E-bay Helmet - what do you think

Silverstalker

Active Hunter
$_57.jpg

anyone know of this seller and the quality of these helmets? damn cheep when you consider some sellers want silly money for a helmet when all it really needs is a quality paint job?

Your thoughts..

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts are that it's a waste of £65 and will end up in the bin. Then you'll need to spend more on a decent one. I'm not impressed with the other items either. These items could be made to look good with a lot of hard work and clean up, sanding, filling and alteration.

On another note I'd give serious consideration to whether or not they're a recast of someone else's work. Moral arguments on recasting aside it's simply a fact that the recast is usually inferior to the item it is recast from. The ESB gauntlets scream Bobamaker to me although I haven't given it serious analysis and I have no proof. Just a hunch.

For peace of mind you should buy from a reputable seller on here. It is not really silly money when you think of the time they spend to craft each one individually, plus the quality materials.

Yeah MR = Master Replicas. It doesn't look like it though, the mandibles aren't pinched at all in the pics of the cast. The cast itself is really poorly done, lumps and unevenness is everywhere. You'd be better off scratch building your own for cheaper.

If it's supposed to be a recast of the MR then it's either the shoddiest recast in history or more likely it is a recast of one of the better quality MR recasts (take your pick) but many generations down. I suspect it's at least four generations away from either a production MR or MR prototype and the generational issues are further aggravated by poor recasting skills (that can also be seen in the quality of the gauntlet kits). I think the dent looks particularly poor in terms of sharpness. The dent on the MR itself is very sharp and we'll defined. Again, no proof and it's only my opinion and the provided photo's are not good enough to give a firmer opinion on the matter but I really think this offering is a waste of money. I believe the Animefan offering of the MR premium kit runs to about £100 more than this helmet. Let's say the shipping and customs run to another £40 or £50 so let's say £210 all in which is going to be something like three times the cost (once the shipping for the ebay helmet is added). The question is whether or not you'd be getting three times more helmet? Yes, yes you would. Save yourself £65 by not buying this and having to buy the Animefan (or similar) offering as well later on. I think this is junk.

Well I made my own from the wof templates and it turned out perfect for me. You just see a lot of very bloated prices on some helmets and though maybe this could help some folks out in terms of budget, but agreed it looks like it's melted in places and a bit lumpy...a lot of work needed yes, with a bit of time and dedication, a good paint job it might be alright....

How many times I seen a cast of a cast of a cast of a cast before you end up with just a vague looking ball I I have lost count ha...

Yikes.

The shame of it is that people will buy something like this because it's more expensive than say a rubies or other low budget helmet, and think it's a higher quality. Price does often reflect quality...but the uneducated or first time costumer won't know just how expensive these costumes can get. It's one of the reasons I love resources like TDH and the RPF....if you do your research, you save yourself a lot of money.

I hear that. If it wasn't for TDH I would still be looking at picture of The Fett on Google, but now I am on my way to having one I can wear :D

hi silverstalker, don't know if you know, but the forums rules don't allow for ebay links to auctions that aren't yours. so i'm going to edit the link out of your post. in the future if you have questions about an ebay sale, link one of the photos with whatever your questions are. thanks!

hi silverstalker, don't know if you know, but the forums rules don't allow for ebay links to auctions that aren't yours. so i'm going to edit the link out of your post. in the future if you have questions about an ebay sale, link one of the photos with whatever your questions are. thanks!

Opps sorry about that, still green to TDH I guess.. my apologies

I won't be buying one that's for sure.... I got me a nice WOF Template made one. ;)

I have this helmet i actually know the maker from the UK mando boards, it needs serious work, when i say serious i mean 5 + hours before priming.

For boba fett no chance its way to deformed and of poor quality, for a mando maybe i have been working on mine and it’s been about 3 days of work to get it to where i want it

The mandibles are wonky, the rear back plates are bowed due to poor casting, there are thin spots everywhere, sanding a tiny bit breaks though into the fiberglass, the ear cups are deformed not straight so impossible to fit the ear pieces.

It appears to be a cast of the RS Prop masters Helmet (which was cast from a MR)

I will upload some pictures for you tomorrow

never buy anything from eBay, everything is poor quality and requires a crap load of work

So, it's rubbish then?

I have this helmet i actually know the maker from the UK mando boards, it needs serious work, when i say serious i mean 5 + hours before priming.

For boba fett no chance its way to deformed and of poor quality, for a mando maybe i have been working on mine and it’s been about 3 days of work to get it to where i want it

The mandibles are wonky, the rear back plates are bowed due to poor casting, there are thin spots everywhere, sanding a tiny bit breaks though into the fiberglass, the ear cups are deformed not straight so impossible to fit the ear pieces.

It appears to be a cast of the RS Prop masters Helmet (which was cast from a MR)

I will upload some pictures for you tomorrow

never buy anything from eBay, everything is poor quality and requires a crap load of work

682F7184-E7B1-4833-B86A-2CB0D9938228_zpslivr2l9i.jpg

418DD449-2F71-42FF-A646-8A7902A814BC_zpsnctrveju.jpg

5C91572B-B8A1-4B35-A80F-2F4DFF874094_zpsk2wr9hyl.jpg

This shows how thin the whole thing is and how its been falling apart :
06251B97-8E81-4921-B1E9-9C8CCD56C223_zpszetuu8ax.jpg

Thin spots everywhere:
1428584E-1516-4515-B1EF-0823F4EEB317_zpsbv97fgvn.jpg

About 5 hours worth of work to get it to a primed state :
1E1AA1A7-4B3D-4666-9284-74D491E265D9_zpsqtv6u4ky.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back