I DON"T want you guys to pay me $200 if something bad happens or, if something happens to the fellowship. I hate to say it, but if someone drops off, then the price will go up. That's why I have been giving $200-$250 estimates all along. I want for those who are queesy about paying up to make a final decision around when I get the prototype, so I can give a final price quote. I thought everyone would be solid in their decision and $ probs by the time I recieve the prototype and post pics of it on the board. If anyone doesn't think that they can make that decision until they recieve a prototype in their hand, that's fine, it would delay the shipment another week and a half to two weeks. But at the same time, I don't think it's fair for people who have been waiting since August to wait another 3 weeks for someone to decide and pay up, further delaying shipment of their material two months out. So, just please have about $200-$250 ready so that when I have the prototype, I can get this order over with...
Thanks, yous guys and gals are the greatest. Some people are confused about seamstress costs and such. I don't need a definate answer on that until after the HUGE order comes in.Thats like over a month away. And, by then you will have had a sample of the prototype to test on in case you want to try sewing it yourself. All is good in the land of Zam.
Edit** Just got a call from the dyeing company, the dyed sample is now being shipped today 1/28/03 to the Neoprene company for lamination for the prototype.
Just letting you all about the disclaimers of the neoprene company. This could mean not EXACTLY six yards per person, if there are defects, but hopefully, everything will be ok.
From the neoprene CO.: You must remember that we do hundreds of yards per day and most runs are of the same foam/fabric combination for large jobs. By running a small job there needs to be a header. Also, do not discount the fact that there is always a
possibility of minor defects in the foam or fabric. Industry standard allows the following:
QUALITY STANDARDS for FABRIC LAMINATES
CONTINUOUS ROLL GOODS:
*50 foot roll laminates or their multiples will be considered first quality
with the below minor defects excepted:
¨ Up to five (5) minor irregular areas in total for two sides per 50 foot
¨ One fabric splice or run out per 50 foot lineal length
¨ Any type of irregularities that lie outside the stated minimum tolerances
for width or length
¨ Defect areas may vary in size, but will be counted as one flag
The one exception is should the defect area create a significant loss of
Example: The defect area is 5% or more of the rolls square footage
¨ Set lines and compressions caused by storage, handling, or shipping are
not classified as defects
unless obvious carelessness or improper procedures are indicated
¨ Irregularities include
q Holes in the rubber
q Rough edge trim
q Adhesive spots
q Fabric wrinkles
q Missing thread ends
q Dye spots
q Dirt, grease, etc.
As you know, we have committed that we will run this order continuous to an
extent. It may get too large to be handled and may need to be run in
Edit** I thought we would be at $200 per person, but because of header material, the price went up a little. Just wanted to let you know that the price range is still between the $200-$250 mark. I am desperately seeing how I can cut costs, I even thought maybe I could ride to the Neoprene company and save on shipping, but that wouldn't work. The quote will definately be after the prototype is done. Thanks for your patience.
Any fabric takers still? I have a slot left on the fellowship list. I thought that there were enuff people, to drive down the cost, but one more person would make the price feel better to the rest of us (The header price is costing more than I thought.) Anyone? anyone? bueller, bueller?
Perhaps you could do a dutch auction over on ebay? Get a set price of $200, let them know what is going on, and maybe we'll get a few more takers?
Or you could go with a safer estimate of $250, or ever $275 and let them know that the final cost may be less. Or don't and just make a little profit for all your hard work!
Too much hassle, cause the price varies and may adjust between now and then. I'll try the RPF. And there are two people that I am going to ask before I take a stab at ebay. I haven't sold anything on ebay as of yet, so I don't have the time to learn their whole "system" right now.
Maybe the Replica Prop Forums? People got $$ to blow there.
Also, I hope these possible defects aren't in the final fabric we get. This would suck for how much it's costing. Also, isn't this material gonna be hot even though it's breathable? That's a big concern and it worries me.
This will be no worse than wearing trooper armor. I have walked on land in a black 3mm wetsuit for 3 or 4 hours strait and nevere got really uncomfortable beyond haveing to use the restroom. The neoprene this will be made of is a lot thinner and more breathable so it will be much more comfortable.
Just realized, I needed to update the width, it should be at 52" going from closed cell to open cell, it changed the width of the fabric.
Edit** I just called the neoprene co again today. Hope that she doesn't totally say no to the whole project... she has been threatening to cut me off. Anycow, I think she will call back today. I had put in a request, hopefully I can minimize cost damages without adding another person on the list. Hopefully she can grant my wish. Shaving off 2' of the neoprene may save everyone money. We'll see.