DStep’s ROTJ WIP build

DStep

New Hunter
Here’s my build thread on a ROTJ Boba. I’ve read a bunch of other builds and have gone over the details in the CRL. Thanks for all the great information on TDH and to those that I’ve talked to! Here’s the list of all the parts that I’ve slowly acquired since last year.

helmet - Animefan
armor (shoulders, chest, back, knees, cod, kidney) & gauntlets - Bobamaker
flight suit, neck seal, flak vest, pouches and spats - Arkady
jetpack - DVH (also commissioning)
jetpack harness - Big Dane
boots & toe spikes - Imperial Boots
ammo belt, cape - RS Props
girth belt & horsehair braids - Woodman
gloves - Mike M.
shin tools - Shapeways
chest display - Fettronics
metal greeblies - MachineCraft Replicas

I’m doing a rattle can job on the armor, thanks to the great templates from RafalFett. I’ve sent out the bucket to BH-51512 and the gauntlets to bobafetthascollegedebt to commission. They’re pretty close to being finished and I’m pretty excited!

Please let me know if you notice anything that needs to be changed, I welcome any feedback that’ll improve my build.

Last edited:
For painting the armor, I grabbed these cans at the local Home Depot.
99CCF9B8-DDB6-438F-B856-BC00FC04A152.jpeg

Here are photos of each layer. Sorry the quality of the colors aren’t great, since they were taken indoors with poor lighting. I’ll take a shot with natural light outdoors.
9E859624-98E9-494D-B5DF-94A31F988000.jpeg
9C60C790-6BD4-45A9-A4B9-53C0E9EDE196.jpeg
B5B7A4BD-CD48-47B5-BA93-81C08BA94C40.jpeg
C7E3B156-0B6D-48D5-BB4F-B5DB5523F12B.jpeg
BBB1E719-D023-4468-A50E-4EDFCC2CAA03.jpeg

Almost done with the weathering and I’ll get some finished pics outdoors, in the sun.

Took a break from the armor and brushed up on using a sewing machine, for the straps on the jetpack harness. I haven’t used a machine for almost 30 years...can’t believe it’s been that long.
2729B6D2-36F2-4077-8169-C3B9AA0FE159.jpeg

EB4263CD-5B8D-40A2-9EA4-B5A07FCCD2FC.jpeg

F6EF205F-E943-412C-AF2A-5EAC74F74D7B.jpeg

D9C869E0-7351-436C-BE49-892FB9C27E9C.jpeg

The straps for the top of the jetpack are loose to help make adjustments for fitting the jetpack.

The armor looks fantastic! Very well done, and I'm hoping I can do mine justice using rattlecans as well! How are you adding the fine, like, really fine scratches on the armor? What about the shading; is that done with an airbrush?

The armor looks fantastic! Very well done, and I'm hoping I can do mine justice using rattlecans as well! How are you adding the fine, like, really fine scratches on the armor? What about the shading; is that done with an airbrush?

Thank you! I'm not crafty or a painter, so I'm proof that it can be done with patience lol.

I was planning to buy an airbrush to do the shading, but was able to do it by applying grounded art charcoal with a sponge. The white and black scratches were done with a chalk pencil (?) that I got at a craft store.

Well, it appears to be a successful technique! How was the scaling for you of the stencils...? Did you print them at 100% for bobamaker?

Well, it appears to be a successful technique! How was the scaling for you of the stencils...? Did you print them at 100% for bobamaker?

Hey thanks, appreciate it! The thing I liked with this technique is it can be washed off and be redone, if I messed up.

Oh man, I had to use a different scale for each piece of armor, so a few test prints were done for each part. The scale ranged from around 93 to 97%. The back plate was the most difficult for me, since it was divided into 6 sections. I couldn’t get an exact scale for all the pieces to match up with the armor.

They were still a lifesaver though...I couldn’t attempt to paint it freehand, just by using reference photos lol. I give much respect to those who can do paint ups without templates!

btw you have a great build thread...well laid out and great, detailed photos!

Gauntlets came in today...thank you bobafetthascollegedebt!
0EB1E9D7-E979-490B-A6BA-5CE4ED11634F.jpeg

I still need to mount the flamethrower nozzles, attach the rocket, paint the dart tips and remove the switches on the right gauntlet.
For mounting the flamethrower nozzles, I cut out some craft foam to size and coated it with an epoxy to provide strength and support.

Thanks DStep , I’m trying to focus on details where I can cause I think that’s what makes the costume what it is!

I have Fettpride everything, so I’ll be going through the same scaling exercise as you did. Thanks for the info!!!

Almost finished with the knee darts. I used a step bit to drill out the holes in the knee armor. Drilled holes in the dart inserts and used a large bit on the back, to recess the head of the bolt. Just need to paint the rings on the darts now.

5D369031-5C99-4C3F-865A-3F66A2938A8D.jpeg

7F5BFF9C-F0CF-45D4-AEDD-2068D8853125.jpeg

40C95909-F4A0-441E-BEDB-60BB82978802.jpeg

I’m a little late to this thread, did you end up using the hint club green as your main green? It looks much darker in the first picture for some reason.

I’m a little late to this thread, did you end up using the hint club green as your main green? It looks much darker in the first picture for some reason.

Yes, it's hunt club green...the lighting in the room is just horrible, so it looks way darker than it is.

Wow! That looks killer!! That’s spot on! Where are you using the summer squash on the knees and shoulders?

hey thanks man! The summer squash is on the areas that border the silver damage on the shoulder and knee armor. The rest of the yellow on the armor (line striping yellow) is way darker because of the layer of orange that’s misted on it.

Here’s my build thread on a ROTJ Boba. I’ve read a bunch of other builds and have gone over the details in the CRL. Thanks for all the great information on TDH and to those that I’ve talked to! Here’s the list of all the parts that I’ve slowly acquired since last year.

helmet - Animefan
armor (shoulders, chest, back, knees, cod, kidney) & gauntlets - Bobamaker
flight suit, neck seal, flak vest, pouches and spats - Arkady
jetpack - DVH (also commissioning)
jetpack harness - Big Dane
Flight suit, flak vest, pouches and spats - Arkady
boots & toe spikes - Imperial Boots
ammo belt, cape - RS Props
girth belt & horsehair braids - Woodman
gloves - Mike M.
shin tools - Shapeways
chest display - Fettronics
metal greeblies - MachineCraft Replicas

I’m doing a rattle can job on the armor, thanks to the great templates from RafalFett. I’ve sent out the bucket to BH-51512 and the gauntlets to bobafetthascollegedebt to commission. They’re pretty close to being finished and I’m pretty excited!

Please let me know if you notice anything that needs to be changed, I welcome any feedback that’ll improve my build.
Do you have a link to where you purchased the shin tools on shapeways brother?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back