DStep’s ROTJ WIP build

Just a small update...finished the knees and gauntlets.
BDC596CF-0240-4AF5-A844-A4C6A9798D1A.jpeg

8C46A48D-D58E-4A3E-BBF4-C932C2D2F63A.jpeg

Started working on the placement of the armor on the flak vest.

Test #1 - Real rough layout to make marks on the vest. Thinking the ab plate needs to be straightened out and raised higher.
5394BE3E-37B2-4F6B-9AE5-B68968E108F9.jpeg

Test #2 - Switched to magnets and adjustments seem better. I need to move the magnets to the ends of the ab plate, so that it sits fully against the vest. Test 3 coming next.
60996BA1-CCA4-4CB5-B77D-1A7647253FD5.jpeg

Any thoughts on moving anything around?

Got help from CadBane on putting the buttonholes on the flak vest...thanks Mike!
1871DD07-E52A-41E6-A1A3-11A9B9465F61.jpeg

Decided to test fit the JP harness with the armor.
7EFF1787-A596-4F3C-82B7-57BA7A3E389C.jpeg

5765EB84-BC40-439E-A12C-BC4440FF2EF3.jpeg

Made some progress on filling the holes in the right gauntlet. Added the primer and will paint them next.
On the left shoulder, I sanded off the black streak and repainted it. Some work will be needed to blend the new and old paint.
Now that I’ve adjusted the armor, I’ll sand the return edges down and mount them with the eyelet method.

Things have been slow lately...waiting on the M5 screws to arrive, for attaching the armor and bleaching the flightsuit to lighten it up.

Finished some small details and fixes.
Added velcro to the knees and ABS plastic to beef up the thin parts.
78E88628-84CB-4497-8441-F92820F5D2B2.jpeg

Took down the return edges on the armor.
9D8BFE99-6611-4A4F-8A6D-BF208A60EAA6.jpeg

Filled the switch holes in the right gauntlet.
BECC45F9-B278-499A-8D9F-2CE27E108600.jpeg

Removed the black streak on the left shoulder.
CE3D489B-09B2-4844-BCC4-3D9DB9AD9084.jpeg

Can’t wait to finish bleaching the flightsuit and begin weathering it!

Thank you! I'm not crafty or a painter, so I'm proof that it can be done with patience lol.

I was planning to buy an airbrush to do the shading, but was able to do it by applying grounded art charcoal with a sponge. The white and black scratches were done with a chalk pencil (?) that I got at a craft store.
I’ve got 2 more questions lol. Do you happen to know which art charcoal you used from what I can tell it comes in several different mediums. Secondly what’d you paint the center of the chest diamond with. I know it had almost more of an off white hue to it.

I’ve got 2 more questions lol. Do you happen to know which art charcoal you used from what I can tell it comes in several different mediums. Secondly what’d you paint the center of the chest diamond with. I know it had almost more of an off white hue to it.

I got this from a local craft store (craft warehouse). I just grounded a stick down to a powder and applied it on with a sponge.
56BAF7AE-4984-41E7-85DC-44850300EDC2.jpeg

I actually haven’t painted that part yet, so it’s still just the white plastic. I was planning to use the same silver as what was used on the first coat of the armor.

I got this from a local craft store (craft warehouse). I just grounded a stick down to a powder and applied it on with a sponge.
View attachment 179507

I actually haven’t painted that part yet, so it’s still just the white plastic. I was planning to use the same silver as what was used on the first coat of the armor.

Ok thanks,I’ll keep an eye out for that charcoal! And that makes total sense now, I was just a little confused for a minute by the chest diamond. Thanks man!! Keep up the great work!

Ok thanks,I’ll keep an eye out for that charcoal! And that makes total sense now, I was just a little confused for a minute by the chest diamond. Thanks man!! Keep up the great work!

If you ask the worker at the craft store, they can point to what works. Alot of the products are similar.

Lol yeah I have some minor work to do on everything...can't say that I've fully finished any one part. Thanks and good luck on your build!

Sounds great I’ll have to go to the craft store soon and I totally understand about it being a constant work in progress. Even if you have all the parts it takes quite a while.
If you ask the worker at the craft store, they can point to what works. Alot of the products are similar.

Lol yeah I have some minor work to do on everything...can't say that I've fully finished any one part. Thanks and good luck on your build!

Hey DStep - about how thick was the ABS that you added for reinforcing the weak points of the knees? I’m hoping to do the same!!!

Lookin good, BTW!

Hey DStep - about how thick was the ABS that you added for reinforcing the weak points of the knees? I’m hoping to do the same!!!

Lookin good, BTW!

It was leftover ABS that I had from my TK...looks like it’s about 2mm thick. Seems to have helped a lot and the knees feel pretty solid now. I might do the same to parts of my armor. Taking the return edge down to make the armor thinner, makes some parts (like the collar) feel flimsy. Not sure if others feel the same with their armor.

Thanks and great job on yours too! I love how detailed your thread is. How soon do you think before you’re done? I’m hoping to finish mine before halloween.

Got ya
It was leftover ABS that I had from my TK...looks like it’s about 2mm thick. Seems to have helped a lot and the knees feel pretty solid now. I might do the same to parts of my armor. Taking the return edge down to make the armor thinner, makes some parts (like the collar) feel flimsy. Not sure if others feel the same with their armor.

Thanks and great job on yours too! I love how detailed your thread is. How soon do you think before you’re done? I’m hoping to finish mine before halloween.
Got ya! It was recommended by Fettpride that I reinforce certain areas. He actually left painters tape over those spots, and primed the armor; that way when I glue ABS in there then I’m getting a solid bond to the base material, ya know!?!

Thanks for the kind words - I’m very detail oriented (by trade), and it’s starting to pay off in my build I think!

I don’t have a real deadline at all. I’d like to paint my armor before the weather gets too crappy to do anything, and spend the colder months assembling everything. Halloween would be ambitious for me, hahahaha. Plus I’m a fan of making our family costume every year, so that will take time. Not to mention we are going to Disney in a few weeks too!!!

Got ya

Got ya! It was recommended by Fettpride that I reinforce certain areas. He actually left painters tape over those spots, and primed the armor; that way when I glue ABS in there then I’m getting a solid bond to the base material, ya know!?!

Thanks for the kind words - I’m very detail oriented (by trade), and it’s starting to pay off in my build I think!

I don’t have a real deadline at all. I’d like to paint my armor before the weather gets too crappy to do anything, and spend the colder months assembling everything. Halloween would be ambitious for me, hahahaha. Plus I’m a fan of making our family costume every year, so that will take time. Not to mention we are going to Disney in a few weeks too!!!

Oh that's good, that'll help give the armor some good life.

Wow Disneyland will be a nice break! I was there in July and spent the whole day in galaxys edge lol. Yeah I'm real close to finishing up. Just weathering up some parts and putting a few things together. I know it'll be ever evolving, especially if I go for infamous. Well keep up the good work!

Got some weathering done...flight suit and spats. Need to do the hip pouches next.

Started with blue mixed with a tiny bit of charcoal and did the shoulders, under the short sleeves and flaps on the thigh pockets.
8FEF9151-17D4-4799-8480-428FCCA211F8.jpeg

Added the burnt umber and straw highlights.
A00C50A1-0C19-4BB4-BED2-C0FF1E322D21.jpeg

Added charcoal next.
AA6ACAF9-1F68-4CB7-8E5D-2E39F119553E.jpeg

Finished with applying crushed charcoal for the detailed grime.
FFD13757-0768-4F26-8AB5-2CC5E1DDBEFD.jpeg

For the spats, I started with a wash of blue, then used crushed charcoal for the weathering.
0EE61876-BD80-4B3E-84B4-C243D6A28A4D.jpeg
E2F0D735-182A-44A8-BE07-135AD30D7456.jpeg

My finished helmet comes in this week and the JP should follow shortly afterwards. Just need to put a few things together and I’ll be done!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back