DP 95 to ESB - My first attempt at painting something that wasn't a wall (pic heavy)

Bounty1138

Active Hunter
I originally intended to make this a work in progress thread, but I somehow managed to finish my helmet first :lol:.
This will also serve as my introduction to the TDH community. Much like everyone here, I've been a life-long Star Wars fan.
I built my first Boba Fett costume somewhere around 1996. It was extremely basic and budget, and included an unaltered Don Post 95.
The costume wasn't fancy or very accurate, but I had a ton of fun. It served me well for the theatrical premieres of the Original Trilogy Special Editions and all three prequels. I'd pull it out occasionally for a halloween party or another event that required a costume.

About a year ago, I decided I'd try to improve it and see what would happen if I put some effort into it. I started with the helmet, as I figured anything I did would be an improvement on the stock paint job. That's when I began surfing around the internet and I came across this site.

Here's what I was starting with:

Helmet -2.jpgHelmet -1.jpgHelmet -4.jpgHelmet -3.jpg

The first order of business was cutting out the "visor" area. I tried using a Dremel, but I found it awkward and not very precise (my skill may have had something to do it). I ended up just using a sharp utility knife. The edges were much more clean. The trick was making the inside edge of the mandibles even. By inside edge, I mean the edge that faces inside the helmet and what the visor will eventually attach to. I didn't really get my head around that before starting out, which would have helped.
I subsequently ordered a visor from tvisor.com.
I think this is the single biggest improvement that can be made to this helmet. A full and proper visor looks way better. This isn't to say that there isn't a ton of other improvements to made, but it just looks "right" with a real visor.

Helmet -5.jpg

I also popped off the ear cap to removed the rangefinder and stalk. The rangefinder never stayed up and I had to wedge a piece of paper to keep it propped up when I wore it. It seem like a bit of **** shoot to see if the cap would pop off cleanly or break. Fortunately, the plastic cap popped off nicely. I used bondo glazing putty to fill in the LucasFilm stamp on the back and on the bottom of the mandibles to make them more even (not pictured).

Helmet -6.jpgHelmet -7.jpg

I used acetone to remove most the silver paint and some of the green and red paint. I could have removed it all, but I wasn't a big fan of handling the acetone and I don't think it made much of difference in the end (thankfully). After thoroughly cleaning the helmet, I applied Rustoleum grey primer.

Helmet -8.jpgHelmet -9.jpg

It already looked much better :D.

I wasn't sure how to approach the painting and looked at a number of tutorial and methods on this site and elsewhere. I had originally intended to just paint it "clean" and topically add the weathering and damage. However, I came across WelshWarrior123's excellent series of tutorials on youtube. I can't recommend them highly enough for anyone considering trying a layered paint job. It's one thing to read about how to do something and another thing entirely to see it being done.
This first part in the 26 episode series can be found at How to paint a boba fett helmet, Episode 1 - YouTube
It definitely gave me the confidence to give a layered paint job a go. He wasn't painting a Don Post helmet and he used an airbrush, but the principles are the same.

I used AFFO$’s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED with a only a few substitutions for colours I had trouble finding.
I used RafalFetts excellent templates to sort out the layers. The resources on this site are amazing.
I also only used three layers on the helmet (with a few topic touch ups and additions). I combined layers when needed and followed the directions more precisely at others.

Helmet -10.jpg

I started with the back panels and applied Testors Chrome spray paint, I used RafalFett's templates with reverse tracing paper to mark out the layer, applied liquid mask and then applied the next layer of spray paint (grey). I would peel off the liquid masking fluid, repeat the process and apply the Hunt Club Green. WelshWarrior explains this process well in his videos.

[/ATTACH]Helmet -12.jpgHelmet -13.jpgHelmet -14.jpg

I repeated this for the dome and cheeks, except that the top layer was Rustoleum Spruce Green. It was finally starting to look like Boba's helmet!!!

Helmet -16.jpgHelmet -17.jpgHelmet -18.jpg

I taped off more of the helmet, applied layers until I applied the black paint. The third shot above shows the mostly completed back panels. I did some topical touch ups after this pic was taken, but it shows the layered back panels.

Helmet -21.jpgHelmet -19.jpgHelmet -20.jpgHelmet -22.jpg

I painted the right ear with Krylon Ultra-Flat Khaki, taped off the kill stripes and used Rustoleum Yellow Inverted Striping Paint with misting Rustoleum orange for them. I painted the left ear with the same Spruce Green as the the dome.

Helmet -23.jpgHelmet -24.jpgHelmet -25.jpgHelmet -26.jpg

This next stage freaked me out a bit. I applied Vaspar flat Merlot and thought it looked pink!!! It looked much better after it dried (and inside) as the subsequent photos show. That was a relief.

I later applied some touch ups, extra topical weathering with brushes and decals from Lucksy31. The DP 95 is a little smaller than the screen accurate helmet, but I feel that the decals still worked. I thought the accuracy of the decals made up for an issues of scale with the smaller helmet. I also glued in the visor with crazy glue and hot glue. It's not going anywhere.

I'm planning to take some better photos of my completed bucket tonight. I'll post those soon along with how I finished the inside and my final weathering and clear coat. TDH has been quite the amazing resource. I'm happy I stumbled across it. Please let me know if you have any questions about anything I did and I'll be happy to answer them.

Helmet -12.jpg

Helmet -13.jpg

Helmet -14.jpg

Helmet -16.jpg

Helmet -17.jpg

Helmet -18.jpg

Helmet -19.jpg

Helmet -20.jpg

Helmet -21.jpg

Helmet -22.jpg

Helmet -23.jpg

Helmet -24.jpg

Helmet -25.jpg

Helmet -26.jpg

Helmet -1.jpg

Helmet -2.jpg

Helmet -3.jpg

Helmet -4.jpg

Helmet -5.jpg

Helmet -6.jpg

Helmet -7.jpg

Helmet -10.jpg

Helmet -8.jpg

Helmet -9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great bud, an absolute universe better than that original DP paint scheme :) Keep up the great work! (y)

Thanks Jayvee. It's been a learning experience, but I've been enjoying the process.

As promised, here are some pics of the finished product.
I'm pretty darn happy with the result. It's not 100% accurate, but it's a big improvement on the stock DP 95.
I used ultra flat black spray paint and ground up pastels to dirty it up and finished it off with Testors Dullcote.
I like how it knocked down the shine and gave it a nice finish.

Helmet -1.jpgHelmet -2.jpgHelmet -3.jpgHelmet -4.jpgHelmet -5.jpgHelmet -6.jpg

Feedback is welcome, but be gentle :)
This was the experience I needed before my Boba Maker armour arrived. I have plans to replace this one day, but it will be a long time before I finish the costume and get to point where I'm upgrading.

One thing I didn't expect was that the new visor made the helmet a bit smaller on the inside. I found my nose was up against the visor when I first put it on. To fix this, I covered a strip of foam with moisture wicking material and velcroed it to the front above the visor. It works well and is comfortable. It changed the angle enough to get my nose off the visor, but it doesn't look askew.

Helmet -7.jpgHelmet -8.jpg

Helmet -1.jpg

Helmet -2.jpg

Helmet -3.jpg

Helmet -4.jpg

Helmet -5.jpg

Helmet -6.jpg

Helmet -7.jpg

Helmet -8.jpg

I've read a couple of posts about phone cameras over saturating images, but didn't think I'd have that problem, since I have an iPhone. I guess I was wrong :facepalm. The burgundy in the phone camera pics in the top post looks rather pinkish, but the pics with the DSLR in my second post look closer to the actual color.

The Don post paint job looked so bad that a chimp could have done it :D
I really like what you have done with this bucket, i wouldn't mind having a helmet like that on my shelf.

Niiiiice... I'm currently at the kills tripe stage. I saw a **** stencil on TDH and I can't seem to find it. That tape off method seems like a night mare...

The taping was a hassle. It looked a lot easier when Welsh Warrior was doing it on the Youtube tutorial. There was a lot of adjusting and re-applying of the tape. In hindsight, I probably should have used a stencil, but I avoided have the paint leak and the subsequent touch ups by going with the tape method. Decals are always another option and they would be the easiest route by far, even if there would be some minor scaling issues with the Don Post helmet.

Much appreciated BobasDent1138, feel free to post here or PM if you have any questions along the way. There is some hope for a vinyl bucket and I learned a ton along the way that I can apply to the rest of my build.

Awesome job man! Doesn't even look like the same helmet anymore. The ground up pastels is a fantastic idea. Where did you find your reverse tracing paper?

Thanks. I found the tracing paper at Michaels. Here's a pic of the package. I never imagined that I'd spend so much time shopping there :D.

graphite paper.jpg

I found some graphite paper elsewhere, but it didn't work as well and came in big sheets that you bought individually.
I highly recommend the ground up pastels. You can apply, reapply and get it just right before putting on the dullcote and locking it into place. It's more forgiving than a rattlecan and I like the "dirt and grime" feel it gives it.

graphite paper.jpg

Thanks for the pic! I tried some graphite paper and couldn't get it to show up on the paint, guess i'll have to try it again. I'm definitely going to try your pastel technique, I was scared to death to try and weather anything with a rattlecan. If you're going back to Michaels, you can print a 40% off coupon from their website that is good on anything in the store. I think you can use your smartphone now too for the coupon. Thanks again.

Once again. Nice job with that vinyl bucket. Hope mine comes out just as nice. Thanks for sharing again. T

Looks awesome! I have an old DP that I was think of practicing on and you've given me a great push to do so. hopefully mine looks as good as yours and if I will have that same nose to visor issue?

Bounty,
Did you end up reusing the same range finder or get a new one? I just cut the visor out and gave an acetone wash. Tomorrow is primer day.

I'm still using the original rangefinder. I repainted it and it looked way better, but I've recently ordered a cold cast stock and a new topper.
For accuracy/possible 501st approval you need: The rangefinder topper is black with a translucent lower piece, black framed window and the appearance of 2 red "lights" on the top, so I'm going to upgrade.
I'm also cutting out the slots on the back and adding a replica MQ-1 circuitboard.
Good luck tomorrow.

I'm still using the original rangefinder. I repainted it and it looked way better, but I've recently ordered a cold cast stock and a new topper.
For accuracy/possible 501st approval you need: The rangefinder topper is black with a translucent lower piece, black framed window and the appearance of 2 red "lights" on the top, so I'm going to upgrade.
I'm also cutting out the slots on the back and adding a replica MQ-1 circuitboard.
Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks. I actually have an order with Bobamaker. But completion isn't expected till January. I expect to be done with my build around October. So January is along time to be without a bucket if that's the case. I figured I might as well convert mine just as you did to hold me off. I actually fiberglassed the interior of mine because the vinyl was really flexiable and would lose its shape often. Mine is slightly different:
h2.jpg

After I acetone washed it:
h23.jpg

It had the same Lucas imprint, which I bondo like you suggested:
h6.jpg

After a pretty big break from my Boba after Star Wars Celebration, I resumed work a little while ago.
It's probably time to finish my helmet and build, and my goal is to have it done by The Force Awakens on Dec. 17 (I just got tickets to the 7 pm showing on Dec. 17 instead of having to wait for a midnight showing on Dec. 18, wohoo)
I picked up cast MQ-1 Circuit Board from Darth Vorhees that I painted, as well as a cold cast stalk and RF topper from Anime Fan. I also picked up one of the self contained LED light kits from. Jc27.

IMG_2378 (1).jpg

I cut out the slots in the back of the helmet and attached the painted circuitboard with E-6000, which is my new favourite adhesive. Please note that I had to trim the "tabs" that Darth Vorhees includes with his cast circuitboard so that it sits closer to the cut out slots.
I'll post more pics soon, but I wanted to get this up while I had the time.

I just saw the new trailer and I'm super stoked for TFA.

IMG_2378 (1).jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back